General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike market saturated

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 09:28 PM
SPOON
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike market saturated

With the last couple of years being very good for bike sales, will the price of bikes go down, or stablalize.
Spoon

Old 12-08-2007, 10:04 PM
lolife
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: bike market saturated

yes............rite now Its a buyers market.................... . . . ................

Old 12-09-2007, 05:26 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Heck yeah. the price of bikes will go down, and so will the equity of a used bike. Sad but true. I have even read where some are buying new '08 below MSRP. Even just last year, that was almost unheard of. More reason to hold on to that old bike, and modify it to suit your needs. But, if you are in the market for a new one, there might not be a better time to buy, IMO.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:46 AM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: PapaTravis

Heck yeah. the price of bikes will go down, and so will the equity of a used bike. Sad but true. I have even read where some are buying new '08 below MSRP. Even just last year, that was almost unheard of. More reason to hold on to that old bike, and modify it to suit your needs. But, if you are in the market for a new one, there might not be a better time to buy, IMO.
Totally agree. The days of buying a bike, riding it a couple of years and selling it for more than youpaid are long gone. Harleys and all bikes are going to depreciate just likeany other vehicle.

That is really how it works and it just took a long time for the supply to catch up and then exceed the demand.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:16 AM
HDHornet
Road Warrior

Yup, I've really noticed the prices of used bikes dropping big time. There are so many used bikes to choose from now that the sellers have to compete with each other and are forced to drop their prices.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:37 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

oh no,,,,, say it aint so.....

wake up,,, smell the ... economy!

Old 12-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Navychief
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Supply and demand. Too many new and used scoots out there for the average guy to turn much of a profit.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:19 AM
chopperz71
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

The price of used HD's will sky rocket! Buy all you can now!

Old 12-09-2007, 11:20 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

There are a **** load of fairly priced low mileage, very clean bikes out there right now.....that is usually the case come the Winter months anyway....it just seems that this year with the economy the way it is that there is even more bikes that in past years driving down the price a bit more.
Now that the HD supply has caught up (well almost) with demand that also brings overall price of both new and used bikes down even further.
Well....I say so friggen what? That info is only useful to those who are either trying to sell or buy a used bike. I didn't buy a new Street Glide for a investment. I bought it because I wanted it, and I could afford it.....I was so happy the day I bought it, that I never entertained the thought of selling it in the future, or what shape the bike market would be in then.....who cares....I am happy!
With a very limited production piece like my 03' CVO Screaming Eagle Deuce I know it will command a slight premium becauseits not only a100th anniversary model, but because the models with the Gold Centennial Package were even more limited than the basic 100th anniversary FXSTD. Even the engine cases have a 100th anniversary logo cast into it.....and the engine is a 95" with 203 cams, high compressionflat top pistons, SE heads....and whatever other goodies came stock on that model. I love everything about that bike, and will not be selling it....so it works both ways. Like another member said now is the time to hold onto your couple year old bike and get your money's worth out of it.....unless you want a brand new bike.....it is a good time to buy.....just dont look to sell right away.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Tactical1
Tourer

the market has been saturated for a little over a year now.

I bought my 02 RKC for 11k last october.

Hell, even the dealers who used to be asses are kissing *** now to sell stuff. I go in for a few things and thyre asking of I got oil, cleaners, filters, etc, etc.

It used to be "wtf do you want? You're in my space little person."[:@]

Good time to be buying a bike and a customer...finally

Quick Reply: bike market saturated