General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gotta get a new motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 12:20 PM
taurusjim
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gotta get a new motor

Yes, most new HD's last as did the evo's and even the shovel heads. Yes shovels last with a lot of wrenching but they last. for the rest of us with newer HD's all we need is decent maintenance, not too many engine changes by dealers or independents, don't try to turn a Harley into a crotch rocket. and they will last a long long time. good luck to all. ps, finding a really good dealer in the beginning and then a really good independent after the warrenty makes a huge difference.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:24 PM
FLHTCU Rob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gotta get a new motor

ORIGINAL: vulhalla

If that happened to me I would go with the HD rebuild at the fctory.
Now I have a question, why wouldnt a HD engine last 100,000 miles?
2 of my friends turned 100,000 this year, of course theres were 91 & 92 years but I just dont understand. HD were built for riding cross country, seems to me if the engines dont last, you cant ride cross country to many times.
My 03 Heritage has 17,000 on it, I understand it's a far cry from 100,000 but thats what Im counting on. I hope I'm not dissapointed, alot of money for something that doesnt last.

I have no doubt that an all stock Evo will last well beyond 100k miles with regular maintenance. However, mine had HD issue Screamin' Eagle guts put in it right out of the crate. Refer to my first post for the particulars on that. I have no problem with HD Evo motors, but, since I have to replace, why not get a little more bang ('scuse the pun, *****) while I'm at it, along with a good warranty? I hate the fact that HD won't stand behind their "performance" (SE) parts like they should. It's this kind of thing that drives folks away from the "Factory" to begin with. They push "thier" upgrades on you, but then don't stand behind them if the fail. THAT is what gets me riled up.

it happened in july of this year.....
So that was most likely one of the motors that had the bad Timken bearings in it since it was a motor made over four years ago. I really appreciate your taking the time, *****, to put the photo's in there and to respond with the requested info. This is why I try ask questions and do research before I spend what little money I have. Thanks to all of you who have responded!