General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid question about wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:00 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Stupid question about wheels...

For a wheel like this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-CHROME-TWISTED-80-SPOKE-FRONT-WHEEL-21-x-3-5-HARLEY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35578QQihZ012QQi temZ220157599321QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V
What kinda tire do you put on? I would say a tube is absolutley necessary as well. Is this correct?
Thanks. I was searching through tires and wanna know what brand of tire I could put on here as well. I don't quite understand this spoked and tubed tire bit yet. I have always been a tubeless guy. Thanks.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:07 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Stupid question about wheels...

That wheel is supposed to be seal so you can run tubeless. However, I know of more than one person who tried using "seal" spoke wheels only to find that they leaked and eventually had to put a tube in.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:14 AM
06train
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess that would be something to consider???I personally would like to have the carbon fiber wheels.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:16 AM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: anubisss

For a wheel like this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-C...spagenameZWD1V
What kinda tire do you put on? I would say a tube is absolutley necessary as well. Is this correct?
Thanks. I was searching through tires and wanna know what brand of tire I could put on here as well. I don't quite understand this spoked and tubed tire bit yet. I have always been a tubeless guy. Thanks.
From my "limited" understanding of rims .. any spoked rim has/needs a tube... mags are tubeless.

99%r

Old 11-28-2007, 10:18 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

all I would think about is,, how to keep it clean n shiney???

Old 11-28-2007, 10:22 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

99%,

Not all laced wheels require a tube. American Wire is just on of several makers of sealed laced wheels.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: 99_percenter

For a wheel like this...
From my "limited" understanding of rims .. any spoked rim has/needs a tube... mags are tubeless.

99%r
Nope! If they are sealed rims, they can accept tubeless tires! I know firsthand! I have similar wheels, 18" front and rear, 80 twisted spoke wheels (rim and hub are powdercoated black). I run tubless tires, have had them on for almost a year and haven't had any leaking problems or anything like that.

Now one downside to these, if you break a spoke, I think you're pretty much screwed. (No burnouts for me I guess!) As far as tire brand, I typically stick to Avon or Metzeler, they have them in the sizes for 18" and 21" wheels.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:31 AM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Cryptoboy

ORIGINAL: 99_percenter

For a wheel like this...

99%r
Nope! If they are sealed rims, they can accept tubeless tires! I know firsthand! I have similar wheels, 18" front and rear, 80 twisted spoke wheels (rim and hub are powdercoated black). I run tubless tires, have had them on for almost a year and haven't had any leaking problems or anything like that.

Now one downside to these, if you break a spoke, I think you're pretty much screwed. (No burnouts for me I guess!) As far as tire brand, I typically stick to Avon or Metzeler, they have them in the sizes for 18" and 21" wheels.
well ther ya go (c: glad I sed limited knowledge now haw

99%r

Old 11-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Sheldon
Cruiser

you can run tubbless tires on a spoked wheel up to a 18" but you cant run tubbless on a 21' wheel they have two much flex

Old 11-28-2007, 04:03 PM
lolife
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im running the same wheel without the twisted spokes..........It is a tubeless. wheel............Ive had no probs out of mine............ . . . . .Im running a avon.....see sig pic below..............26x

Quick Reply: Stupid question about wheels...