General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I just being cranky or has it finally gotten under my skin?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts
Default RE: Am I just being cranky or has it finally gotten under my skin?

Personally ,I couldn't give a flying flip either way. Jrsess

Old 12-13-2007, 02:03 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dinger

Yes, you're a little to sensitive.

I've wanted to own a Harley for over 10 years and couldn't afford one. Doesn't mean Icouldn't wear a HD T-shirt and I actually didhave a couple that I got for my birthday in 2001 and I was proud to wear them evenas I rode my Kawasaki! It made me yearn fora HDthat much more!

Many people love Harleys and don't have one. Some can't afford one, others will never ride.Wearing the logo makes them feel part of the family. I'm sure you all get alot of thumbs up from people standing on the corner or sitting in thier car. Those are the kind that would wear a T-shirt.

The bottom line is Harley Davidson'sout there to generate revenue. We are just a number and onlyappreciated by themwhen we're buying something.

Don't worry whether that personbuyinga logo shirt or belt buckleowns a bike. You do and that's all that should matter!
Very well stated.

Why it would be a cause for concern as to whether or not someone held title to a bike prior to his/her acquiring an H-D brand of motorclothes is beyond me? Some of you folks have far too much time on your hands if these are the types of things which cause your mind to stir. At the end of the day, does it really matter? Does it impact any of us? No it doesn't; on both counts. Ride, be safe, and live YOUR life as you see fit. People who strive to keep their own counsel are far better served in the long term as a result.

Wanna' buy an H-D something or other but don't have a bike (for whatever reason)? I say GREAT. More power to ya! Just because we (H-D bike owners) happen to own a bike doesn't give us exclusive license or rights to 'all things Harley'.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:06 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bear64

ORIGINAL: UH60Hwkdrvr

No biker lifestyle! Only HD marketing!

M.A.C.
What is the biker lifestyle?? enlighten me please?[sm=chattypair.gif]
or better yet "you don't have to own a Harley to live the lifestyle..."

What is the "Harley" lifestyle? Does everybody that owns a Harley live the "Harley" lifestyle?[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 12-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Barton
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: lenrough

"... so co'mon down and get your gear, you don't have to own a Harley to live the lifestyle..."
Harley is defining a whole new lifestyle is all.

It is the"visit-dealerships-to-collect-as-many-Harley-logos-you-can Lifestyle" The first person to have a Harley logo on every item in their house and every t-shirt wins.

It is very similar to the Beanie Baby Collector Lifestyle, the Coca-Cola Memorabilia Collector Lifestyleand the now extinct Cabbage Patch Collector Lifestyle.

If it allows them to keep making bikes in a tight economy, more power to them!

Old 12-13-2007, 02:46 PM
krautrock
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lenrough
Am I just being cranky or has it finally gotten under my skin?
Cranky. Definitely. 'Cause there's no point in caring about a) what other people do, and b) what other people think of you (e.g., while you're wearing something with the H-D logo on it). If the stealer has an item on the shelf that I like, I buy it ... not because I'm hoping that other people will think I'm cool but because I like it ... couldn't give two ***** if someone spots me and thinks I might be a poser, why the hell would I care?

As far as people without bikes going out and buying H-D stuff ... whatever floats their boat is fine by me. As long as it doesn't intrude "my space".

Old 12-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Bishop73
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

So what does it make a person that owns and rides a Harley, AND buys clothes and accessories (GASP) from HD? I'll tell ya what it makes them, an individual, buying/wearing/riding/doing what THEY want because it's THEIR life. I will never understand how people can profess their undying loyalty to their HD bike and said "lifestyle" but will in the same breath call it the "stealership" and confess that they will NEVER buy any HD logo merchandise. Ah well, things that make you go hmm I suppose.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:59 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: Big Sled

Gee... I have the bike but don't have a single tee-shirt. Wifey gets em all in XXL and then claims em as nighties.[quote]ORIGINAL: Biker Trash

You too! My OL lives in those as house dresses.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Arcane
Road Master

It does not bother me if someone that does not own a Harley Davidson wears HD branded clothing. Obviously there are those that find the thought of a "non owner" wearing an HD logo troubling. Selling the HD clothing helps fatten the bottom line and anything that does that helps keep the doors open at the MOCO. There are enough real concerns out there in today’s world that require attention. Fretting over whether the guy buying an HD t-shirt actually owns a Harley Davidson motorcycle is laughable. It would make a great comedy routine on SNL.

Arcane

Old 12-13-2007, 03:06 PM
TwiggyAZ
Banned

Just makes me buy more Harley stock!! buy buy buy!! And show me the money!

Seriously, I don't care if the whole world wears HD stuff but does not have a bike. I DO care if I have one or not though. Gawd I know that's selfish....but I did my non-selfish time. Now it's just about me me me me!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhh that felt great!

Buy more!!!

Old 12-13-2007, 03:32 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What if you do own a Harley and don't live the Harley lifestyle (whatever that is)? Does that make you just as bad as the guy wearing the shirt with no hope of ever affording a bike?

How about the guy with the official NY Yankees ball cap Derek Jeter jersey? Is he a baseball poser because he doesn't really play for the Yankees?

You might be bothered by the marketing but don't hate the guy buying the clothes. I own several T-shirts and am proud to wear them. I'm not out making a point to not buy anything from the moco for some odd reason. I typically buy my clothes elsewhere because they are more affordable. But, personally, I would have never put a t-shirt on before I owned the bike - just seems silly to me. But, more power to you if you want to walk around having to answer the inevitable question - "what kind of Harley do you have?". That must be awkward when all you really have is a shirt.

Quick Reply: Am I just being cranky or has it finally gotten under my skin?