General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding to work gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 12:21 PM
harleywrong
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding to work gear

Hey,

I'm thinking of riding to work and was wondering if anyone does this on a daily basis. My round trip would be 60 plus miles a day.

My questions are related to clothing. Most riders I see wear their work clothes underneath a vinyl rain protected pants and jacket. Then they remove the outer gear when they arrive at work and put it in their saddlebags.

Can anyone recommend what to wear and where to get the gear?

Thanks!

Old 11-27-2007, 12:26 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Riding to work gear

When I commute to work(60 miles each way) I wear a pair of Firstgear HT Overpants with my leather jacket. The pants work great and are waterproof. They just slide over my work pants.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:30 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on the season...also over 60miles round trip, unless it's raining I don't wear anything over my pants, keep my shoes at work and wear boots and unless it's cold or raining I don't wear a jacket or gloves.

Cold, heated jacket liner and gloves.

Raining, rain gear.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Wildcat68
Road Captain

I am fortunate enough to wear my riding clothes @ work. Leathers/jeans/work-boots/ball-cap all day. Few years back I had to shirt and tie it 4 days a week and I would just wear my raingear over the top.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:37 PM
pip369
Road Captain

I ride to work. The round trip is a little over 50 miles. When not raining or cold I simply wear what I would normally wear. If it looks like rain I will wear the rain stuff. If it is cold I will wear the chaps and leather jacket. All of my riding gear has come from Harley so far. I have read alot about Fox Creek Leathers on the forum and that has got me to thinking about getting some new riding gear. Their stuff really looks good and many people on here can't say enough god stuff about them. At one point I was told by a guy that doesn't ride that I looked like a walking HD advertisement.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:38 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser

Well if you want the best then go to Aerostitch (aerostitch.com) and look at the one 1 piece ( called the Roadcrafter) and 2 piecs suits. Pretty expensive and not what you usually see on a Harley rider but it will last for years and years. the 1 piece is great for putting over work cloths. I have a frend with one who has worn it for 10 years and its still great. If you look at the Iron Butt riders (very long distance riders) at least 75% of them are in Aerostitch. Olympia Motorsports (not sure of the web site but a search will work) also makes a 1 piece suit. A bit cheaper that the Aerostitch and I think pretty good. I have their mesh pants and jacket and both are a good fit and seem to be holding up pretty good.

Gary
[align=left] [/align]

Old 11-27-2007, 12:40 PM
harleywrong
Stage IV

Thank petemac. I will check it out.
(60 miles1way, yougotme)

Old 11-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I change when I get to work. Especially in winter. For the 50 miles on the highway I layer up. Once traffic slows down in town I heat up. End up drenched in sweat by the time I get to work.

Anyone wants to buy me a heated jacket and gloves shoot me a PM! (I'm on paypal)

Fall and Spring is easy. But a leather on over the work cloths and go.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:52 PM
harleywrong
Stage IV

Garywayne, I was thinking of a one piece, thanks for the info. Since I'm in Florida I'll be riding down the coast not on the major hwys. I do have chaps and jacket but they don't fit in my saddle bags and they don't cover the work clothes.

I use to ride to work locally where it didn't matter what I wore on the job butnow I got this new job whichrequires the corp look.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strap the chaps and jacket to your forks above the headlight.

Quick Reply: Riding to work gear