General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone ever gotten an answer on....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007 | 10:59 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: Has anyone ever gotten an answer on....

ORIGINAL: zuma

Do a tracert, just out of curiosity. 100ms for my ping is not great but not enough to be a big issue. I hit google at 35ms and my site zuma.net at 50ms.
For the record, at this moment the site is really fast.

Also, notice that I'm right down through silicon valley to LA to El Segundo- no better backbone anywhere.

Also note that many hops are at the same site - handoffs.

And don't worry about these guys. They are huge, operate lots of big sites and have the resources andknow-how to get this whipped. They don't need us.

Their name servers are carsdirect.com's servers, and this outfit (the parent company) is more than up for this little problem.

I'm just playing this little game for fun. They don't need any ideas from us, other than that their network admins might like seeing our tests just for comparisons.

Old 12-03-2007 | 11:05 PM
route2null0
Road Master

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

cwilks... it's not just you. i've posted the above link before... it shows what type of content/scripts/objects n such.

Since it's a FREE site and a good place to chill.. i've decided to quitmyb1tchin.

Peas and love...

Old 12-03-2007 | 11:22 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Elginator

I'll bet cwilks is getting cold, dressed like that.
LOL. I have to tell you that I "had my hand" in that avatar of cwilks.

Now, go figure that out...

Old 12-04-2007 | 12:06 AM
krautrock
Cruiser

At the moment, it's slow as molasses. I've got two internet connections in my office, need the redundancy for work - Comcast cable & Verizon DSL. Site doesn't work at all via Verizon ... no pages loading, no pings, no traceroute ... as if it didn't even exist.

Old 12-04-2007 | 12:35 AM
Mayfair
Tourer

This whole thread doesn't surprise me at all.

I found this site because I'm usually hanging out on Dodgeforum chatting it up with my fellow CTD owners. There are several forums like this. Dodgeforum, Fordforum, HDforum, ect. We too at times have had the same slow loading page problems that you are having. Doesn't happen all of the time, but it DOES happen.

I think all of these forums share a server or someting and if one is buggy, they ALL are buggy.

Tat's my guess ...

Old 12-04-2007 | 12:45 AM
zuma
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: krautrock

At the moment, it's slow as molasses. I've got two internet connections in my office, need the redundancy for work - Comcast cable & Verizon DSL. Site doesn't work at all via Verizon ... no pages loading, no pings, no traceroute ... as if it didn't even exist.
Get rid of all that and I will get you a T-1 for your office!

Old 12-04-2007 | 12:47 AM
zuma
Road Captain

Nice 100ANV Fat Boy!

Old 12-04-2007 | 01:04 AM
krautrock
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: zuma
ORIGINAL: krautrock
Get rid of all that and I will get you a T-1 for your office!
Will do as soon as the price for a T-1 drops below $150/mo. ... then again, I really need the 6MB/s+ speed (no FIOS here yet) ... can't wait for hours on end for my pr0n to download on a sluggish T-1

Old 12-04-2007 | 01:34 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

I found this site because I'm usually hanging out on Dodgeforum chatting it up with my fellow CTD owners. There are several forums like this. Dodgeforum, Fordforum, HDforum, ect. We too at times have had the same slow loading page problems that you are having. Doesn't happen all of the time, but it DOES happen.

I think all of these forums share a server or someting and if one is buggy, they ALL are buggy.

Tat's my guess ...
The parent company that owns this site does indeed own a lot of similar sites and they do share the same hosting service. They share the same block of ip addresses in some cases.

They arevery bigand they certainly have the resources to solve any problems they have.

If I had to take just one shot at it, one $5 bet, I'd go look at the dns servers (name servers) called dnscdc.carsdirect.com (ip 207.212.172.75)and dnsla.carsdirect.com (ip 12.129.202.53)in El Sepulvida, CA near LAX. I think I'd find myselfat a web hosting service warehouse (server farm) called www.mzima.net. I think they'd be hosting for Internetbrands.com. I'd want to see the logs on those name servers to see if they get overloaded.

While this hdforums site is hosted on a Microsoft IIS server, the name servers use Apache as the OS. That's not a problem, just a fact. My $5 says the name servers get overloaded and can't forward the requests quickly enough at peak times.

Just a shot in the dark...

Old 12-04-2007 | 07:40 AM
cwilks
|
Banned

ORIGINAL: JBaker421

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

Tat's my guess ...
The parent company that owns this site does indeed own a lot of similar sites and they do share the same hosting service. They share the same block of ip addresses in some cases.

They arevery bigand they certainly have the resources to solve any problems they have.

If I had to take just one shot at it, one $5 bet, I'd go look at the dns servers (name servers) called dnscdc.carsdirect.com (ip 207.212.172.75)and dnsla.carsdirect.com (ip 12.129.202.53)in El Sepulvida, CA near LAX. I think I'd find myselfat a web hosting service warehouse (server farm) called www.mzima.net. I think they'd be hosting for Internetbrands.com. I'd want to see the logs on those name servers to see if they get overloaded.

While this hdforums site is hosted on a Microsoft IIS server, the name servers use Apache as the OS. That's not a problem, just a fact. My $5 says the name servers get overloaded and can't forward the requests quickly enough at peak times.

Just a shot in the dark...

I have NO idea what your talking about but I agree

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever gotten an answer on....