General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"repaired title" in advertisement

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 09:30 AM
fyh
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "repaired title" in advertisement

Hello folks,

I've been reading these forums for a little while now, but obviously haven't posted much.
I haven't been on a bike in over 10 years, but I've got the itch again.

I live in Pensacola, Florida, and I've been bike shopping all over town. I saw a listing this morning on cycletrader.com for an '05 Softtail... not sure which softtail model. The listing doesn't specify, and I'm notvery good at recognizing all the softtail models.

The listing says "repaired Florida title, not wrecked"

Do any of you have any idea what the implications might be for a "repaired" title? Is that like a salvage title?

I thought I'd check with all of you before calling the guy.

Thanks in advance,
fyh.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:49 AM
07RoadGlide
Banned
Default RE: "repaired title" in advertisement

It's my understanding that a "repaired" title is one that was, at one time, a salvage bike that was fixed back to specs. I don't understand what "Repaired, not wrecked" is though, unless it was a theft that got stripped and recoveredand they rebuilt the bike. That's only a guess though.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:58 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't mess with any bike out there with a repaired, salvage, or other of type 'branded title'.

Too many used, clean titledbikes on the market right now, so it's pretty much a buyers market.

You might save some money initially when purchasing a vehicle with a 'branded title', but you will probably never known the full details of what happened to the bike, or it's true current condition.

It's up to each person, but I'd stay clear of a 'branded title' vehicle.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:01 AM
fyh
Advanced

Thanks for the quick replies!

You're right, there are Tons of nice bikes out there right now... I don't think I'm going to bother with that one.

Another question: Is there any type of "carfax" style report for bikes?

fyh

Old 12-07-2007, 10:02 AM
06train
Road Warrior

Repairable
A Repairable Salvage Title is issued to a vehicle that has been declared a total loss but can be repaired. This title type requires at least one sub-brand of collision, theft, fire, vandalism, salt, flood or other. As per the state of Mass.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:16 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

"CarFax" type reports are only as accurate as various reporting agencies (insurance, police, etc.).....

For example;

If I was riding a bike and had an accident, had a buddy help load it up and take it home so we could repair the cracked frame, bend tubes, or replace damaged parts, the accident or repairs would never show up on a "CarFax" type report if an accident claim or report wasn't filed.

((Also, it is much easier than most think to get a 'washed title' to a vehicle. This happens more often than it should on vehicles that had previous'branded titles'.... So just be careful when looking at any type of questionable vehicle.))

Old 12-07-2007, 12:12 PM
SaltyBagger
Tourer

It's a bike that started out with a salvage title and now has a branded title. Branded means that it has been repaired and inspected by some responsible agencyand now deemed road worthy. The real issue, as others have pointed out is why was it salvaged in the first place. If it was salt water immersion I would run screaming. If it was bent forks, wheeland plastic parts then, maybe not so bad.But, realise, that branding will stay with the title forever. If you get a sceamingly low price it might be worth it but, again as others said, there are a lot of bikes out there.

BTW, I bought my 88 eglide out of a junkyard with a clean title. It had been dropped at low speed and only had bad plastics. It just cost more to buy fairings and tour pacs from the dealer than the bike was worth. The insurance company totaled it but since there was no structural damage it kept it's "clean" title. As it sits today I have less than $8k in it, including purchase and shipping. That made it a worth while deal for me.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:26 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SaltyBagger

But, realise, that branding will stay with the title forever.
That is true if everyone was 'honest', but as we all know, that is not the case for some dealers and individuals involved in selling vehicles.

As mentioned in another post, it isn't that difficult to get what is commonly know as a "Washed Title" on a vehicle that has a branded title. Even easier if the vehicle is registered from state to state.

Buyer beware on any deals that seem to be 'too good to be true'.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:35 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The bike was sold by insurance with a salvage title. Once repaired it can carry a repaired title. If the frame was damaged a new frame can be gotten from HD with the same serial number on it. This case it will then carry a repaired title. Might be a perfectly good bike, but you need to ask questions and maybe take someone with you that has more expertice than you.

Truth is, when buying used from a private party, know what to look for. You can be had very easily.

I have bought vehicles from insurance companies and got a clean title, even though legally it should have had a salvage title. Depends on who you know.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:42 PM
ROADRAGE98
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Repairable is different in some states and doesn't meet the same requirements as salvaged. I agree on some of the other posts that a carfax report is a good one to have.
As far as my opinion on purchase of this bike I'm a little different. I have owned a truck that was a salvaged title and it was one of the best vehicles I ever owned. Ask yourself this: I'm I buying the vehicle for myself with no interest in re-sale. Is this going to be a long term ownership. Does the bike look and good and is mechanically sound.Can I save money with this purchase. If you can answer "yes" to some of these then if I were in your shoes I would consider buying the bike.

Quick Reply: "repaired title" in advertisement