General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Route 66 ...for European people.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:35 PM
1sportytrike
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Route 66 ...for European people.

See the Blue Whale in Oklahoma. Check out the Route 66 Museum in Clinton, OK. Try to eat the 72 oz. steak in Amarillo, Texas. Stay at the Wigwam Motel in Williams, Arizona. Be sure and stop at Angel and Vilma Dellagodilla's place in Seligman, Arizona and the Eisler Brothers Store in Kansas. Man, I could go on and on. I LOVED the trip when I went a few years ago and these guys are right. Get Michael Wallis' book. There are several books and videoes out there and it wouldn't hurt to get several of them so youwill have an idea of what you want to look for when you go. You can also lok up the internet sites of the different states Route 66 Federations and then contact them. They will give you some good tips and information, maybe even a freemap of the Mother Road as it goes through their state. Man, just talking about it makes me want to take off on Route 66 right now. You have an unbeleivably GREAT time getting to know America the way it was meant to be seen, away from the interstate. If you have any questions feel free to email me. I am no expert on the subject but I have made the trip and am a HUGE fan of America's Highway. I'll answer what questions I can and be proud to help.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:19 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Hogs-66-Hangou.../dp/1571781404

I've got this book and it's full of info and suggestions for places to visit and eat along the entire route.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:36 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The "Round Barn" in Arcadia, Oklahoma is worth a look too. Lot's of historic info about Route 66 there. Be sure to stop in at Pops about a mile down the road from there.

http://pops66.com/

http://www.arcadiaroundbarn.org/

Old 11-29-2007, 10:30 AM
smittyp83
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: chiabate

The offshore tourists who ride from the start of Route 66 get their bikes from Illinois Harley Davidson (708)788-1300. They are an authorized Eaglerider dealer if you have discounts through FEMA membership. If you start out mid-to late morning from there, go the 3 miles to 66, you should be past Joilet by the time rush hour hits. My suggestion is once you pass the Spaceman in Wilmington, get on the superslab (I 55) until Lincoln and then continue on the "Scenic Route 66" signs. The frontage roads in between that have the "Historic" signs have nothing to offer and slow you down quite a bit. Depending on cheeseburger or ice cream stops, you should be well past Springfield when it's time to call it a night. Lunch in/around St. Louis keeps you on track. Don't forget to put your lid on before you cross into Misery.
You forgot about stopping at Cozy Dog in Springfield!!!

Old 11-29-2007, 10:47 AM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oops! Totally missed that one. I guess I go to Springfield too much to mention something that's a given. Kinda like Superdawg or Jimmy's Red Hots for those visiting Chicago.
ORIGINAL: smittyp83

ORIGINAL: chiabate

The offshore tourists who ride from the start of Route 66 get their bikes from Illinois Harley Davidson (708)788-1300. They are an authorized Eaglerider dealer if you have discounts through FEMA membership. If you start out mid-to late morning from there, go the 3 miles to 66, you should be past Joilet by the time rush hour hits. My suggestion is once you pass the Spaceman in Wilmington, get on the superslab (I 55) until Lincoln and then continue on the "Scenic Route 66" signs. The frontage roads in between that have the "Historic" signs have nothing to offer and slow you down quite a bit. Depending on cheeseburger or ice cream stops, you should be well past Springfield when it's time to call it a night. Lunch in/around St. Louis keeps you on track. Don't forget to put your lid on before you cross into Misery.
You forgot about stopping at Cozy Dog in Springfield!!!

Old 11-29-2007, 06:34 PM
insp.clouseau
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

[:-]JEEZ!!!

As i said!!
The more I read here, the more it gets to me that 2 weeks aren't enough BY FAR, to do and see all thatdeserves to be seen... sigh...
Seems I can't get more than 2, Maximum 3 weeks leaf...([:@][:@]that damned job[>:][>:])

I guess we'llHAVE to reduce our trip to HALF of the route, concidering we want to rest a day or 2, before heading back to Brussels.

Anyway, I'm keeping note of all the things you guys mentioned here, and doing some web research.

Seems the website "Route66.com" was actually edited by Swa FRANTZEN, wich is Belgian too and lives like 60kms from my doorstep. (Makes you wonder....)

Anyway, Monday next week I'll be getting together with my Bikerbuddy to make further arangements.

Keep the rubber side down and the fingers and feet warm enough !!

...keep y'all posted!!

Old 02-04-2008, 01:47 PM
insp.clouseau
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Mwouhahahahahahha

Finally made the reservations

We'll be leaving for Chicago on 05/27/08
After a visit to Milwaukee, the bikes are picked up and the adventure can begin

This is the itinerary

Day1
Chicago, Illinois

Day2
ToLincoln
distance today: 190 miles

Day 3
ToSt. Louis, Missouri
distance today: 140 miles

Day 4
Via Meramec Cavernsto Lebanon
distance today: 180 miles

Day5
Miami, Kansas
distance today: 175 miles

Day 6
Via Tulsato Oklahoma City
distance today: 200 miles

Day 7
thruTexasto Amarillo
distance today: 270 miles

Day8
ToGrants, New Mexico
distance today: 350 miles

Day10
ToFlagstaff, Arizona
distance today: 350 miles

Day 10
VisitGrand Canyon by helicopter, Arizona
distance today: 180 miles

Dag 11
Via Seligmanto Kingman
distance today: 250 miles

Day 12
ViaHooverdamTo Las Vegas
distance today: 130 miles

Day 13
Barstow, California
distance today: 160 miles

Day 14
Santa Monica, Los Angeles
distance today: 125 miles

.... and back to Europe.

If we manage to survive, the photo's will be posted on Flickr?

Keep'em shiny,

Old 02-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Pitts2112
Road Captain

Something you've got to do in St. Louis is catch some live blues. A place in The Soulard district down near the brewery (left after the bridge), called Mike and Min's is usually rated the best blues bar in the city. I haven't lived there since 1994 and I still wish I could spend just one more night listening to the blues in that bar. My first night there, Chuck Berry's daughter was blowing harp and I was hooked on the place. Chuck came in one night several month later himself but got his nose out of joint when the old boy manning the door demanded the $2 cover charge from him! That was hilarious.

But the live and improvised music there on a Friday or Saturday night is like nothing I've ever heard anywhere else, before or since.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:03 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member

Joeri...

First of all, Welcome to the U.S.A.!!!

Secondly... When you get to St. Louis, you MUST see the National Park Service's "Westward Expansion Museum" which is UNDER the "Arch". It's a sub-terranium, circular museum with elements of our country's "westward expansion" portrayed. It's a marvelous collection and unique presentation which will help orient you to the land that you'll be travelling through on your trip west. Adjacient to the Museum and Arch (across the street to the west) is the Courthouse where the Dred Scott case was heard regarding slavery, as well as a replica of a fur trade era trading post (circa 1820's).

Be careful around some areas of St. Louis, as it can be a bit rough!

Welcome... and... ENJOY!!!

Jim aka kiltiemon

Old 02-04-2008, 05:24 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw your itinerary, again, I would strongly suggest I55 after Wilmington until you pass Bloomington/abNormal. All you are on in those stretches is 55's frontage road.

Quick Reply: Route 66 ...for European people.