General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Reflection

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Barton
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helmet Reflection

I use a Shoei RF1000

Concerning the internal reflection of your face: I get a little bit of reflection in the worst conditions but I never notice it. I had to really look for it today to even see it was there. Did you coat your visor with an anti-fog material? That could be affecting the reflection properties of your visor. If so, try cleaning it off andtry it again.

Concerning the sun: Go to your local auto parts store and buy a cheap sheet roll of window tint. Cut a stip a bit bigger than your middle finger and intall it horizontally at the top of your visor. The install instructions just uses soapy water to get it to stick. You can try installing it on the inside or outside. On the inside the wind wont blow it off. But it might stick better to the convex curve of the outside. Then you can pass on the tint roll to all your friends to use on their helmets.

Just tilt your head forward a bit to block out the sun.

When the sun isnt a problem you are only shading out a cloud a worst.

Even if you get two shields it will be nice to have this on your clear shield just in case.

I hope that helps.

Barton

Old 12-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Barton
Cruiser

Onethought on fogged shields: I discovered a breathing technique that helps. Breath in through your nose and then blow out through your mouth downwards towards your chest. This forces the moist air out of the helmetand keeps you from adding more from your own breath.

I can get a mildly fogged shield clear in just a couple of breaths. Once the shield is clear and the temperatures have stabilized you can go back to normal breathing.

Barton

Old 12-11-2007, 02:12 PM
azhole
Road Master

I wear polarized clip ons on my regular glasses. Sometimes it doesn't seem to block the sun as well as I'd like, but I don't recall any reflection though, but then I only wear the helmet rarely.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:18 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

depending on the helmet you have you maybe able to get a transition shield. for fogging see if you can get a shield for your nose. other wise I have a scropion exo-700 it has a fog shield build in and a vetn to stop the fogging still have alittle problem if stopped at a light for an extended amount of time.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:14 PM
txgeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have that ugly reflection of the ahem.....riders face too but I have a gold tinted shield.
Thank God it's my face vs yours! <G>

After a couple of days I stopped noticing it. I have never seen that on a clear shield.

As for the FF, I have glasses and hate the feeling of confinement and putting the glasses on and off when using a FF helmet. I do use a 3/4 every time I ride. Not as safe as a FF but a lot better than total street pizza.

I bet you will get used to the reflection & if the FF makes you feel safer, don't let anyone talk you out of it.