Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:27 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why?

ORIGINAL: Kolni

If you can't out run mosts cars on your bike than you just suck at riding.

that or you should have bought a Sportsters, I have only lost once to a cage and that was a serious high performance truck F150 lightning!
I agree with the doll-guy on this one!

I have a 2006 street bob with engine mods and it is a beast..... But I also have a 2005 fat boy with a mostly stock engine... I can blow away most any cage off the start. Are you sure you remembered to start the bike before you rode it???

Old 12-02-2007, 09:40 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I stopped in at Covingtons this summer, they had a drop in replacement engine for $10,000 that should be what your looking for. You'll probably need a new beefier transmission as well. That'll cost you extra.

https://www.covingtonscyclecity.com/

Old 12-02-2007, 09:42 PM
ImYourHuckleberry
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If your desire to outrun cages is so strong that you must try it, and you aren't able to do so on a late model (almost any) Harley, you either suck *** at riding, or you weigh 600-700 lbs. I don't know what to tell you. You know HD engines are capable of turning more than 2500 rpm's... Maybe you should buy a tach, and take some riding lessons.

My '03 Deuce is mostly stock with a few slight mods, and I have never had any problem smoking any cage off the line and at least to 70 or so if I really wanted to. I really don't know or care how quick it is above those speeds. I don't find 100 on 2 wheels to be very fun on public roads. I didn't buy it for that though. I enjoy cruising on it a lot more. Figure I'll live longer that way. Go guy a Busa and stop ****ing whining.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:45 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ImYrHklbry

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If your desire to outrun cages is so strong that you must try it, and you aren't able to do so on a late model (almost any) Harley, you either suck *** at riding, or you weigh 600-700 lbs. I don't know what to tell you. You know HD engines are capable of turning more than 2500 rpm's... Maybe you should buy a tach, and take some riding lessons.

My '03 Deuce is mostly stock with a few slight mods, and I have never had any problem smoking any cage off the line and at least to 70 or so if I really wanted to. I really don't know or care how quick it is above those speeds. I don't find 100 on 2 wheels to be very fun on public roads. I didn't buy it for that though. I enjoy cruising on it a lot more. Figure I'll live longer that way. Go guy a Busa and stop ****ing whining.
[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 12-02-2007, 09:46 PM
JeffreyLebowski
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: DenimStreet

that or you should have bought a Sportsters, I have only lost once to a cage and that was a serious high performance truck F150 lightning!

I have a 2006 street bob with engine mods and it is a beast..... But I also have a 2005 fat boy with a mostly stock engine... I can blow away most any cage off the start. Are you sure you remembered to start the bike before you rode it???
Oh, that's the problem. I guess it would run better if I started it. Whatever dude. I was pretty disappointed with my stage 1 mods when I headed up some mountain passes at 11K ft and the bike would barely do over 65 mph. I am satisfied with the way it runs now.

People get irrational and hostile whenever anyone critiques the sacred cow that is the Moco. Why? Competition is a good thing, and if consumers gripe, they'll come up with a better product.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:51 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: JeffreyLebowski

ORIGINAL: DenimStreet

Oh, that's the problem. I guess it would run better if I started it. Whatever dude. I was pretty disappointed with my stage 1 mods when I headed up some mountain passes at 11K ft and the bike would barely do over 65 mph. I am satisfied with the way it runs now.

People get irrational and hostile whenever anyone critiques the sacred cow that is the Moco. Why? Competition is a good thing, and if consumers gripe, they'll come up with a better product.

Jeff...Mypost wasn'tdirected toward you. It was meantfor the original poster. But, to respond to what you just said.....I rode a crapload of stock Harleys and never had trouble going way past 65!!![&:]

Old 12-02-2007, 09:54 PM
JeffreyLebowski
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Marsh

ORIGINAL: JeffreyLebowski

ORIGINAL: Marsh

All of us on this know you don't buy a Harley for speed. If you want speed, buy a jap and shut your yap.
Marsh
No, all of us don't know this or accept this logic. A big motorcycle should be reasonably fast. Harley's included. The Moco needs to wise up, especially now that their sales are dropping off. I'm not talking about sport bike level fast, just fast enough to blow away most of the cagers out there and give you thrill when you twist the throttle. Stock Harley's are way too underpowered. I love Harley's -the look, the sound, the heritage, etc, but HD really needs to at least make a half assed attempt at putting some motors and brakes on our bikes.
You mean you bought your Harley for speed? Dude, you missed the point of Harleys. Buy a Jap bike. They are good solid performers and I think you would be happy. Maybe get that big honkin Honda GX-what ever with 1800 cc's. And the sorta look like a Harley. Blow away all the cages you want.
Marsh
I bought my bike 5 years ago because I like Harleys. No, I did not buy it strictly for speed. But I expect it to fly when I twist the throttle. It's running the way it should now, so I'm happy with it. I've had Jap bikes. They also make me happy.

I don't think I am asking for much here- all Harley would have to do is bump the HP and Tq up to around 100/100. That just seems about right for a bike this size to me.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:59 PM
JeffreyLebowski
Road Captain

[/quote]Jeff...My post wasn't directed toward you. It was meant for the original poster. But, to respond to what you just said.....I rode a crapload of stock Harleys and never had trouble going way past 65!!![&:]
[/quote]

I guess I should clarify -this was at altitude and probably over a 10% grade, but nonetheless cars were whizzing past me. You are right, a stock bike at sea level can easily do about 105 mph, if you are so inclined.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:00 PM
ImYourHuckleberry
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure they'll do as you wish. I wish my Harley would do over 65 too. Oh wait. It does. Dude, I was hanging hard turns at 65-70 today in North GA, up steep grades, and could easily have gone faster if I'd wanted to lay it down. Again, your TC88B is capable of turning more than 2500 rpm's. It's not a diesel engine, although it does sound better at lower rpm's.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Herr Monk

Why is my 1992, POS, barely running, GKP 1400 faster, pulls harder, revs higher, than my 2007 FXDL?

WTF, right now I am predictably angry with Harley. Shoulda bought a V-Rod from the get-go. I am livid. All you folks you get anrgy with me on the political forum let me have it! I am such a Fu@k$ing retard I bought a Dyna instead of a DX. Oh well... it's just money...

ARGGGGGGGG
You said it; I didn't.

Quick Reply: Why?