General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F@(k!N& Insurance Company!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 07:43 AM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts
Default RE: F@(k!N& Insurance Company!

Thats kinda odd. In the auto business, they start to look at a total loss when the damage is around 70% of the value.

Hmmm

MikeM

Old 12-05-2007, 07:53 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: severum17

Thats kinda odd. In the auto business, they start to look at a total loss when the damage is around 70% of the value.

Hmmm

MikeM

You're right. Part of the problem here is the repair figure is based on the shops estimate and not the estimate of the insurance company. It's one of those things where you can ask three people for a number and it will not be the same. In this case the adjustor is taking the attitude that if he chops out all the unneccesary parts and labor that the bike isn't a total loss.

To be a total loss, there are three things that are liked to be known.

1. The ACV (actual cash value) of the bike before the loss.

2. Cost of repair.

3. Value of the salvage as it sets there now.

If you know those three things it's not hard to do the math and see which route would be the cheapest for the insurance company to take. The danger the insurance company faces when they insist on a vehicle being repaired is that once repairs are started and the insurance company is on the hook to repair the vehicle, suddenly the shop is finding additional items that previously weren't known and then the insurance company ends up spending a bunch more than they would have had they totaled out the vehicle. Any time the figures are even close I think the wise adjuster is going to try and convince the owner to total it out. As a saying goes in the insurance claims business: The best file is a closed file !!

Old 12-05-2007, 08:33 AM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Cwboyscooby, sorry your going threw this and it feels like it will go your way in the end, but the boy's that have chimed in are giving the others some really good information, just in case there ever in this position.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:55 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whaap obviously knows what he's talking about. As far as the name calling business, a call indicating you may not have started off on the right foot is not a bad idea. What you did immediately puts you on the defensive holding fewer cards.
That said, if you don't get a call from the claim manager, just leave him a polite message, follow up with a letter (for official documentation if you want), that it is your intention to contact the insurance commissioner if you don't hear back within 3-5 days. You want to be viewed as having exhausted all steps and appear to be agreeable to getting this thing done. This will weigh in your favor and make help overcome the previous mis step.
Good luck.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:19 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had State Farm was telling what body shop they want me to take my bike to. I had told them it is a harley and no body shopwill ever work this bike. But after see harley dealer would take 5 months to fix it. I took it to Charm City Choppers to have the work done in less than a month from time of the accident. The insurance adjuster come out to there shop and took care of all damages.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:26 PM
azhole
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In AZ if you have a claim you take the vehicle or have it inspected, for 3 different estimates.
They don't get to choose which shop does the work.
I go to the best shops, cause I want an accurate estimate on cost of good work, not the cheapest.
They did tell me that they could get a bumper for the car for less and adjusted for that, but other than that all was good. They sent a check and all was good after that.

I don't see why you just don't get the estimates from the best shops, then do what you need to do with the check to make things right. If you're doing business with your favorite shop, I don't see why they wouldn't make it right.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Cwboyscooby
Tourer

The dealer is definately treating me right. Service manager even said hee doesn't understand why insurance company is stalling and needs the bike out of his shop (since he can't fix it).

The agent seems to be on top of things today. He has called twice abut some of the custom parts and asked about the leanholder so that they could send them a check for the payoff. It'll all work out, but it's happening a lot slower than it should have.

While I was waiting... the HD dealer sold the bike I was wanting (08 POSE ultra), so now I have to order one....

Old 12-05-2007, 03:46 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

ORIGINAL: cadman311

I had State Farm was telling what body shop they want me to take my bike to. I had told them it is a harley and no body shopwill ever work this bike. But after see harley dealer would take 5 months to fix it. I took it to Charm City Choppers to have the work done in less than a month from time of the accident. The insurance adjuster come out to there shop and took care of all damages.
In the auto body shop business, an insurance company CANNOT tell you where to get your car fixed. They can SUGGEST that you take it somewhere that they have a good relationship with. Forcing you to take it somewhere is illegal. They can however make things very difficult if you dont follow their lead. What they will do is follow the repair and only pay for what they authorize. Not neccesarily everything you think needs to be fixed. Their goal is to put your bike back to "pre-loss" condition. Sometimes its not what you feel is fair.
I was told today that some insurance companies will go to the 90% value or more before they will admit to total loss.
If the frame is damaged, you may be able to work the "structurally unsound" card. It has to be safe to ride when they are done.
Good luck and let us know what happens/

MikeM
(former body shop manager)

Old 12-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Cwboyscooby
Tourer

Well......

Maybe I was too anxious to talk smack obout the insurance company.

I met with the agent again so I could sign off on the title. Surprisingly.... he wrote me a check on the spot for more than I could have hoped for.

Blue Book turned out to be $7910
add in the $5000 extra coverage = $12910

The check I got today was for $13,590... After the $500 deductable making the actual payout $14,090

He said that they also paid the tax title and license. I was amazed and take back everything I said bad about them.

Progressive Rocks!!!!!!!!

I order my 2008 Ultra Classic on Saturday morning!!!!!