General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone ever gotten an answer on....

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007 | 07:18 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: Has anyone ever gotten an answer on....

ORIGINAL: zuma

There are a lot of pics on the threads including the ads, but I believe it to be a backend database issue because it is quering records and then appearing.

And you are right it is not a big deal, as we all enjoy the site.
Good points, but I'm still suspicious of dns. I can't test it any longer because it's faster than snot for me now.

Remember, when you request a web page, every single bit of it including eachindividual pic requires an ns lookup to find it. That includes every pic. In that sense, it can, without further testing, appear to be a backend sql problem. It can also appear to be ads which are pics, but it's not, of course.

When it was slow for me my software was timing out on those Apache name servers as mentioned above. Those servers don't even show upin a cmd line trace route.

Someone mentioned that the servers at mzima seem to handle the hand off from different routers differently and that makes sense to me as apossibility.You can assign priorities. However, I've never done that unless I was strapped for resources temporarily.

Another thing you can do is prioritize by group as in Active Directory group/domain/etc. You might make outside sales people who were remoting in #1 because they are probably with a customer and make housekeeping last in the row of toots.

When you have a forest such as this, then the sub domains such hdforums could be... But I don't think so because I'm fast now and others aren't.

Just thinkin...

PS right click on an ad and choose properties. They aren't even hosted at hdforums.com further proving that they are very subject to an ns look up. (dns/name server look up.) Also note from "view source" that they rotate via javascript further necessitating dns.

Remember too that the dns issue occurs often after the database query, otherwise how would the system know to look for a pic unless it first found a link to it on the page?

Old 12-26-2007 | 11:24 AM
cwilks
|
Banned
Default RE: Has anyone ever gotten an answer on....

Just for clarification purposes I did switch to FireFox (took your advice John) and things are MUCH quicker but I'm still having extended loading times on this site. I will say that FireFox (as far as I'm concerned) is the BOMB...man, is it fast....IE can kiss my ***