General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gotta get a new motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 01:40 AM
FLHTCU Rob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotta get a new motor

The verdict is in on my '93 Ultra Evo motor---cam failure. Long story short, it is a California model bike. When it was bought new, the guy that bought it lived in Alabama, so he had the HD dealer remove all the Cali emissions stuff. To make up for the lost performance of removing the Cali stuff, he had them add the SE (Screamin' Eagle) cam, etc., as soon as the bike was out of the crate. No break-in on the motor was done before it was gutted and the SE parts were added. I had a buddy that got 69k out of his SE parts before they failed. Mine had 73k. I've read that others have had similar problems with SE components.

The reason for the new motor is that it was time for a top-end job anyway, and with the lower end being more than suspect as far as rebuildability (coined a new word!), I decided to get a new motor than rebuild. A rebuilt motor would cost me around $3k, with no warranty. A new black and chrome factory Evo would be around $3600, with a 90 day warranty. The guy I have doing the work for me can get me a new wrinkle black and chrome 88" Rev-Tech for $4k, and it will have a 3yr/36k warranty on it. Hey, Ultra's were built for comfort, not speed. I probabaly could have squeezed a 100" motor in there, but I like good gas mileage and I don't have to have neck-jerking power on the Ultra (I have the 1400 Intruder for that!) Anyway, as soon as I can swing the $$$ it will be done.

One thing I learned about the Rev-Tech engines---they use O-ring seals instead of base gaskets. More betta seal = no leaky[8D], and the cylinder sleeves are Perma Bonded to the jugs. They also come complete with a Mikuni carb and an ignition system. I like simple stuff that works. Anyway, just thought I'd let Y'all know what the outcome was on my situation.

Old 12-28-2005, 01:55 AM
FXDWG3
Cruiser
Default RE: Gotta get a new motor

I wonder why the HD only has 90 days...

Just need to save up some dead presidents in either case. I like the idea of the 88 Rev Tech.

Old 12-28-2005, 02:08 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Revtec 88" chrome for 3k on ebay black/chrome
2 year warranty not 3 though.

These guys have several to choose from. 100's for 4k

Clicky here

Good luck! Sounds pretty extreme to need to replace a motor at 70k miles.

Old 12-28-2005, 08:18 AM
taurusjim
Cruiser

you can send in your motor, for a factory rebuild from Harley and keep your vin number. call the dealers and get a quote, I think the whole job is under 4000. with year warrenty.

Old 12-28-2005, 11:50 AM
FLHTCU Rob
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: taurusjim

you can send in your motor, for a factory rebuild from Harley and keep your vin number. call the dealers and get a quote, I think the whole job is under 4000. with year warranty.

Already looked into that. Since mine had SE parts in it they said that they wouldn't be able to help. WTF?! Plus, the motor exchange program they used to offer isn't worth it, even if they did still offer it, when you look at the R-T for $4k, I'd rather the Rev-Tech motor. As long as the vin number on the frame doesn't change I could care less about the motor vin. Also, if I ever do decide to sell it I can get more for it with the R-T motor in it than a "factory rebuilt" Evo, or new Evo.

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

EBAY motor
Buy it now price is right at $3200 + $300 to ship = $3500, plus "insurance" would be extra. Also, they only offer the 2yr/20k wrty, but, I would have to send it back to them for the wrty work if I had issues. I saw the 3yr/36k wrty paperwork myself--it's a brand new thing from Custom Chrome (R-T) on the 88" and 100" motors.

ORIGINAL: FXDWG3

I wonder why the HD only has 90 days...
Because they (HD-not the motor) SUCK! LOL

Old 12-28-2005, 12:15 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Have you looked at possibilities with S&S?

Old 12-28-2005, 12:56 PM
FXDWG3
Cruiser

FLHTCU Rob,

For the sake of conversation and to make one small correction...(90 Day Warranty)

I know I'm not going to convince you to go with the HD Remanufacturing Program; but I was curious about what they offer and find the following.

Remanufacturing Program
1. One needs to have the R&R done by the HD Dealer.
2. The engine will be returned with standard parts, not even SE cams and the old cams/parts whatever will not be returned.
3. It is a one year warranty with unlimited mileage.
4. Two week turnaround. Pretty good considering it includes shipping both ways.

The prices are not that scarey for the EVO if you want and can live with a stock engine.

EVO= $2000-2200, TC88A=$2500-2700, TC95A=$3200, TC88B=$2750-2950

If someone was considering a conversion from a TC88 to a TC95, it may be worth the $3200.

I wonder what the dealer charges to do the R&R?

Old 12-28-2005, 01:06 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spend the money and get what you want and feel comfortable with. It's strange that HD will only have a 90 day warranty.

Old 12-28-2005, 01:06 PM
mutha
Road Captain

let me tell you one thing about the revtech...............KOREAN made!!!!!!!!!!!!my buddies 100 ci rev lasted 10,000 miles before the thing blew up. we were getting on the freeway and the rod went out the back of the rear cylinder and thru the bottom while the piston stayed up in the jug...they have had so many problems they sent him a new one even though it was 4 years old and out of warranty, because it was in his custom which isn't an every day ride..
my 2 cents but not a revtech fan...................

Old 12-28-2005, 02:09 PM
LRonHoover
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

REVTECH = Custom Chrome = CRAP! Any questions?

Quick Reply: Gotta get a new motor