General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for UK members regarding helmets

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 06:30 AM
krautrock
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Question for UK members regarding helmets

ORIGINAL: raym87
Are you able to tell me where you have seen this in writing. I would love to know what the required standards are in other EU member states. The only thing I am sure of is that if a particular standard is good in one member state then its good in all. ...
WebBikeWorld has a good summary on the topic as well as a direct link to the pertinent PDF doc. I have also seen the text of the regulation directly on the EU site (www.europe.eu), but didn't save the link.

The only recognized standard throughout the EU is ECE 22.05, with the tiny exception that active personnel in the US armed forces are allowed to wear a DOT (not Snell) approved helmet in Germany and one other country (forgot which one) - this works in those two countries only, though - and only for armed forces personnel, regular consumers need not apply.

ORIGINAL: raym87
... Just for fun now.....while watching the tv, how many times have you seen someone on a bike say in Spain or somewhere (usually a hot country), wearing a shorty helmet. There are loads of them everywhere......either the police dont care or they have officially licenced them for use on their roads..........
The former them mediterranean types are sometimes a bit lax when it comes to enforcing their own rules ... unless they get to pull over a car/nbike belonging to a tourist, of course ....

Old 12-09-2007, 06:40 AM
Malc_F
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that most coppers wouldnt know what helmet was what anyway. I wear a helmet bought from a shop for 35 quid and for the life of me I couldnt say (without going and looking) what the helmets safety marks are or whatever.

I think that some of the helmets that really look like theyre taking the **** might get a pull from a copper but Ive never personally been pulled neither does anyone I know and one of the lads uses some little ****-pot type thing with flames on!

Old 12-09-2007, 11:50 AM
wolfydude
Cruiser

Hi Raym87,
I took a look at that helmet on sale at Ebay,i noticed the standard information gave BS 2001/5,im unsure if these helmets can still be used in the UK legally,as i know the new BS standard is BS 6658.
I didnt think any of the pudding helmets could be worn here legally,but then again i couldnt see the police stopping you along the road and asking to look at your helmet.
Helmets are made to save your life so you would think the law would be more tight about this issue.

Picked this up on the web.

[blockquote]All road legal motorcycle helmets sold in the UK must conform to ECE 22-05 or the older British Standard 6658 (categorised as Type A (blue label) or Type B (green label). These stickers are normally located on the back of the helmet and will also include a batch identity number. ECE 22-05 helmets are tested by BSI, and have the BSI Kitemark on the label. If it doesn't have a sticker or kitemark, don't buy it, it may be an import and will not be legal on British roads. A recent article suggested that most Traffic Police were not interested in the safety stamp, providing the helmet was a recognisable brand and model. However, this may change in the future.
The BSI 6658 and ECE 22-05 standards are among the toughest tests for motorcycle helmets in the world. They are generally accepted to be better than the American DOT and older European CE standards, although they are broadly equivalent to the SNELL M2000 standard. These standards don't just test new helmet designs, but mandate testing of a %age of all batches manufactured (typically around 1%) with ongoing continuous inspection and recertification. All this helps to reduce the risk to you in the event of an accident.
Your helmet may also have an Auto-Cycling Union (ACU) gold or silver badge. The ACU is the governing body of motorcycle sport throughout the British Isles, excluding Ireland. ACU accreditation is different from the BSI standards, however they typically match the standard, with ACU gold going to most BS6658 Type A helmets and Silver to Type Bs. The price of a type B will range from between about £40 to £100, while a Type A will start at around £70 to over £400. Always try to go for a type A/gold if you can afford it, as it will give better protection and should last longer. You will also be allowed to use it on a track day if you wish.
While it is not a legal requirement to have a visor, if one is fitted it must comply with the BS 4110 ZA or YA test standards. These standards define impact and scratch resistance as well as tint. Blacked out visors are not road legal as is any visor not marked with the BS stamp.
[blockquote]In the UK you will typically have a choice of:[/blockquote]

Full Face - Having an integral chin guard and visor that closes onto the chin bar

Open Face - Having only a visor or open face without a chin guard.

Combined - Having a chin bar that can be released, such as those used by the police
[/blockquote]

Wolfydude

Old 12-09-2007, 01:18 PM
raym87
Intermediate

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehi...dgo4563?page=2

Wolfydude.....check out this link and you will see that the fleabay helmet standard is listed there.

With regard to the combined type of helmet....it used to be illegal to ride with the chinguard up....not sure if it still is.....but how many times have you seen riders doing exactly that.......

Its a nightmare out there but rest assured I aint going to be wearing anything that doesnt at least give me a fighting chance.
I started this thread just to show the screw up that exists with regards to this sublect. I hope the americans have a clearer system installed but saying that, it doesnt help us over here.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:21 PM
paulca
Road Captain

raym87, the UK/EC system isn't difficult if you buy your helment from a reputable source. Buying secondhand or from eBay, etc., wouldn't be my first choice. You cannot be certain whether or not the helmet is a fake orfalsely labelledor a"second", whatever - safety and value issues.

With regard to non ACU or EC approved if it looks relatively "normal" and you aren't doing anything silly enough (like wearing chaps and tassles ) to cause the constables have a little chat with you, they arenot likely tobother.

Here's an interesting lidby Davida (a UK company); they don't conform to any standard but you see them on the street.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:40 PM
wolfydude
Cruiser

Raym87
Many thanks for the UK Standard link.never really knew much about UK standards on helmet law,but since this thread i have been educated a bit more in this issue.
Cheers
Wolfydude

Old 12-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another Davida helmet......this is from their Racing Line.

I GOTTA get me one of these.............but why does it have Duct tape around it??

[IMG]local://upfiles/10510/D7680BAE713B4EC4AF88CB3E2C8CD254.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-09-2007, 05:06 PM
raym87
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: wolfydude

Raym87
Many thanks for the UK Standard link.never really knew much about UK standards on helmet law,but since this thread i have been educated a bit more in this issue.
Cheers
Wolfydude
Glad to be of help
Are you as confused as I am
Paulca and Sam posted some pics of a couple of Davida helmets....anything Davida is damn good kit but they dont conform. That old one on Fleabay does meet standards and is legal to wear.....even though its over 40 yrs old and doesnt really offer any protection.....see...its all screwed up.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:11 PM
drifter4
Cruiser

Where I live in Canada, the Highway Traffic Act allows for not just dot approved BUT ALSO Snell approved helmets.
That's why I ordered my Cromwell Spitfire helmet from England. It is just as light as my carbon fiber and great for cold weather.

I encourage anyone that may have questions about helmet approval, to cantact your local Dept of Transport (Govt.) office prior to contacting local police dept's.
I say this, not to be mean but, becausea lot of police officers don't realize that Snell rated helmets are in fact listed under the act, as an approved helmet.

My wife didn't approve how-ever after she found out I paid over $700 Can. to get it hear.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Pitts2112
Road Captain

When I was buying my riding gear this summer, an experienced mate of mine told me to buy everything I could in the US (at half the cost) except the helmet, for all the reasons discussed here. But he mentioned one other reason that really got my attention: If you're wearing a non-EC approved helmet, your insurance company probably won't pay out if you have an accident. That would probably include your life, medical, income protection, and any other kind of insurance that might be affected by a motorcycle accident.

Whatever my medical or other bills might be if that ever happens, they're going to be a lot more than the £250 I paid for an EU-approved helmet. For me it was almost a warranty issue. I bought the EU helmet so as not to void the warranty on my insurance premiums!

just my .02 worth

Quick Reply: Question for UK members regarding helmets