General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Route 66 ...for European people.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 07:10 AM
insp.clouseau
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Route 66 ...for European people.

Hi there boys n girls,

A friend and me are planning to do the Route66 next year June.[8D]
We'll book the whole thing ourselves, no touroperator.

Since we only have 2.5 weeks to do the trip and can't stop in EVERY town or every tourist trap,
We hope to get some good ideas from you people.
We have been smurfin' the net but there's just too muchfor us to choose.

Offcourse a visit to the mytical MoCo will be part of our visit to the states.

Since its to expensive to take our own bikes overseas, we're hoping to rent 2 Fatboysnear Chicago.
What's with the insurances?
Are they included in the rental fees of a bike like over here in Europe (Belgium)?

Hoping to get some tips...

Greetings
Insp.Clouseau

Old 11-27-2007, 07:14 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: Route 66 ...for European people.

Get Michael Wallis' books on Rt. 66. They are availabe on Amazon.com. He is probably the formost expert on traveling Rt. 66.

Bill

Old 11-27-2007, 07:20 AM
guitarman777
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you're hitting the States for the infamous Route 66. Any idea which MoCo dealership you going to rent from? Here's a link to Chicago Harley's bike rental page. Different dealerships usually price their rentals either for the class of bike or for the number of days they're being ridden (one day, three days, full week, etc.).

As far as the insurance goes, there are different levels of coverage and damage waivers. They require at least $1000 deposit on a major credit card, and the one that gives you the most protection and freedom from liability isn't all that much per day on top of the rental. Well worth it. Here's a look at the coverage rates where I am...

DAMAGE WAIVER AND INSURANCE OPTIONS

Personal Accident/Property Insurance
$9.50/day
$3000 deposit
Provides up to $2500 of personal accident and $1500 of personal property insurance.

Liability Insurance
$12.15/day
$3000 deposit
Provides renter up to $1 million of liability insurance.

Damage Waiver
$19.95/day
$2000 deposit
Renter responsible for first $2000 of damage or theft to motorcycle only. No tire coverage.

Enhanced Damage Waiver
$29.95/day
$1000 deposit
Renter responsible for first $1000 of damage or theft to motorcycle only. Flat tire coverage included.

Protection Package
$43.95/day
$1000 deposit
Combines the Enhanced Damage Waiver, Liability, and Personal Accident/Property Insurance. Flat tire coverage included.

If you opt to go without the damage waiver, a $3000 deposit is required and you're responsible for all damage to the bike if something happens.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:29 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think Oklahoma has more of the original Route 66 than any other state.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:29 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Do you have 2.5 weeks total, or is that just for Rt66? If is a total of 2.5 weeks vacation (holiday to you) then you need to plan your ride very carefully. I suggest taking the advice of the other reply and get yourself a book. Use the book to pick out several places that are a MUST....and pick several that are a IF I CAN MAKE IT.
This is just me talking out loud now, but at this time of year, I would not want to be riding any where around Chicago..AT ALL. It is just way too cold, and they been getting snow already.I would look to start your ride in Texas, and head West from there. You could start in say.....Aimarillo, Tx....and head west from there. Ride through New Mexico, Arizona (Grand Canyon???) Nevada (Vegas Baby!). This way you are almost 100% sure you will stay warm and dry on your ride.
If your a HOG member you can set up the bike rental through them, and save some bucks....plus it expedites things a bit, and IIRC there is some deal with the insurance/roadside help where HOG hooks you up with a better deal...???

Old 11-27-2007, 07:33 AM
insp.clouseau
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow!

talking bout fast replies!!
Wll defenitly get that book thx for that one Bill.

Where the bikes will be rented isn't clear yet, since we'll visit the Moco first.
Thx anyway Guitarman.

We'll keep you guys posted of any progress!!
Mwouhahahahaha[8D]

Old 11-27-2007, 07:41 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: biz44

Do you have 2.5 weeks total, or is that just for Rt66? If is a total of 2.5 weeks vacation (holiday to you) then you need to plan your ride very carefully. I suggest taking the advice of the other reply and get yourself a book. Use the book to pick out several places that are a MUST....and pick several that are a IF I CAN MAKE IT.
This is just me talking out loud now, but at this time of year, I would not want to be riding any where around Chicago..AT ALL. It is just way too cold, and they been getting snow already.I would look to start your ride in Texas, and head West from there. You could start in say.....Aimarillo, Tx....and head west from there. Ride through New Mexico, Arizona (Grand Canyon???) Nevada (Vegas Baby!). This way you are almost 100% sure you will stay warm and dry on your ride.
If your a HOG member you can set up the bike rental through them, and save some bucks....plus it expedites things a bit, and IIRC there is some deal with the insurance/roadside help where HOG hooks you up with a better deal...???
I think he said in June.

Grand Canyon? The rim is at 7,000 feet and gets gobs of snow. There should be snow on the ground in drifted spots in June but probably none on the roads.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:56 AM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The offshore tourists who ride from the start of Route 66 get their bikes from Illinois Harley Davidson (708)788-1300. They are an authorized Eaglerider dealer if you have discounts through FEMA membership. If you start out mid-to late morning from there, go the 3 miles to 66, you should be past Joilet by the time rush hour hits. My suggestion is once you pass the Spaceman in Wilmington, get on the superslab (I 55) until Lincoln and then continue on the "Scenic Route 66" signs. The frontage roads in between that have the "Historic" signs have nothing to offer and slow you down quite a bit. Depending on cheeseburger or ice cream stops, you should be well past Springfield when it's time to call it a night. Lunch in/around St. Louis keeps you on track. Don't forget to put your lid on before you cross into Misery.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:16 PM
cadillac
Road Master

We drove a bit of it this year on a trip to Missouri. There was all new smooth blacktop pavement too. Looks like MO has taken quite an interest in the Mother road. And business' cropped up again just like years ago. Ive asked for the Michael Wallis book for Christmas in case we go back to MO next summer.

bob

Old 11-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Insp: The Wallis's book is a must! New Mexico and Arizon have lots of the original Rt. 66 left and in use as secondary highway. Once you enter Calif. not much of the mother road is actually left.

The South Rim of the Grand Canyon 'should' be snow free unless something really unusual happens weatherwise.

Keep us informed next June of your progress and take lots of pics for us to see. ................. Big Cholla

Quick Reply: Route 66 ...for European people.