General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping Garage Warm in Winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 02:07 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Keeping Garage Warm in Winter?

I usually just open the door.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 11-22-2007, 02:42 PM
cadillac
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built a new 2.5 car garage.. 26x32. I heat it with a Nesco Cornburner. Its a fireplace insert but I can mount it in the garage with zero clearance. Double walled 5" pipe directly out the sidewall with a special cap. The exhaust goes out the center pipe and fresh air for the combustion chamber comes from outside. Completely enclosed flame so no worries about gas fumes. Uses about 1 bushel a day of locally renewable corn. Produces a "klunker" ... a 4x4x4 pumice-like rock you remove once a day. I had it off all nite here and its 66 in here now. I could be at 74 but I like it a bit cooler than most. Besides at warmer temps, beer gets warmer faster too.

bob

Old 11-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 222 Posts

ORIGINAL: Professor

How do you guys keep your garages warm enough to work on bikes in winter? Wife insists I stay away from propane stoves. Help, I'm freezing my *** off working on bikes.
I justmove the thermostat from 60, upto 67 degrees while I'm in there working. I'm fortunate to have central gas heat in my motorcycle garage but I feel your pain. I haven't always had a heated garage.I haven't always even had a garage.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:21 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring the bike into the living room and move the sofa out to the garage. just be sure you have **** carpeting so that you don't slip on any spilled oil.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:30 PM
drifter4
Cruiser

Interesting topic for most of us that like to tinker on our own bikes in the garage.
I'm planning on building a 28 X 24 garage next summer and will be placing flex tubing in the cement floor, so I can eventually heat the garage with a couple solar panels. I have some 12 volt low amp. water/glycol pumps allready and have been reading up on how to do this installion, as effeciently as possible.Hopefully as chaep as possible!
Any links, any of you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
A heated garage sure makes working on the bikes all that more enoyable.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:21 PM
2deuce
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a Hot Dawg heater. They have them for all different size areas, in gas or propane. Most greenhouse suppliers carry them. The one in my last garage worked so well, I ordered on for the new place as soon as we signed the papers.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Psycho
Road Master

ORIGINAL: gman

Bring the bike into the living room and move the sofa out to the garage. just be sure you have **** carpeting so that you don't slip on any spilled oil.

This may help with the irrational fears thing. She'll either get over them and let you heat the garage with propane, or leave. Either way, you get to heat the garage with propane. Salamander heaters work great.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:14 PM
oneshotdog
Tourer

I just bought one of those electric oil heater from costco, it seems to keep the garage reasonable, it was 59$, its been -10 - 15 celcius, and it was still comfy this am

Old 11-22-2007, 08:17 PM
repsol
Intermediate

I don't know how cold you are talking about but I when I used to live in WA I used to use two halogen lights to light and heat me. I did what someone earlier said and moved to AZ. I would seriously consider that because the heat is here and constant. 80 degrees today.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Sol
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's my poor man's garage heater for milder climates: 500W Halogen light shined on the bike for about 30 minutesbefore and during the time I'm working on it.

One of these days I'm going to break down and get another light so I can work on both sides of the bike in cold weather.

Quick Reply: Keeping Garage Warm in Winter?