General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ricer intolerance?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 11:06 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Ricer intolerance?

ORIGINAL: thumperhumper
I don't care what kind of bike someone rides. But let me tell you I have a JOHN DEERE tractor, and my neighbor has a CUB CADET! Man, don't get me started on THAT! Heck I won't even WAVE to him when he is out on it ! And sometimes he wears FINGERLESS GLOVES when he mows! ! ! !
[/quote]
I replaced my Cub with a JD that has a Kawasaki engine, I'm so ashamed!!

Old 12-07-2007, 11:22 AM
espacef1fan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: will2002

I just wish that I was young enough, and could stand the PAINof the seating position to ride one. [:@]I kinda l like the bikes!
They arent too bad on th highway...

Big thing is get some helibars that raise the clipons about 2-3 inches for around town..doesnt sound like much but it makes it sit more like a Buell lightning(street fighter)....than say...a sportbike Takes almsot all the pain out of it that way.....but as I said before..the wind takes the pain away on the highway...

Also it helps if you make sure you are about 5'6"-5'8" if you want to ride one comfortably...

Old 12-07-2007, 11:32 AM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got an '05 Sportster 1200 for around town and an '06 FJR1300 for long distance traveling. These bikes represent both ends of the technology spectrum, but I wouldn't say one is better than the other. They're just different, engineered for entirely different purposes. Bottom line: I don't have time to worry about who is riding what. None of these manufacturers is paying me to pimp their line and 'brand loyalty' is a meaningless concept and, certainly, not a two-way street.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:39 AM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Out of the dozen bikes I've owned and more that I have ridden, the majority were 'metrics'. Heck, I love all of them. I've had many acquaintances ask me about squids being 'squidley'. I always say don't blame the bike for the rider. People also ask me 'what should they do' when squids are weaving through traffic. Some say they are even 'scared' when they are around. Sheesh! As far as 'what to do?', I say 'do nothing-just keep going as you were and know they are there. That's it. One of my worst near-accident situations came when following a woman on a two lane road. Suddenly we were passed by two bikes in a no-passing areagoing about 80. After both bikes cleared us and were continuing on, the woman suddenly slammed on her brakes and dove for the shoulder. I nearly ended up parked in her trunk! We stopped at the next intersection and I rolled the window down. She was still in a tizzie and I asked what the heck was she doing back there. She said she thought they needed room! I pointed out that they were already down the road when she did that and I almost ran over her-that was not real smart. Squid behavior is self correcting in the long run, so I don't worry about it.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:41 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm rice milk intolerant...yep...just don't like it [:'(]

Old 12-07-2007, 11:42 AM
stevent
Road Master

WellI ride both sothere are a few different points of view. Obviously squids doing 70 mph wheelies down I-5 and cutting in and out of traffic at high speeds is total B.S. and the kind of stuff that causes a lot of hate and discontent towards us, as does extremetriple digetriding in general. If you want to ride like that take it to the track. However it is fun to ride a powerful good handleing bike at a brisk pace down some twisty backroad and a decent performance Can sounds good on a 4 cylinder as well as on a Harley.

From their side the biggest beef is very loud pipes and large groups, nothing worse than getting woke up in the morning by your neighbor yo-yoing his throttle through a set of straight pipes at 0500 or gettingstuck behind a thundering herd of Harleys going 10 miles under the speed limiton a nice road or conversly a Harley rider doing exactly the speed limit in the carpool lane or left lane on the freeway, that's why you get these high speed pass's and passing in your lane. I'm not defending that behaviour, I'm just pointing out cause and effect.Another perception is the drinking and riding. It's not unusual to see a few Harleys and cruisersin front of almost every back road tavern on even the warmest days, then to come across a bunch of them wobbeling and weaving down the road under the speed limit isn't improving the image either.

For the Sportbikes, yeah power ranger suits and full race leathers look kinda' foolish on the street. On the plus side though, a full face helmet and an armored riding suit is going to save you from a lot of misery if you go down at any kind of speed and bright colorsgive blind asscagers a better chance of seeing you. Leather chaps or leather pants an jackets keep your hide intact as well thoughall black make you hard to see in low light situations.
I consider guys riding around in jeans and a tee shirt or shorts and a tee shirt to be in the same boat whether they're on a Harley or a sportbike, yes it's nice in hot weather but boy I hope you never hit the road because believe me it's gonna be ugly.

Anyway, those are my perceptions from riding on both sides of the coin. My personal feeling is that Harley riding is a lot more fun that sport riding andI ride my Dyna way more than the Suzukihowever they're both fun in the right circumstance

Old 12-07-2007, 11:45 AM
espacef1fan
Cruiser

Yeah...I dont think I could have a Harley for me only bike....unless they start making sportbikes(again) and dirtbikes(again)

A Buell is not a Harley...related but not that closely...lol

That said...man I'm really thinking about going down to the dealer soon to test ride a Sporty 1200R.....and then to the Triumph dealer to try a Bonneville or Scrambler...

All 3 are beautiful, classic styled bikes...

What do you call a british bike anyways?

its not a ricer...so what do you call it?(Besides cool...haha)

Old 12-07-2007, 11:56 AM
INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It really sucks that the guy that created the power rangers modeled the power ranger suit after motorcycle racing gear.
But then to it sucks that the *** in the village people modeled his attire after harley gear.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:05 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just can't tolerate sticky rice, or rice in soup. You've got to be able to easily separate the cooked kernels with a fork. Fried rice is OK, I prefer the lighter, japanese style to the heavier, chinese style!

Old 12-07-2007, 12:06 PM
stevent
Road Master

ORIGINAL: espacef1fan

That said...man I'm really thinking about going down to the dealer soon to test ride a Sporty 1200R.....and then to the Triumph dealer to try a Bonneville or Scrambler...

All 3 are beautiful, classic styled bikes...

What do you call a british bike anyways?

i

Before I came back to Harleys this time around I had an '02 Triumph Trophy 1200 that I flat loved, rode the **** out of and got nailed on by some bastardstreet racer in a Civic. At the same time I had an '05 Thruxton 900 Cafe` Racer that was fun as hell as my play bike but my back got hammered in the wreck and it was painful to ride with clip ons.I traded that for an '06 T100 Bonneville that was also a kick in the butt to ride and I was quite happy with that and my 1200 BandittillI woke up one morning and said **** it, I want another Harley, so I traded it off on an '05 Dyna Superglide w/ 4k miles on it, stuck on a set of foreward controls and bars off a Wide Glide and have been happy as a pig in poop ever since.

Modern Triumphs rock dude, they are a total blast to ride and there's almostas much aftermarket support as for HD.

Quick Reply: Ricer intolerance?