General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got pulled over for vert side mounted license plate!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 05:36 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Got pulled over for vert side mounted license plate!

I think we can all agree that posted speed limits are not always realistic. No need to pass judgement, I'm sure we've all gotten a little frisky from time to time. My one and only speeding ticket was for doing 65mph in a 35mph. Sounds terrible doesn't it? No, it's a wide open stretch of road that should be posted 55mph.

Had my bike for almost a year in Florida and never got hassled. After moving to TN, I've had more run-ins with the law than the previous 18yrs of driving. Guess they have nothing better to do. Been pulled over for the tag once and for my friggin' helmet on the Natchez Trace Parkway.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:36 PM
espacef1fan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW Speed doesnt CAUSE accidents..look it up on the NHTSA website...

Its all aobut being distracted(cell phones, eating,etc), and lack of skill(following too close..too fast FOR CONDITIONS..no skill..like I said..)

Old 12-05-2007, 05:47 PM
LT753
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: CraigC

I think we can all agree that posted speed limits are not always realistic. No need to pass judgement, I'm sure we've all gotten a little frisky from time to time. My one and only speeding ticket was for doing 65mph in a 35mph. Sounds terrible doesn't it? No, it's a wide open stretch of road that should be posted 55mph.

Had my bike for almost a year in Florida and never got hassled. After moving to TN, I've had more run-ins with the law than the previous 18yrs of driving. Guess they have nothing better to do. Been pulled over for the tag once and for my friggin' helmet on the Natchez Trace Parkway.
Actually we do have better things to do, but if we don't deal with this we end up working some hellacious wrecks. Remember it's not how well you handle yourself on your bike, it's how well someone else doesn't handle it when they don't see you. How about spending at least one thought thinking this through before bashing the LEO's who try to keep the road safe for you.

Lynn

Old 12-05-2007, 05:50 PM
LT753
Road Warrior

I just realized I posted something wrong earlier and I want to clear it up. Lane splitting is illegal in Tennessee, not sharing a lane. My fault and sorry for giving out wrong info.

Lynn

Old 12-05-2007, 06:48 PM
krautrock
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: espacef1fan
BTW Speed doesnt CAUSE accidents ...
Yes, in general that is true. Point in case ... in 2006 Germany, where considerable portions of the Autobahn are still without speed limits, had approx. 6.18 traffic fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants, whereas the US had 14.43 - more than twice as many. So yes, I'd rather drive on the Autobahn for 12 hours than spending an hour on an interstate in the US, be that inside a cage or on a bike. On the other hand, though ...

... As for street racing...yeah I do it....though I do it in ym car ... but again I only do it in select times and places(where its me , the guy I'm racing..and maybe some wildlife/vegetation at risk..but thats it) ...
Nonsense. Unless it's a closed track that isn't open to general traffic, you'll never know for sure what might or might not come your way. 2nd point in case ... my OL's uncle took an evening walk along a "lonely stretch" of road in rural AL three years ago when (so described by witnesses from about 1/4 mile away) two cars came "racing" down the road, one of which swerved off the road and his rearview mirror struck the OL's uncle in the back. The two cars took off, drivers never found and the uncle ... well, he died at the scene even before the ambulance arrived.

In short ... anyone who races on public roads should have their license suspended & their vehicle impounded ... as far as I'm concerned do that indefinitely and throw in some jail time to sweeten the deal. Nothing more educational than spending a few years taking showers with one's new, 400lb. boyfriend.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:01 PM
espacef1fan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: krautrock

BTW Speed doesnt CAUSE accidents ...
Yes, in general that is true. Point in case ... in 2006 Germany, where considerable portions of the Autobahn are still without speed limits, had approx. 6.18 traffic fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants, whereas the US had 14.43 - more than twice as many. So yes, I'd rather drive on the Autobahn for 12 hours than spending an hour on an interstate in the US, be that inside a cage or on a bike. On the other hand, though ...

... As for street racing...yeah I do it....though I do it in ym car ... but again I only do it in select times and places(where its me , the guy I'm racing..and maybe some wildlife/vegetation at risk..but thats it) ...
Nonsense. Unless it's a closed track that isn't open to general traffic, you'll never know for sure what might or might not come your way. 2nd point in case ... my OL's uncle took an evening walk along a "lonely stretch" of road in rural AL three years ago when (so described by witnesses from about 1/4 mile away) two cars came "racing" down the road, one of which swerved off the road and his rearview mirror struck the OL's uncle in the back. The two cars took off, drivers never found and the uncle ... well, he died at the scene even before the ambulance arrived.

In short ... anyone who races on public roads should have their license suspended & their vehicle impounded ... as far as I'm concerned do that indefinitely and throw in some jail time to sweeten the deal. Nothing more educational than spending a few years taking showers with one's new, 400lb. boyfriend.

But you are cool with cellphones while driving? Find some statistics that show me that show me street racing dominates or is something other than measurable cause of death for US motorists....I bet youll find inattention and alchhol are far far greater contributors to the deaths of US motorists...

As for the solution to street racing....

Give us a place to race safely...

Quit allowing tracks that were once in the middle of nowhere to be closed down....because someone moved in next door and said...."Gee its loud here"(Same thing happens to airports..BTW)

Alterinatively have police close industrial parks and give us the place to do it....

You know..just give us a place to do it..nearby, often and not SUPER expensive....

Alot of places have tracks enarby...about 4 hours nearby..that are only open 2 time a week..maybe...but closed for a portion of the year....and alot fo track fees are $20 or more....and you MIGHT get 3-4 passes at these tracks on a busy night....if you spend 9 hours there...

Why do people street race?

Yeah...thats why......everyone is part of the problem..not the solution.....

Old 12-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Jeeezeus!!!!! Now that we all have our lessons learned and hammered home by the Internet preachers, delete all comments except Lt753's.
Gonna put me in Jail again Lt???

Old 12-05-2007, 07:15 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bigkev

Well. . . . . . actually got pulled over for going 90 mph in a 45 while lane sharing with buddy on his bike. Oh and for wearing a beanie helmet. But anyway, the trooper said my vertical mounted license plate was illegal. Does anybody live in TN and know if that is true. He didnt write me a ticket for the plate so it made me wonder. I have searched TDOT and DMV motorcycle law and I cannot find it anywhere.
But don't you ride one of those POS Harleys that won't do over 65??!![sm=confused06.gif][sm=dontgetit.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

By the way...welcome to the forum (From NY)

Old 12-05-2007, 07:17 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ******

Jeeezeus!!!!! Now that we all have our lessons learned and hammered home by the Internet preachers, delete all comments except Lt753's.
Gonna put me in Jail again Lt???
That wasn't jail ******...that was a dog cage...and that wasn't grits you ate for breakfast.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Time2ride
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: azhole
In AZ you would be going to jail for anything over 20 mph over the speed limit. It is actually a criminal offense here. The top speed here is 75 mph on the interstates, and it's only 10 mph over there before it's a criminal charge.
True, but I have torun 85-90 daily on the 101 just to keep from getting ran over. Iwill say that AZ cops are very forgiving of motorcycles speeding in normal traffic... as long as they aren't doing 90 in a 45 while drag racing. That would get you thrown in jail inheartbeat.

Quick Reply: Got pulled over for vert side mounted license plate!