General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody Crack a few Ribs? UPDATE!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts
Default RE: Anybody Crack a few Ribs?

2-3 weeks it will feel better.

You're lucky, my brother did the same last year, busted his leg up real good. He's full of titanium rods now.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Sammi

Monday monrning I was waking in my driveway and just remarked that there was no ice, just water.

2 seconds later I hit a patch of ice and my feet flew out from under me and I fell on my back and cracked 3 ribs on my left side and 1 rib on my right. Stayed in the hosipital ovenignt on Monday and came home yesterday.

Even with pain meds it hurts to do just about anything expect being totally still.

Can anyone who'sbeen through this let me know how long before I feel somewhat normal again?

Thanks,
Sammi

more times then I care to remember, sleeping in a upright chair, trying not to laugh or breath deep, oh yeah, I feel for ya..mostley about 2-3 weeks and it should be ok, try not to watch to many roadrunner cartoons, man they hurt.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:38 AM
VegasBruce
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 2 to 3 weeks, thats what it took for me. But it will feel great when it quits hurtin'.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:42 AM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of the pain is gone after 2 or 3 weeks, but those ribs will occasionally let you know they are still sore every now and then for 6 to 8 weeks.

I broke two ribs after jumping up out of the water to grab something off my boat, as my luck runs a wave came along and moved the boat under me so I hit it on the way down. The next summer, I was leaning over to grab a ski out of the water which meant the bow rail was right across my chest and I could actually hear those same two ribs crack again. Last August I went down riding, and you guessed it...broke the same two ribs again.

Hope you heal soon!

Old 12-12-2007, 10:53 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cracked rib hurts like a MF. Better hope you don't catch a cold and have to do any sneezing or coughing or you will be hurting even more. I found a slick patch of surface mud one day when riding my 4-wheeler and got carried away cutting some doughnuts. Well, imagine what happens when the mud wears away and you hit dry hard dirt. I jumped clear as it was about to flip over and landed right on the side of my chest and cracked 2 ribs. It takes a while - like a couple of weeks for the pain to become acceptable but even longer than that for it to completely go away. Hang in there.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:01 AM
smudge
Tourer

Depends on your age! Back in the day when I was doing karate regularly it was not uncommon to crack a few ribs sparring. I healed a lot quicker back then! -3 weeks tops I would say.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:12 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,703 Likes on 2,126 Posts

Living in the snow country sooner or later it happens - 3 times for me. The second time I wound up getting a cold after my fall. If you can stand it, keep the ribs wrapped fairly tight for about 2 weeks. Sneezing and coughing is very painful and the wrapping helps. Shallow breathing is no fun either butevery time you take a deep breath your chest expands putting pressure on the ribs and sometimes it hurts so bad it will bring tears to your eyes.

Anything that keeps the chest from expanding for a couple of weeks will speed the healing process. Kick back and take it easy. Even when you feel better don't push it ( don't ask me how I know). Heal quickly.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:36 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Cracke 2 of mine took 2-3 weeks to feel ok about 6 months to feel good

Old 12-12-2007, 01:30 PM
DMSC
Road Master

I crashed while riding my mountain bike (bicycle) one time. I lnaded on my right elbow/forearm and craked two ribs on my left side! Go figure...

healing will depend on YOUR healing rate as we all heal differently. For me, it was a couple of weeks.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Only about 8 of them or so.......

Quick Reply: Anybody Crack a few Ribs? UPDATE!!