General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery tender & alarm

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 03:55 PM
hdcheck
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery tender & alarm

I am seeing different answers on this board regarding installation of the battery quick connect harness.

If I disconnect the battery to install the harness, will the security system be screwed up or is there a time lag where it won't forget? Is there a correct way to do this install? Or, do you have to do the reset as per the owners manual (playing with ignition and turn signals)? I have seen yes and no to these questions before. Can anyone clear this up?
06 Dyna

Old 12-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Battery tender & alarm

You should have no problem with an 06....unplug away. There is an issue with the 07's, if you unhook the battery for too long, you can run into trouble and may need to reflash at your expense (no I don't agree with that). Our mechanics went on a course last year and the instructor told them that with the 07 bikes you need to leave the battery plugged in. We actually had to call past customers and tell them to leave their batteries in...........which is a problem if you are storing it somewhere that doesn't have electricity. But again, even on the 07's you are talking an extended period of time.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

oops

Old 12-09-2007, 04:18 PM
WaterHog
Road Captain

I installed tender cable on 06 Deuce, no problems here.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Sam,
Does that apply to the 08's as well? I was just getting ready to remove the battery for winter.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:10 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Howdy Delta,, good to see you here again,,, 08 model???,, what have you done my friend,,, Chappy hasn't followed suit yet has he???

Old 12-09-2007, 05:21 PM
DensFLH
Cruiser

I have an 06 EG w/factory alarm, disconnected the battery to hook up battery tender and it didn't screw up the code/alarm. However, I wouldn't have the alarm set when I disconnected the battery.....

Old 12-09-2007, 06:47 PM
hdcheck
Stage IV

Good show. Thanks. One more thing. There is some chat about having to have the ignition on. Is this necessary. I was planning on just having the alarm off, pulling the battery cover (and seat if I have to),the pull the neg cable first, install the harness, reverse and done, all with ignition off. Any problem with this?

Old 12-09-2007, 10:34 PM
BeenDown
Intermediate

That will work just fine hdcheck. You're really only going to have the battery unhooked for a number of seconds. It doesn't take but a few seconds to pull the bolt and run it through the connector for your battery tender and thread it back in the same hole it came from.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Delta

Sam,
Does that apply to the 08's as well? I was just getting ready to remove the battery for winter.
Delta, yep, it's the same thing. On the 07 and 08 models (according to the Harley Techs that trained our guys) if you leave the battery out for an extended period of time, you will need to reflash. I pm'ed you about this,like I said;it still amazes me that they didn't come up with a fix for this in 08.

Quick Reply: Battery tender & alarm