General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you love about these magnificent machines?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Wildcat68
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you love about these magnificent machines?

I have been reading/looking/posting for a short time here, been riding 35 of my 39 years. I LOVE MOTORCYCLES and as evident by the bikes I have seen on this site so do you guys. I know there is a nice mix of new/old/just startin/been doin it/amatuer/professional builders/homemade mods/stealer mods etc...
So I thought I would ask the question.
What do you guys love about these magnificent machines?

Personally I love the personality that each and every HD has.
The solitude of riding and wrenching, and the ability/opportunity to pass along this passion to my little boy..

Thanks for reading and hopefully responding, be safe and enjoy

[IMG]local://upfiles/42922/5A6D701F2FF64BB8B71E60F8DA3F685A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-06-2007, 03:08 PM
ScooterHD69
Cruiser
Default RE: What do you love about these magnificent machines?

I love just about everything about an old Harley. The vibrations, the feel , the looks, the sound, the history. I love working on old Harleys and keeping them up. I can't really put my finger on any one thing.
I just remember when I was a kid back in the fifties and seeing the old Harleys (new at the time) and thinking one of these days I'm gonna be ridin one of those. Well I finally grew up and low and behold I'm the old geezer that some of the kids are lookin at.
Still love em, wounldn't trade my old scooter for anything. Been riding Harleys for about 35 years now. I like some of the other bikes for what they are, but they are not for me. Just give me an old shovel or an old pan, a little gas, and I'm a happy camper.
Oh yeah and a good set of tools to wrench on them with.

Scooter

Old 12-06-2007, 03:12 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

Hmmm what do I love about them? Well, I love the fact that I can get out and experience riding with others, some better riders than I, some with less experience, and NO one treats you any differently because of your experience. Who knew in April when I bought this bike that I'd have over 7K on her by December, miles that even include a fallride through the mountain passes here in Washington.

I've found a new passion. She doesn't ask much, regular maintenance, gas, etc. and she gives me so much more...

I love the feeling of the wind in my face, my hair streaming behind me in the wind, and yeah, I love the looks I get from guys (especially the ones in their jacked up Ford Pickups) when they realize that's a lady riding that Harley.

I've been a risk taker all my life so I guess I'd have to add that I love the element of danger involved in riding. I don't ride beyond my limits (although I do get pushed to try new things... Thanks to a good friend) and I ride as safely as possible, but that element of risk is still there.

Kind of sappy but, its how I feel.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Idiot
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love that the bike is American and retains a sense of mystique. Very few bikes generate as much interest, admiration, and controversy.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:35 PM
texas725
Outstanding HDF Member

A clear title

Old 12-06-2007, 03:51 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

it's got an electric starter

Old 12-06-2007, 03:54 PM
ClutchCargopa
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I always admired the size and sound of an HD. To me it represents old iron, something substantial to ride down a two lane, to ride on a country road with the leaves the smells and the sound in your ear. It is a total package that affords me the oppertunity to unwind, not care about anyone else and relax. To bad the winter had changed the relaxation part because the ride is over for this year, but I have great memories with friends and conversation that will sustain me through the winter. I will meet those friends next riding season and pickup where we left off just like no time has expired.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:13 PM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been wanting aHarley since the 86'-89' Sportster came out when I was in high school. Went in the Army & I was always in the desert and had to have a Hot Rod so I never got around to buying 1. Then marriage & kids didn't really have the money or really didn't think about it until my son asked for a dirt bike. So I bought us a couple and then a couple years ago my bud bought a Shadow and wanted to try my RM250 out so I tried his street bike out. The very next day I went and bought a street bike[8D]And now I have the Harley I have wanted for many years and I can't explain it but it's all I think about[]We have a foot of snow and I can't take it[&o]

Old 12-06-2007, 04:20 PM
TwiggyAZ
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mystery of it.

Why is it that I can have a raging headache from stress at work, come home and take even a 30 minute ride, and when I get off, no headache and I am so happy. What is that?

Why is it when I go out to wrench, clean, just fiddle with the bike that a couple hours have passed before I even notice time? And when I am done, I feel like the beast says, ahhh, thank you?

Why is it that even though each class of Harley is the same, I never get tired of looking at another persons bike, what they did to it, and even see in their face how much THEY love it?

Why do I feel like I'm so different when I am riding? Like I'm not who I am to society, but I am ME?

Why do I think it looks perfect, only to be going thru the book looking for more stuff to put on it?

Why, whenever I go by her in the garage, I TALK to her..."hi Lucy" "your looking good today" "sorry we couldn't ride today" "omg your a beautiful beast" "wanna ride?" "Oh, it's ok, we'll ride tomorrow, honest"...

Why do I run my hand across the tank and just smile and feel.........content?

Why...is steel, moving parts, rubber..........such an amazing therapy?

That's what I love...the Mystery of why these machines give so much GOOD to a person.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:31 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I love all the cliche stuff about ridin' a Harley. But mostly I just love the fact that the wife and I have something to look forward to that puts an absolute ****-eatin' grin on our face no matter what's going on in life.

Quick Reply: What do you love about these magnificent machines?