General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good deals on good tools...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 01:10 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Good deals on good tools...

I am working on a birthday gift here at the parents house. Has anyone seen any good deals on tools lately? I am going to check out sears.com and am a member of the craftsman club. I am looking for a tall rolling tool chest and some good hand tools. sockets and such. Has to be minimally priced meaning $300-$400 for all I am hoping. Thanks guys.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:19 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Good deals on good tools...

Not sure you can beat Craftsman in that price range. I looked into Northern Tool but the prices were a lot higher. Not sure quality was any better, though. If you've got a Costco near you then take a look at them. The one locally has a great stainless tool chest for about $600, and it seems to be well made. But I have to say that when you put a $400 limit on it then I come back to Craftsman for total package. Good luck on the purchase ...

Old 11-22-2007, 10:29 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy a tool chest , make sure you get the one with the roller bearing drawers. The ones that dont (like I have) are hard to open when loaded down. I did see a tool chest at Harbor Frieght for a good price but havnt seen it in person yet.[8D]

Old 11-22-2007, 11:34 PM
repsol
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Craigslist you might find some schlep selling a snap on box with tools. I always peruse there. I have seem some awesome deals. Although Craftsman are fine tools for the back yard guy.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:17 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Also keep a eye out on ebay for hand tools.....theyre are many auto techs who need money around the holidays and hock their Snap-On tools, like I have in the past.....then they never get them out and they end up on ebay.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:38 AM
azhole
Road Master

I've lost my faith in craftsman tools, especially the ratchets, and especially on a vehicle that I would be stranded in and not have a working tool to fix it. I would want to shove that ratchet, or broken screwdriver or whatever, right up someone. I used to trust, and even like, craftsman, I have a couple sets of their tools, but I no longer feel I can rely on them the way they've been breaking and falling apart anymore.
I'd go with the craigs list, or yard sale for quality, reliable tools, especially when it's freezing out and your *** is relying on them to get to a safe place.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:25 AM
tobyhd1
Tourer

If you want to spend 3-400$ on both tools and box,You better just concentrate on the tools.You want a tall roller?Any semi decent quality roller will eat that up +.You`ll get a decent amount of tools for that money(sears),just have to keep them in a cardboard box.If your a member of Sears,you shold have a good idea already that your $400 `aint gonna get you to far.Toby

Old 11-23-2007, 06:16 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: azhole

I've lost my faith in craftsman tools, especially the ratchets, and especially on a vehicle that I would be stranded in and not have a working tool to fix it. I would want to shove that ratchet, or broken screwdriver or whatever, right up someone. I used to trust, and even like, craftsman, I have a couple sets of their tools, but I no longer feel I can rely on them the way they've been breaking and falling apart anymore.
I'd go with the craigs list, or yard sale for quality, reliable tools, especially when it's freezing out and your *** is relying on them to get to a safe place.
Craftsman tools are fine for some people, but the second you start using your tools to earn a living and they spend time in your hands.....you will INSTANTLY see/feel to difference in quality.....and after a month or so you will see the difference in durabilty......I can totally wear out a Craftsman 10mm 12pt.box end wrench inside of three months if I am am working on jap bikes,......same goes for many of their tools. The 6 point sockets and box end wrenches aint too bad, but I dont know how the owners of Craftsman have the nerve to call what they consider a screwdriver a "professional tool". Craftsman brand screwdrivers are the VERY WORST.....the quality of the materials used is junk....the Philip's tips do not fit correctly and never did.....the flat blade drivers will crack and chip the first day.....and I would rather grab a handful of broken glass with dog **** all over it before I would have to grab the handle of a Craftsman driver.....just my .02 though.....YMMV.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:46 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

thHonestly,,, to go out and buy a "complete" set of tools for $300.... better off buyin a box of fruit loops.
if ya want top quality,lasting stuff,,,, prob'y take a few years, if ya buy 1 decent "set of___?, at a time.

thats if you dont have $$$ fallin out of all your pockets

start out lookin for a good socket set first,, then box wrenches,,,then,,, etc,,etc

the positive side of craftsman,, if ya live close by,,,, run down and get the tool replaced

Old 11-23-2007, 07:23 AM
Donald A
Tourer

Bizz44, how do you really feel about Crapsman
I have a lot of Crapsman tools, most of them are older and are adequate for the limited wrenching I do. I have gotta say the newer ratchets are a piece of crap and will fail.

Quick Reply: Good deals on good tools...