General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike shortage.......lol

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:16 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts
Default RE: Bike shortage.......lol

ORIGINAL: JC650

I thought I read somewhere that they were producing maybe 10-12k less this year. Thats not a lot less when total production is still over 300k imo.Im not sure if those figures are accurate or true though, like I said I may have read it on here before.
You are pretty close on your number.

From the Kansas City Star:
Shipments this year are expected to be between 328,000 and 332,000 vehicles, down from 349,196 last year. In September, the company announced that its five manufacturing plants, including Kansas City, will be down the week of Nov. 26 in response to the weaker demand.

A 17K to 21K reduction in the number of bikes (5 to 6%) doesn't seem to me like a number that will create a drastic shortage. especially with weaker demand.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:42 AM
rnothog
Tourer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Flooded show rooms here in Arizona, but they are still pretty unyielding on price.Bikeless and ready to buy, went to a local dealer (Stubbs)with an '07Springer that has been sitting there upwards of maybe 6-8 months or longer, and asked if they'd deal.Salesman (who looked wet behind the ears) was too lazy orstupid to recognize a buyer when he saw one and get someone who could answer that question STAT."Well, that was the last year they made that it."Right, perhaps because it was such a slow seller???

I walked out.They weren't even busy - deserted, more like it. Guess they don't want the money. They (dealers) must be really fat from the past dozenyears, but they are also sitting on big dealerships that are engines demanding fuel for running the lights, paying staff, taxes, mortgages, etc. etc.Bet more than a few will ultimately have to close their doors, unfortunately.

Careful balance they have to run between not angering the faithful bycutting prices after sooooo many havebeen gouged sooooo much or being left with '08 inventory in '09 or even 10.

Sooner or later, they're gonna have to deal.

What the hell, it's been cold (OK-cold for here, alright?) and rainy here inPhx and not much good for riding the past couple of weeks.I can wait.

Sooner or later, they're gonna have to deal...I hope I hope.

BTW, all types of 105 anniversary models sitting here unsold - Ultra's, you name it.Pricey and not going home with anybody.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 665 Likes on 414 Posts

Many dealers have left over 2007inventory. This and the flat economy are likely the reasonsHarley is reducing dealer allocation of2008 models.Harley has to be careful, however. If theycreatewaiting lists, buyers might turn to the used market, which is flooded withclean, low mileage bikes.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:04 PM
57springer57
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A waiting list ?? [sm=laughingsmilie.gif][sm=laughingsmilie.gif][sm=laughingsmilie.gif][sm=laughingsmilie.gif][sm=laughingsmilie.gif][sm=laughingsmilie.gif][sm=laughingsmilie.gif][sm=laughingsmilie.gif] who are they kidding???

Old 12-11-2007, 12:06 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know everyday that I go to my Dealers for bike stuff. They are still sale bike just as fast as they get them. We do a lot of demo rides on there first new model as they come in. But they are selling the demo bikes before we can take a ride on them.With sale like that they are still doing a good.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:10 PM
wardenwf
Cruiser

Fort Worth Harley has pulled all the prices off of the '08s. Price tags are still on the '07s. I was there on a Sunday so there were no salespeople to ask about it. 07's are still priced at MSRP.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:10 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I forgot about that rocker C. I have not seen a dealer keep one on the floor that had the rear seat as of this time. They are sold before they can hit the floors.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:14 PM
zuma
Road Captain

The market is definetly changing. The economy and housing is still going to impact the FU$ market. I do see a lot of 105s on the market. I think they made too many to create a true long term value of the 105. I was not nto Harleys in 2003 so I do not know what they did then. Maybe all 2003 showed the 100 year. I don't think so since it is a specific color. Maybe some one can shed some light.
zuma

Old 12-11-2007, 12:20 PM
crazeehorse
Intermediate

Some dealerships deal... I picked up an 07 FXDWG for $14,495 total. If I had bought that bike 3 months earlier it would have sodt me $19,200 out the door.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

ORIGINAL: rnothog
BTW, all types of 105 anniversary models sitting here unsold - Ultra's, you name it.Pricey and not going home with anybody.

The dealer I purchased my 07' from can't sell the 105 anniversary models either...

Quick Reply: Bike shortage.......lol