General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Route 66 ...for European people.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 03:26 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Route 66 ...for European people.

Mwouhahahaha?? Shouldn't the infamous inspector repeat some of the famous lines such as MEENKEY! Or "Do you have my massage?" wink! or "that is why I have always failed where others have succeeded!" Does yur dogg bite? Or any of the Kato ambushes, your pick.
ORIGINAL: insp.clouseau

Wow!

talking bout fast replies!!
Wll defenitly get that book thx for that one Bill.

Where the bikes will be rented isn't clear yet, since we'll visit the Moco first.
Thx anyway Guitarman.

We'll keep you guys posted of any progress!!
Mwouhahahahaha[8D]

Old 11-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: insp.clouseau

Hi there boys n girls,

A friend and me are planning to do the Route66 next year June.[8D]
We'll book the whole thing ourselves, no touroperator.

Since we only have 2.5 weeks to do the trip and can't stop in EVERY town or every tourist trap,
We hope to get some good ideas from you people.
We have been smurfin' the net but there's just too muchfor us to choose.

Offcourse a visit to the mytical MoCo will be part of our visit to the states.

Since its to expensive to take our own bikes overseas, we're hoping to rent 2 Fatboysnear Chicago.
What's with the insurances?
Are they included in the rental fees of a bike like over here in Europe (Belgium)?

Hoping to get some tips...

Greetings
Insp.Clouseau
Just a idea here, but you may want to talk to the MoCo and tell them what you want to do, try to talk them into the loan of a bike or two and maybe they can help you out, maybe even go along and pay for part of the trip?? pretty good Public relations idea there..sure can't hurt to talk to them about it..nothing ventured, nothing gained..

Old 11-27-2007, 05:00 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Route 66 is a nice ride, and there's LOTS of stuff to do and see along the way. Here's a few of my favorites:

1. The Gateway Arch, St. Louise, Missouri. If you've got the money for side trips then spend the few dollars to ride to the top. The tiny elevators (you sit for the ride) are interesting, and they tilt as they ascend/descend the arch.

2. The National Cowboy Hall of Fame, Oklahoma City, OK. http://www.nationalcowboymuseum.org/ If you want a glimpse of the real "Wild West" then this is the place.

3. The Cadillac Ranch, Amarillo, Texas. If you're not watching for it then you'll drive right past it.
It's off I-40 west of the intersection with Hope Dr. In this part of the country Interstate 40 (I-40) runs along the old Route 66. Don't expect a major tourist attraction, though. The area around the rank has been developed in the last few years so there's housing and shopping all around.

4. Tucumcari, New Mexico, probably has more of the "historic" motels (Blue Swallow, Palomino, etc.) than any other section of the road.

5. Santa Fe, NM. No, this not really on Route 66, but it's not that far off the route, either. Don't bother with the modern developed areas, just hit the arts district. The Santa Fe Plaza is the heart of the district and has a very rich history. You can hit the district in a morning (it's not that far from Albuquerque) and be back on the route by early afternoon, if you're pressed for time.

6. Winslow, AZ, but only if you are an Eagles (music group) fan. If you are, then you'll know why you have to stand on a corner there. If not, just get ready to pay high prices for gas on the corner there.

Now for a more personal note ... if you've never been the U.S. of A. before then get off Route 66 and go north in Arizona to the Grand Canyon. I prefer the north Rim, which has less tourist traffic, and it will also take you to southern Utah where you can see Zion National Park. There's a couple threads on this forum about those trips, so take a look. Also let me know if you're coming this way I'll be glad to recommend some good areas for riding and some decent places to stay for the night.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:00 PM
Sol
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For research, one of the best Route 66 websites: http://www.historic66.com/

BTW, the site's author is European -don't recall his nationality tho...

Old 11-28-2007, 07:47 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

ORIGINAL: Big Cholla

Once you enter Calif. not much of the mother road is actually left.
Actually, there is quite a bit of it left. All the way from Needles to almost Newberry Springs is still intact, and from Barstow to Victorville is still intact.

The stretch from Needles to Newberry Springs is very rough in places and the highway is not in very good shape, so caution is necessary, but you can still ride it, and it will take you through Amboy where the famous Roy's Cafe is.

Bill

Old 11-28-2007, 08:13 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

Also check out the forum here on this website. I can tell you for a fact Rte. 66 is discussed.

https://www.hdforums.com/forumid_213/tt.htm

Happy journeys!!

Old 11-28-2007, 08:20 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

join HOG,, then check out fly-n-ride

Old 11-28-2007, 08:08 PM
LowRyder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There ain't no snow on the north rim of the Grand Canyon in the summer, I live and hour and a half from there.I doubt there is any now since we have had little precipitation.

Since you are going to be here on vacation, I would try and see as much of 66 as possible including the "Historic" areas. It brings a little nostalgia for some of us. ;-)

I hope you enjoy your ride andas recommended planyour route carefully. =) Lowryder

Old 11-28-2007, 08:58 PM
sprinter
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how much of route 66 you are planning to ride, but if you can include Oatman Arizona in your ride I think you will really enjoy it. It is an official ghost town and it has some very nice stuff to see. The roads into and out of Oatman are curvy (?) and would be great for bikers. I think you would really enjoy it on a bike. (not that great in a car!) And with the wild burros in the town everyday, it makes for a very unique experience.
Check it out if you have the time.
later
ron.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Redd
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: doc_cj

Route 66 is a nice ride, and there's LOTS of stuff to do and see along the way. Here's a few of my favorites:

1. The Gateway Arch, St. Louise, Missouri. If you've got the money for side trips then spend the few dollars to ride to the top. The tiny elevators (you sit for the ride) are interesting, and they tilt as they ascend/descend the arch.

2. The National Cowboy Hall of Fame, Oklahoma City, OK. http://www.nationalcowboymuseum.org/ If you want a glimpse of the real "Wild West" then this is the place.

3. The Cadillac Ranch, Amarillo, Texas. If you're not watching for it then you'll drive right past it.
It's off I-40 west of the intersection with Hope Dr. In this part of the country Interstate 40 (I-40) runs along the old Route 66. Don't expect a major tourist attraction, though. The area around the rank has been developed in the last few years so there's housing and shopping all around.

4. Tucumcari, New Mexico, probably has more of the "historic" motels (Blue Swallow, Palomino, etc.) than any other section of the road.

5. Santa Fe, NM. No, this not really on Route 66, but it's not that far off the route, either. Don't bother with the modern developed areas, just hit the arts district. The Santa Fe Plaza is the heart of the district and has a very rich history. You can hit the district in a morning (it's not that far from Albuquerque) and be back on the route by early afternoon, if you're pressed for time.

6. Winslow, AZ, but only if you are an Eagles (music group) fan. If you are, then you'll know why you have to stand on a corner there. If not, just get ready to pay high prices for gas on the corner there.

Now for a more personal note ... if you've never been the U.S. of A. before then get off Route 66 and go north in Arizona to the Grand Canyon. I prefer the north Rim, which has less tourist traffic, and it will also take you to southern Utah where you can see Zion National Park. There's a couple threads on this forum about those trips, so take a look. Also let me know if you're coming this way I'll be glad to recommend some good areas for riding and some decent places to stay for the night.
Sounds so good I think I wanna go now!. Seriously tho, I bought a SERG outta the Phoenix area in September, and have been thinking about planning a ride down that way. Didn't get to see much on the trip as it was a there and back trip, 8000 kilos in 7 days, but saw enough to make me wanna go back for a better visit.

Quick Reply: Route 66 ...for European people.