General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud pipes the demize of all of us

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Bigbird07
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: loud pipes the demize of all of us

Don't worry about my grammar or IQ, no onecan offend me here on HD forum. So justlookout forroadsidepolice checks when riding yourbike.. then you ask yourself where did these laws come from, when acop pulls out decibel meter. Hopefully you pass!! I never heard ofdecibel metersten years ago, that cops carryin their cars.They sure as hell do now. Long live aftermarket pipes foroff-road or on road. so please you tell me what is loud and what isn't. your police office in yourarea knows for sure.. i wonder where he got that information?????? It's just we are being pushed into a corner ofstupid laws. Anyhoo bash me, hate me, call me what you want, i care do not CARE. it's just an ISSUE thatmaysomeday confront you..Merry christmas and best for you all in the new year.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:59 PM
jeffbcn
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I'll bite. What's a twatwaffle? Does it make your pipes quieter?

Old 12-16-2007, 02:28 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

What do the jurisdictions that have a 'noise ordinance' (be it 86 decibels or whatever) do to enforce gas powered lawn mowers, weed wackers, or chain saws that no doubt would be in violation?

I might be mistaken, but I think my chain saws, mowers, and other gas powered equipment put out much more 'noise' than my Harley's... Maybe next Spring I'll have one of the LEO's I know do a test with a decibel meter just to verify the results.

Seems to me that many of these 'noise ordinances' that people keep talking about are a form of selective enforcement which only applies to certain items, with other items being exempt, even if they are in violation as well.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Nightster 13
Tourer

ORIGINAL: badwhine

ORIGINAL: Bigbird07

Get real politicians are going to make your bike and my bike sound like sewing machine in future. thanks to very loud pipes.if you don't think so you are****** yesfreedom of speech freedom of expression,but watch out it's coming less noise, less freedom.
Yes they are and you can thank all the riders that need to be seen and heard. Uhhhh? Never attract attention to yourself; if you do you become a target. And the gov't has figured out that all the high profile loud bikes are a source of revenue.

What, i can't hear you

Old 12-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bigbird07
Anyhoo bash me, hate me, call me what you want, i care do not CARE. it's just an ISSUE thatmaysomeday confront you..
You just don't get it do you?

YOU ARE THE PROBLEM and YOU are the one giving US a lecture!

GET F'ING REAL!

I mean damn! Do you have sex and then complain about your ***** being wet too?

I mean really..............

Old 12-16-2007, 05:35 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

What do the jurisdictions that have a 'noise ordinance' (be it 86 decibels or whatever) do to enforce gas powered lawn mowers, weed wackers, or chain saws that no doubt would be in violation?

I might be mistaken, but I think my chain saws, mowers, and other gas powered equipment put out much more 'noise' than my Harley's... Maybe next Spring I'll have one of the LEO's I know do a test with a decibel meter just to verify the results.

I think they would point out that the difference is that people don't generally run chain saws, mowers and the like in the town tourist area. New Hope is an artsy fartsy historic town along the Delaware with open cafes and bars along the center drag. When you get a group of bikes or even onewith open pipes the soundcan be deafening as it echos off the buildings.

Sometimes they just stop in one place and rev their engines as if in a contest to see who has the loudest pipes. You can't even carry on a conversation. So I think the town fathers or mothers were pretty much forced to do something.Hopefully their efforts will be confined to just the worst offenders and not the nice guys like me. Honest officer, they're stock pipes.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:11 PM
zuma
Road Captain

My pipe is a little curved, but it sounds and feels great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so she says...

Old 12-17-2007, 06:24 AM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the old days they had a sophisticated device called a coat hanger that they would insert into the pipe and if it didn't catch on a baffle you could be getting a ticket.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:35 AM
t_m34
Tourer

I don't know about anyone else but I will definitely be using the term "twatwaffle" in the future. Don't know exactly when, but I can't wait!

Old 12-17-2007, 08:34 AM
ERHugger
Cruiser

Skip the twatwaffle, I'll just have the quimcakes.

Quick Reply: loud pipes the demize of all of us