General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ricer intolerance?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 02:48 AM
flhx74
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ricer intolerance?

I'd own just about any HD and be proud. I'd probably own about any sportbike and see the beauty in it. I appreciate both for what they are...opposite ends of the propoganda.

But for some reason, no way in hell would I own a Japanese cruiser. Just doesn't seem right.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:31 AM
GaryWayne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone doesn't want a Harley and no not all of us are jealous that you have one. I've owned 29 bikes in my 40 year's of riding and 3 of the have been Halrey's. I really liked all of them (especially my FXLR) but unlike most people as I've gotten older I'm not comfortable on a cruiser style bike. I find that the sport/touring bikes work out much better for me (I'm on a Yamaha FJR now). That doesn't mean I don't like Harleys..heck I read this forum every day bacause of my interest in them. All that said I do think that if you want a cruiser than Harley makes the best..for alot of reasons. Their paint and chrome is second to none. They styling is spot on and they just feel good.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 12-09-2007, 10:46 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: GaryWayne

Everyone doesn't want a Harley and no not all of us are jealous that you have one. I've owned 29 bikes in my 40 year's of riding and 3 of the have been Halrey's. I really liked all of them (especially my FXLR) but unlike most people as I've gotten older I'm not comfortable on a cruiser style bike. I find that the sport/touring bikes work out much better for me (I'm on a Yamaha FJR now). That doesn't mean I don't like Harleys..heck I read this forum every day bacause of my interest in them. All that said I do think that if you want a cruiser than Harley makes the best..for alot of reasons. Their paint and chrome is second to none. They styling is spot on and they just feel good.
[align=left][/align]
I have to agree with your thinking. Presently I'm having alot of fun with my 1200 C Sportster. Looking back at my past bikes, the two that I had, that were other than Harleys, were sport touring bikes. The Honda ST 1100 and BMW R 1150 RT were both incredible bikes. Of the two I find it interesting that the one I miss is the Honda ST 1100. That's probably the only bike I ever sold that I regret doing so. It was one incredible motorcycle.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:02 AM
GaryWayne
Cruiser

[align=left]
ORIGINAL: whaap
[/align]
ORIGINAL: GaryWayne

[align=left][/align]
I have to agree with your thinking. Presently I'm having alot of fun with my 1200 C Sportster. Looking back at my past bikes, the two that I had, that were other than Harleys, were sport touring bikes. The Honda ST 1100 and BMW R 1150 RT were both incredible bikes. Of the two I find it interesting that the one I miss is the Honda ST 1100. That's probably the only bike I ever sold that I regret doing so. It was one incredible motorcycle.

I'm with you on that one. I had 2 ST1100's and a ST1300. I think the ST1100 was the best all around bike I've ever owned (I did several 5-7,000 mile trips on them), got to love that 300+ gas range when traveling plus it required almost no upkeep. I had a BMW R1100RT which I really liked but got rid of due to no dealers and it was somewhat expensive to maintain (but a great bike).

Old 12-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: thumperhumper

I guess I don't really understand why some of us despise the guys who ride ricers and the machines themselves. I have owned ricers and a BMW and they were all good machines...just different types of machines. WE ALL LOVE TO RIDE!
Don't get me wrong, I love my Harley and wouldn't trade it for anything but there is something to be said for the other bikes as well. Aco-worker buddy of mine owns a ricer sport bike and we love to talk about riding because he has it in his blood just like me, therefore a common bond...we both understand the freedom of riding. In fact I like to admire his bike and he admires my Harley...both areawesome machines, just very different machines.
I guess what I am trying to say is that I form my opinion about a person on who they are, not on the make of bike they ride.
On the other hand if a ricer flipped me off or something just because I'm on my Harley there's gonna be trouble.

I guess I have to ask why we call them "ricers" in the first place. We don't call BMWs "Krauters." We don't call HD "Hamburers" We don't call Ducatis "Spaghettis." I just don't care for the term "ricer." I'm not PC, I just thinkcan dobetter than calling Japanese products "ricers."

Old 12-09-2007, 12:06 PM
HSdropout
Cruiser

WTF I thought this was a Harley Forum....awlful lot of tolerance here....

My dog is rice tolerant....rice and lamb, in fact, corn makes him itch....go figure?

[IMG]local://upfiles/44315/56EFCEB2637B4E558F64C24ECBB6F238.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-09-2007, 12:38 PM
kingk9
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, I raise the white flag. I'm gonna go sell my inferior Harley and buy a metric as fast as I can. But I will at least have the decency to then go to a metric forum and not tell everyone there that the Harley I owned was the best bike I ever had and I wish I still had it. I imagine they would be about as thrilled about that as I am about this. It looks like Harley fans (there are some here right?) are about as tolerant as you can get after reading the drivel in this thread. I don't know...just seems sorta disrespectful to me.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:23 PM
HSdropout
Cruiser

this one has obviously gone to the dogs.....

Old 12-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Hap_Hazard
Cruiser

What's between your ears is of far more importance to me,than what bike you choose to put between your legs.[/align]

Old 12-09-2007, 04:23 PM
laz
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 9,623 Likes on 3,437 Posts

I respect all bikers, regardless of what they ride. If you're broke down on the side of the road, I'm stopping no matter whether you're on a Harley, a Honda, a BMW.... That said, if you think the anti-ricer sentiment is heavy here, you need to take a quick look at the boards on sportbike.com. (Yes, I looked....but only for a couple of minutes!) There's plenty of good natured kidding and a little real animosity toward our metric brothers here. Over there is a pure, blinding hatred for Harleys, Harley riders, and the Harley lifestyle. Check it out for yourself--do a search with "Harley" in the search parameters for the subject line.

For the record, I wave at sportbikes.

Oops, I didn't mean to hijack your post. I clicked on edit instead of quote and got in here by accident. Sorry, it's an Admin thing.

Terry

Quick Reply: Ricer intolerance?