General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody Crack a few Ribs? UPDATE!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anybody Crack a few Ribs? UPDATE!!

Monday monrning I was waking in my driveway and just remarked that there was no ice, just water.

2 seconds later I hit a patch of ice and my feet flew out from under me and I fell on my back and cracked 3 ribs on my left side and 1 rib on my right. Stayed in the hosipital ovenignt on Monday and came home yesterday.

Even with pain meds it hurts to do just about anything expect being totally still.

Can anyone who'sbeen through this let me know how long before I feel somewhat normal again?

Thanks,
Sammi

Old 12-12-2007, 08:42 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Anybody Crack a few Ribs?

Sorry to hear about your spill. Black ice is a bad thing, on foot or on wheels.

Never broke any ribs so I can't answer your question, but good luck.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:49 AM
WildBillAce2
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a bad bike wreck years ago and broke four ribs (and a few other things like my neck). The ribs hurt the worst out of it all, but after about two weeks it shouldn't be so bad.

Hope you recover quickly!

Old 12-12-2007, 08:49 AM
fmbeach
Tourer

Yep cracked/bruised several in an avoidance wreck before the labor day weekend on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Roanoke.

Took out my windsheild, right mirrior and tweaked the handle bars. Chest and ribs took most of the impact. Riderin front of me highsided after hitting an overlook curb. I missed him, his bike and all the camping gear it was shedding but washed my front tire out in wet grass at 40 mph or so.Dug a pretty long trench with my right side engine guard. But, missed a tree, culvert and the entrance sign. Good wreck if there is such a thing. No one seriously hurt and we all road out after some "adjustments".

Continued the trip in a fair amount of pain for the next 3000 miles. Developed a cough/cold when I got home 2 weeks later which didn't help healing any. Took almost 8 weeks to completely heal. Advil is you friend ... will help with the swelling.

Hang in there and heal up.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:07 AM
kruisin
Cruiser

Yes, Motocross racing, cased a jump and went over the bars, landed so hard the protector couldn't stop the force and broke four. One week of pure agony and another of pain and another before I could work (plumber).

In another race the next year I went down and snapped my collar bone in half (I thought I dislocated my shoulder), I picked up my bike and finished the race. Missed 3 months of work with that one.

Funny thing is the ribs hurt worse than any other injury I've had (racing motocross you are normally nursing an injury or two all season). Had one of my best performances when I could barely walk my bike to the starting line.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:08 AM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife did once... expect two to three weeks before you feel decent.

Sorry about the slip. Hope you are better soon.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:15 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Treated cracked ribs before and know how painful it can be if you have them. Try to breathe as deep as you can, even if it might be a little painful. Do this a couple of times a day. You're in cold/flu season and shallow breathing can expose you more than normal because you're not breathing like you normally do. Last thing you want is a cold/bronchitis/flu. Good luck and be patient. Uh, no pun intended there.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:50 AM
HOGinit
Cruiser

Broke five Right side, It hurt like H*** for about 3 weeks, couldn't lie down with out a lot of pain, I bought a recliner and slept in it. that relieved the pain some. Watch out for puntured lung and pnuenmoniathey can make it just plain nasty in addition to the pain and prolong the recuperation process.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:52 AM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you gotta watch that waking in the drive way . but yes ribs hurt bad for a week or so just be sure not to cough or sneeze that really hurts..

Old 12-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the info - sounds like a couple weeks of this crap before it turns the corner.

Been sleeping in the recliner, doing deep breathing to prevent pneumonia, and dreading every cough that comes my way.

At least it's too cold to ride!!!

Sammi

Quick Reply: Anybody Crack a few Ribs? UPDATE!!