General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT or PC

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 05:11 AM
IcemanVA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT or PC

Getting ready to buy a set of V&H BSS and Stage 1 kit. My question is Do I also get a SERT or Power Commander? I'm hearing both of these terms being kicked around and I don't know the difference in going with one vs the other...

Can someone clue me in so I can make an informed decision??

Old 12-04-2007, 05:21 AM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SERT or PC

Do a search on this topic and you'll find plenty of information. Here's the short version.

SERT is more tunable then the PCIII but the PCIII can be moved from bike to bike. Once you load the SERT into your ECM then it stays with the bike. While you can make changes to your settings with both tuners the PCIII is really the easiest in the sense that you can do it without having the bike dynotuned.

If you are looking for something that you can work on without having to take it back to the dealer then get the PCIII. If you want a tuner that gives you infinite ability to make changes then get the SERT.

My .02.

Mike

Old 12-04-2007, 05:27 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Then you have thundermax w/auto tune which further complicates your decision. Supposedly it automatically adjusts for any future mods you make to your bike. I'm still digging for info myself.
Seems the pcIII is very popular, perhaps because of it's low price.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:27 AM
InTheFloridaWind
Advanced

SERT all the way. My bud that owns a certified Harley repair shops swears by them for HD.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:29 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sert is the way to go. It has been great for my mods.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:31 AM
IcemanVA
Cruiser

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I ran into a good old fashioned debate here. Definately something thats going to take some research...looks like there are pros and cons on both sides of the fence...great [sm=confused06.gif]

Just to clarify, will either one allow me to make adjustments if I change pipes again at some point down the road again ?

My understanding is Yes, both will. But PCIII can be done on my own vs. SERT which would be done at the dealership, right?

I'm not a wrench, so either way, I'm going to be taking my scoot to the dealer for the work, unless I meet some buds around here that make the offer to help.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:48 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Since you have such a new model....and since you do not plan on wrenching on the bike yourself....I would advise you to go with the SERT. Less chance of the dealer giving you static if warranty work is needed. The dyno tune will be more precise for your particular bike & configuration. Both are easily adapted to changes you may make in the future....its just that the SERT will require you to go back to the dealer for the new map to be made/installed for the new mods.
My local dealer sells both the PCIII, and of course the SERT. I will be getting the SERT for my 08' SG. The dealer is having a Winter sale on it right now.....andSERT will be only $500 for everything, including dyno time....and I think they said something about giving me a copy of the map....and some sort of cable...???

Old 12-04-2007, 05:54 AM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: IcemanVA

Getting ready to buy a set of V&H BSS and Stage 1 kit. My question is Do I also get a SERT or Power Commander? I'm hearing both of these terms being kicked around and I don't know the difference in going with one vs the other...

Can someone clue me in so I can make an informed decision??
Go with the sert. The pc "piggbacks" on the ecm. The sert is much better.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:13 AM
spence
Tourer

what part of va are you in? Mike at bayside in p town tunes pciii and does a killer job.
spence

Old 12-04-2007, 06:29 AM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go with the SERT.

I know there are plenty of opinions on this subject, but for me the SERT is more reliable and with a little education (go here http://www.w4jf.com/s_e_r_t_.htm) you can learn to do some things yourself without a dyno tune each time. You would need to have it installed and tuned the first time.

The PCIII is a viable alternative, however several of my riding buds have had problems with them and had to disconnect them (at not so good points in time, I might add) just to get home. It is, as mentioned above, cheaper than the SERT.

Quick Reply: SERT or PC