General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone ever gotten an answer on....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007 | 01:41 PM
Hap_Hazard
Cruiser
Default RE: Has anyone ever gotten an answer on....

ORIGINAL: Dorkman

ORIGINAL: cwilks

WHY it takes so freakin' long for pages to load on this site????????????? I know its been asked before..........sooooo what's the deal ADMIN???????????? And I know I'm not the only one who thinks this and I'm not lookingfor opinions on WHAT a long time is
Yep, you are the only one. But if not, reset your modem, router, or whatever you have and see if it gets any better. Usually its just a matter of unplugging them, then back on. There are other ways, but this often works. Good luck.
What knowledge base did this come from? If everybody in this forum would re-size their pictures to less than say 400 pixels wide, that alone would triple the speed... just sayin'
btw...I have all pictures blocked for that very reason.

Old 12-03-2007 | 01:50 PM
zombie
Banned

It's been an issue for the past year or so; some people see it, some don't, but it's been present...lot of folks see it and a lot have complained.

JB ain't blowin smoke out of his ***, he knows what he's talking about...some of y'all might want to actually read his post.

I'm on fiber optic and it's slow for me as well.

Old 12-03-2007 | 02:52 PM
cwilks
|
Banned

ORIGINAL: JBaker421

ORIGINAL: lunchboxjunkie

Clear out your cache once and awhile also make sure your disk is only using the min of 50 mb for temporay internet files.

To clear your cache:

On the Internet Explorer 6 Tools menu, click Internet Options. The Internet Options box should open to the General tab.

On the General tab, in the Temporary Internet Files section, click the Delete Files button. This will delete all the files that are currently stored in your cache.
What the heck does all of that have to do with any of this???

One more time:

If your box blasts along fine on other sites, and the variable is the site in question only, then it ain't your box or your bandwidth or anything else on your end.

JB
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer ("Systems Engineer"means network, internet Engineer)+ 11 other Certs.

Get 'em JB

Old 12-03-2007 | 04:28 PM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member

You have the best avatar.

Old 12-03-2007 | 05:11 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Hap_Hazard

ORIGINAL: Dorkman

WHY it takes so freakin' long for pages to load on this site????????????? I know its been asked before..........sooooo what's the deal ADMIN???????????? And I know I'm not the only one who thinks this and I'm not lookingfor opinions on WHAT a long time is
Yep, you are the only one. But if not, reset your modem, router, or whatever you have and see if it gets any better. Usually its just a matter of unplugging them, then back on. There are other ways, but this often works. Good luck.
What knowledge base did this come from? If everybody in this forum would re-size their pictures to less than say 400 pixels wide, that alone would triple the speed... just sayin'
btw...I have all pictures blocked for that very reason.
And what knowledge base does that come from?

If you have your end right, and plenty of bandwidth, you can go to lots of sites with big pics and download them in a rush. Many of the bigger pics here aren't hosted here anyway. Right-click on some including my sig, choose Properties, and you'll see that they are hosted at places such as photobucket.com.

I love this site and apparently so do the others on here. It's slow sometimes, but like a Harley, there just ain't no substitute.

Old 12-03-2007 | 05:13 PM
RexBuck
Road Master

If I'm able to post this, it will be a miracle. At work, this site loads between moderately slow and really slow (other than the times it doesn't load at all) - at home, it loads at between really slow and excruciatingly slow. I don't measure this in ms or seconds - we're on minutes here. Many times this is many minutes. No other site loads with a noticable delay.

There is a separate folder somewhere else where you can discuss this with the Admin etc. They seem to lean towards some problem with ISPs but that doesn't make sense to me - but I'm not technically savvy, so what do I know?

Old 12-03-2007 | 05:22 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Terry.....your pretty quick to jump in and spank us kiddies when you think we're being bad Ya got a legitimate answer for us????????? just askin
Thanks but that didn't help....I'm going with what JDBaker421 says BUT I'm still waiting for the big guy to confirm that its the site's problem
Cwilks,,,have you even PM'd Terry?? I just went to Firefox as the browser on my computer,,, big difference in speed over IE,,, this site is smoking fast for me now,,http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Also as said if you are on a slow connection,, you can turn off pictures in your profile and it will speed it up quite a bit. Try the firefox if you're using IE as your browser. This issue is being looked at by admin,,, I'm sure Terry will have an answer for you Cwilks.

Old 12-03-2007 | 06:26 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I'm not saying some of you aren't having problems. If you notice the first page of this thread, there are a bunch of members who have no problem loading this site. I am on broadband and usually the forum is very fast. I did notice that it was running slow for me yesterday. We are not ignoring your questions. I forward these threads to Big Admin every time I read one. The problem is, how can half of the people here have no problems and the other half be terrible. I run Mozilla Firefox now. I finally got tired of IE crashing every time I spent anytime here. I never have an ounce of problems with firefox. About March of this year, one of the Moderators here could not post or pm anyone without the forum hanging up and timing out. None of the other Moderators or Admins were having any problems at all. I'll check and see what's up and get back to you.

Thanks,
Terry

P.S. Threads do not disappear here unless Admin or the Moderators pull them. I know we aren't having a problem with threads disappearing on their own.

Terry.....your pretty quick to jump in and spank us kiddies when you think we're being bad Ya got a legitimate answer for us????????? just askin

Old 12-03-2007 | 06:27 PM
cwilks
|
Banned

ORIGINAL: John TN

Thanks but that didn't help....I'm going with what JDBaker421 says BUT I'm still waiting for the big guy to confirm that its the site's problem
Cwilks,,,have you even PM'd Terry?? I just went to Firefox as the browser on my computer,,, big difference in speed over IE,,, this site is smoking fast for me now,,http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Also as said if you are on a slow connection,, you can turn off pictures in your profile and it will speed it up quite a bit. Try the firefox if you're using IE as your browser. This issue is being looked at by admin,,, I'm sure Terry will have an answer for you Cwilks.

I'm trying to see if he'll answer in the open forum so everyone else who is having problems can see the answer John.......I'm NOT on a slow connection and I don't have problems anywhere else so I shouldn't have to turn anything off I also shouldn't have to switch to a browser I don't want to use.......awful lot of people using IE so I'm thinking JB is right......its on the site end. If this is the way it is than so be it but someone (in the know about the site) needs to answer this question.........just sayin

Old 12-03-2007 | 07:20 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Cwilks,,the browser suggestion was just that,,, it's real easy to do,, and it's worked great so far for me,,, if you don't want to try it then you don't have to, but I think if you want to complain and not try something that might help then quit complaining. Turning things off was a suggestion for slower connections like dial up not for higher speeds such as yours.

If you read all of my post you'll see I said admin is working on it,, a forum of this size is a monster to run compared to very small sites with few members. I don't know what the problem is,, JB has a theory,, admin is working on it, as soon as an answer can be given it will be.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever gotten an answer on....