General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone ever gotten an answer on....

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007 | 07:46 AM
zuma
Road Captain
Default RE: Has anyone ever gotten an answer on....

Old 12-04-2007 | 10:10 AM
07SG
Cruiser

One way to increase this site load performance is to change your settings to NOT display avatars and other pictures on this site. It will just list the URL to the pictures if you want them.

Old 12-04-2007 | 02:11 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 07SG

One way to increase this site load performance is to change your settings to NOT display avatars and other pictures on this site. It will just list the URL to the pictures if you want them.
That's true if you have a problem on your end such as a slow computer, malware or dialup or something. It's totally false if you have everything good on your end and and the site works properly.

You might read the thread before posting. We covered this already.

Old 12-04-2007 | 03:43 PM
07SG
Cruiser

It doesn't have to be just on my end. It could be a slow link anywhere on the way. Setting options on the HDForums website to not send the extraneous info will help.

Old 12-04-2007 | 04:04 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

It doesn't have to be just on my end. It could be a slow link anywhere on the way. Setting options on the HDForums website to not send the extraneous info will help.
Sorry, I can't help you here. You're discussing something that isirrelevant to this thread because we are experiencing servers that won't return any results at all including text so the picture issue is irrelevant.

If the site is acting up which is what we are discussing, your method won't help because you don't get the text returned to youeither.

You just stare at a blank page or you get an error page.

You simply aren't getting any results of any kindfrom your query.

If you wish to discuss the backbone of the internetwhich you are, you'll notice we ran trace routes and pings and other utilitiesand proved the problemsweren't in the backbone at the very same moments that the site was slow.

Zuma encountered one 256ms delay but it was at the site.

I don't question your right to post, but I strongly disagree with tossing in confusing and off-topic posts thathave been discussed already and have beenproven to beirrelevant andwhich just confuse people.

JB,
Microsoft Certified Systems (Internet) Engineer.

Old 12-04-2007 | 04:17 PM
07SG
Cruiser

JB,

You are full of it!

The OP asked, "WHY it takes so freakin' long for pages to load on this site????????????? I know its been asked before..........sooooo what's the deal ADMIN???????????? And I know I'm not the only one who thinks this and I'm not lookingfor opinions on WHAT a long time is
"

Now I may have not directly answered his question, but to say my suggestion is off topic and "I'm in my own world" is crazy. All the talk of hop times and the like is helpful also, but does not directly answer the question.

I was merely trying to offer helpful advice for a problem where the cause is unclear.

Old 12-04-2007 | 05:05 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

JB,

You are full of it!

The OP asked, "WHY it takes so freakin' long for pages to load on this site????????????? I know its been asked before..........sooooo what's the deal ADMIN???????????? And I know I'm not the only one who thinks this and I'm not lookingfor opinions on WHAT a long time is
"

Now I may have not directly answered his question, but to say my suggestion is off topic and "I'm in my own world" is crazy. All the talk of hop times and the like is helpful also, but does not directly answer the question.

I was merely trying to offer helpful advice for a problem where the cause is unclear.

One more time: If you can't get any return from your database query including even the text on the page, you're screwed. Turning off pictures isnowhere near to ananswer to that problem because you still won't even get the text.You get no return at all.

When the site is really down, you type up a post and hit OK and get an error page. Your post didn't get onto the server. That's not about pictures. Also, when you click a link to read a thread you time out and get an error page or a blank page.

Pictures are not even "in the picture" here, see?

That should, to me, be a pretty simple concept.

Now, go ahead and keep repeating this same line of thinking, but I won't respond to you again. I can't makeyou see and I have better things to do.

Old 12-04-2007 | 05:19 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I'm going to give y'all a chance to edit your own posts,,, this name calling and bashing ain't going to solve nothing here, everyone has the right to debate, I didn't see anything off topic,, lets keep it civil as well.

Old 12-04-2007 | 05:48 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

OK John, sorry, I hope I cleaned mine up.

I respectfully disagree about the off-topic part, but maybe not in the usual sense where we use that term.

I mean off-topic because of the reasons I explained above. Maybe irrelevant is a better word. Those thoughts about pictures simply can't apply or help here and like off-topic items, take the thought train away from where the real issues are.

Let me know if I need to clean up anything else.

JB

Old 12-04-2007 | 06:01 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Really we appreciate eveyone's comments here,, I think 07SG was just trying to help like you are,, I did try the picture disable deal myself and it speeded mine up,, but I like to look at the pics!!! Firefox has worked wonders for me,, but doesn't seem to for others,, it's way over my head on how to fix it for others and the site!!!

It seems the issue is tied to maybe several things,,, user end possibles ( spyware, adware) etc. things at this site,,, one good thing is not everyone is affected by it and maybe that's the really confusing part,,, like said admin is working on it,, we all know it's frustrating to have slow loading pages no matter what the cause is, and we are determined to get it fixed if it's this site that causing the slow down on your computer at home.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever gotten an answer on....