General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about buying a new deluxe???

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 11:07 AM
San Jose Ed
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about buying a new deluxe???

Happy thanksgiving everyone!

I am getting ready to purchase my first Harley, a 2008 deluxe. I have a couple of questions for you experts.

1. How much should I pay? MSRP?
2. Extended warranty, do I need one? If so how much should I expect to pay as I know there is a big price range.

Thank you in advance,
Ed

Old 11-22-2007, 11:23 AM
spikehyre
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Questions about buying a new deluxe???

Seems like most dealers will do MSRP plus setup...which will vary by dealer. I would do a West Coast search by dealer and see what they are offering on their sites. WWW.HarleyDavidson.com should get you to a website. I would certainly compare prices on in stock 07 vs. the 08's as well. Of course any dealer will hook you up to the parts mgr. so that you can drive away with some new add ons.....keeps you from thinking about paying more for the bike than your last two cars....course, those cars never made you smile like the bike will....and you can take that to the bank.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Questions about buying a new deluxe???

Well it's winter, so dealers should be a little more eager to negotiate. I just bought my new '08 Road Glide and was surprised that I was able to go about four rounds with the salesman, sales manager, and finance guy until we came up with a price I could live with. Hard to tell what's what with trade in values, etc. but I feel like I bought the new bike for a little less than MSRP and pretty aggressive trade in allowance on my old bike.

I'm not sure about extended warranties - I did not buy one for this bike, but had one with my last bike. Most analysts agree that it's hard to make an extended warrany pay for itself. Since I traded my last bike after only owning it for 14 months, it was a waste of money. HD's 24 month unlimited mileage warranty seems good enough for me since I ride about 15k miles a year. If something's going to break, it will probably do so during that first 30k miles. At least that's how I figure it this week!