General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got pulled over for vert side mounted license plate!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:13 PM
djamann
Club Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Got pulled over for vert side mounted license plate!

In OH 20 MPH over the limit is Reckless Operation, a 6 point violation. I think 25 0r 30 over is automatic jail time. Good luck in TN

Old 12-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bigkev

Well. . . . . . actually got pulled over for going 90 mph in a 45 while lane sharing with buddy on his bike. Oh and for wearing a beanie helmet. But anyway, the trooper said my vertical mounted license plate was illegal. Does anybody live in TN and know if that is true. He didnt write me a ticket for the plate so it made me wonder. I have searched TDOT and DMV motorcycle law and I cannot find it anywhere.
Sniff, sniff, is that a troll I smell?

Old 12-05-2007, 09:24 PM
LT753
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Tripper

Well. . . . . . actually got pulled over for going 90 mph in a 45 while lane sharing with buddy on his bike. Oh and for wearing a beanie helmet. But anyway, the trooper said my vertical mounted license plate was illegal. Does anybody live in TN and know if that is true. He didnt write me a ticket for the plate so it made me wonder. I have searched TDOT and DMV motorcycle law and I cannot find it anywhere.
You just might be on to something!!!

Lynn

Old 12-05-2007, 09:29 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tripper

Hesure seems to be especially since his subject line was one thing and then he started out bragging about doing 90 mph in a 45 which is probably BS and if it isn't, well we all know about the gene pool.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:32 PM
DR.Greenthumb
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kolni

ORIGINAL: espacef1fan

As for street racing...yeah I do it....though I do it in ym car....

Racing on the street is just stupid. At least four people a year die in my city thanks to people like you, usually predestrians.
Kolni,This is a quote from you on another thread.Where areyou racing cages? At the strip.

If you can't out run mosts cars on your bike than you just suck at riding.

that or you should have bought a Sportsters, I have only lost once to a cage and that was a serious high performance truck F150 lightning

Old 12-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Cwboyscooby
Tourer

ORIGINAL: LT753

Yes, it is illegal in Tennessee. By the way in Tennessee so is lane sharing.Im not even going to mention the speed. Be safe,

Lynn
Ouch.... TN sounds like they don't like bikers.
Both are legal in Texas..... and I don't understand why vertical plates would be illegal anywhere?

Old 12-06-2007, 05:02 AM
espacef1fan
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: DR.Greenthumb

ORIGINAL: Kolni

ORIGINAL: espacef1fan

As for street racing...yeah I do it....though I do it in ym car....

Racing on the street is just stupid. At least four people a year die in my city thanks to people like you, usually predestrians.
Kolni,This is a quote from you on another thread.Where areyou racing cages? At the strip.

If you can't out run mosts cars on your bike than you just suck at riding.

that or you should have bought a Sportsters, I have only lost once to a cage and that was a serious high performance truck F150 lightning
Believe me when i say this...evena stock VROD would have fits outrunning me....in ym car.

As for the rest of the respones to my comment..yes I have insurance....and no i dont race through areas congested enoguh to hit pedestrians....

The bottom line here is that I'm very selective where and WHEN I do it.

Also most of these street racing deaths you speak of...they are causd by retards in hondas and such that go speeding throguh congested areas..carrying on races for miles like int he need for speed races...not just simple..qurater mile or lesss races froma dig...

My car takes less than 12 seconds to break 100mph...Thats why I am selective where and whenI race.....usually thoguh my point is proven(or not)by about 80 and we both shut it down..

I'd race my bike...but Umm....I'd have to race Chevy caviliers fromt he 80s if my dual sport was to have a chance..lol...

Old 12-06-2007, 05:08 AM
azhole
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Time2ride

ORIGINAL: azhole
In AZ you would be going to jail for anything over 20 mph over the speed limit. It is actually a criminal offense here. The top speed here is 75 mph on the interstates, and it's only 10 mph over there before it's a criminal charge.
True, but I have torun 85-90 daily on the 101 just to keep from getting ran over. Iwill say that AZ cops are very forgiving of motorcycles speeding in normal traffic... as long as they aren't doing 90 in a 45 while drag racing. That would get you thrown in jail inheartbeat.
I agree on the speeds on the freeways here. I am usually going close to 80 mph in my service van, and have had to work on not getting up to there on the ultra. Staying down isn't as big of a problem on the sportster though
Not trying to rub the wrong way, but for all the law abiding, that's the speed you have to ride unless you want to be an obstacle on the freeways in phoenix nowadays. It's become just like a race track, no kidding, when people are in a hurry here, most of the time.
I was pulled over one night at 82 mph in my service van, and the cop told me to keep it down, and kicked me loose when he found out I was on my way to make someone a key that was stuck in a parking lot late at night. That was a pretty cool cop.
Seems like the motor cops always nod when we pass on bikes I would swear about half of them are grinning like they're just out riding and getting paid, and loving it Never been pulled over on either of my street bikes. Have had problems on my old dirt bike though...

Old 12-06-2007, 06:30 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

There is no inspection for motorcycles in Tn.....so how could they say its illegal to have a vertically mounted license plate?

Tn. state MC laws

Old 12-06-2007, 07:37 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

ORIGINAL: biz44

There is no inspection for motorcycles in Tn.....so how could they say its illegal to have a vertically mounted license plate?

Tn. state MC laws
What does one have to do with the other? There are no inspections in Nebraska either but vertical plates are illegal here too.

Quick Reply: Got pulled over for vert side mounted license plate!