General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Reflection

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:52 AM
Pitts2112
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet Reflection

Got a question for you helmetted riders out there. I've got a full-face Shoei, which I like just fine. I get a bit of fogging in it, but I've learned to crack the visor when I'm under 30 mph and that seems to clear it fast enough. The real issue, though, is that I get reflection on the inside of the visor when it's sunny out. It's especially bad at this time of the year when the sun is so low in the sky, even at noon. I've tried cracking the visor a notch or two, sunglasses, anti-fog insert in and out, nothing seems to help.

Any ideas?

The real problem is that the reflection is of my own face and that's just more frightening than I can deal with when trying to ride!!!

Cheers,
Shawn

Old 12-11-2007, 09:06 AM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Helmet Reflection

Do you mean the reflection is on the inside of the face shield itself?

Old 12-11-2007, 09:11 AM
espacef1fan
Cruiser

Get a second tinted/mirroed visor?

(Kepp the clear...though!)

Or just like in your car.....deal with the glare...

You could always look cooler with a doo-rag and safety glassesthough..oh yeah.....and fingerless gloves...haha

Old 12-11-2007, 09:12 AM
mwhit069
Cruiser

Not much you can do during the day with a clear visor try a tinted ont for day time use. Mike

Old 12-11-2007, 09:52 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a product out and I'm not sure what it's called but it is a strip of smoked vinyl about an inch and a half wide that goes across the top of your face shield and acts like a visor. Maybe another way of describing it is that it would be similar to the tint across the top of your automobile windshield. I have used one of these on my helmet for years and it's great. When you turn to do a head check I know of several guys that have had it blown off their face shield. I have a little strip of black electrical tape on each side to help prevent that and have never had a problem.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:05 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wear a full face with a dark tinted visor and sunglasses. I tried just sunglasses with a clear visor, but it was blinding, riding into the sun, in SW Florida. I keep the original clear visor in my saddlebag in case I need tochange to it,at night. I never have bothered yet, to change back to the clear. I use regular glasses at night and flip the visor up if it is still too dark. Never have experienced the reflection problem.
You don't see many Harley rider'swearing a full face helmet, at leastin my area of Florida.
It must be illegal.
Tom

Old 12-11-2007, 10:46 AM
SpringerDude
Tourer

I have a Shoei full face with a clear shield. In the daytime, I wear sunglasses (models with straight ear pieces work best because they slide right back) and night, no sunglasses. I've never noticed any internal reflection and now I'm afraid to look.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Pitts2112
Road Captain

Thanks guys. I hear what you're saying about the fullface helmet, but I'm still new enough that I think I need that level of protection. I may come down from that as confidence and time in the saddle increase, but for now I'll stick with it. I like the idea of a tinted visor and may give that a try, but until I can get one, the tinted strip sounds like a good idea. I was thinking of that to kind of take the place of a the sun visor in a car, but I really like the openness of the view you get (even with a helmet) when riding as opposed to being in a cage.

Thanks for the tips, guys!!

Shawn

Old 12-11-2007, 10:55 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Shawn, some of us that have been riding a "long time" still think safety is a good idea. Another thing I've seen guys try that you could do for a temporary fix is run a piece of duct tape across the top of the face shield. Adjust it to whatever height you want and just trim the excess off. True, it will cut off your upper vision some but it might be something you can try in the meantime.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:54 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser

As others have said get a dark tinted shield (its a 30 second job to swap them out). If you don't want that then try a Sundowner sun strip (goes across the top of the shield and works great). You can get a Shoei pinlock faceshield to take care of the fogging. Its a new faceshield with 2 pins mounted in it. you then get inserts that it snaps into (fog problem is gone). I don't have that but from everyone I've talked to it works great (like you I just crack the shield some). I know alot of people don't like a full face but I love them. did a 7,000 mile trip about 10 years ago and expected all types of weather so thought it would be a good idea (always rode with a 3/4 befor that). After that 19 day ride I was hooked. I take the 3/4 out some and try it again but go right back to the full face. Protection is part of it but I find I'm just much more comfortable in the full face. Its a bit warm in the summer but heck if its 90 out it's hot no matter what you have one...but then again...to each his own!

Gary
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Helmet Reflection