General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for UK members regarding helmets

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 05:57 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Question for UK members regarding helmets

ORIGINAL: drifter4

Where I live in Canada, the Highway Traffic Act allows for not just dot approved BUT ALSO Snell approved helmets.
That's why I ordered my Cromwell Spitfire helmet from England. It is just as light as my carbon fiber and great for cold weather.

I encourage anyone that may have questions about helmet approval, to cantact your local Dept of Transport (Govt.) office prior to contacting local police dept's.
I say this, not to be mean but, becausea lot of police officers don't realize that Snell rated helmets are in fact listed under the act, as an approved helmet.

My wife didn't approve how-ever after she found out I paid over $700 Can. to get it hear.
That's right drifter, it has to be at least DOT approved (DOT is the low end of the scale), so yes Snell is allowed, since it is set to tougher testing. It is the same law from one end of Canada to the other. If DOT is the low end, then yes,anything higher would be allowed. That is why so many bike shops in Canada sell Snell approved helmets and so many riders wear them. Not trying to rag on you, but honestly, I've never met a LEO that didn't know that

Old 12-10-2007, 10:07 AM
raym87
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question for UK members regarding helmets

[quote]ORIGINAL: krautrock

The only recognized standard throughout the EU is ECE 22.05, with the tiny exception that active personnel in the US armed forces are allowed to wear a DOT (not Snell) approved helmet in Germany and one other country (forgot which one) - this works in those two countries only, though - and only for armed forces personnel, regular consumers need not apply.[/quot

You may be right in saying that the ECE 22.05 is the only one that covers the whole of the EU but what about..

BS 6658:1985

and

Nordic Safety Standards SIS 882411 and DS 2124.1
Sweden and Denmark respectively .

(maybe there are others as well)
dont forget that if they are legal in one member state then they are legal in all