General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To be true to the dealer...or not.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 05:42 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts
Default RE: To be true to the dealer...or not.

Give them the option. I bought my SEII slip ons from the local dealer. He caved somewhat when I told them I found a better price on the internet. I told him I wanted to support the shop I bought and have my bike serviced at.
They were more than fair.
MikeM

Old 11-20-2007, 09:30 PM
laz
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 9,633 Likes on 3,439 Posts

There's something to be said for face-to-face interaction. It really is harder to screw someone when you know you're going to have to do it in person. So far, my dealer has treated me well during the sale, service, and all my trips to the parts counter.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought my bike used from a friend. After having some noises I could not locate or fix, I took my 95 Ultra to the dealer for some work. The service writer was all smiles till I told him my bike was a 1995. His words " WE don't work on old crap like that" to which I replied " I don't buy jack squat from ****** like you either" I do support my local indy and he has really taken care of me. He gets my loyalty without question. His advice is always spot on and he never just swaps parts to fix something. He diagnoses, plans the work and works the plan. Never have paid his full price for work done but he knows I'm coming back for work and tires and .....

Bubba

Old 11-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Telly03
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

Being loyal to your local dealer is like being loyal to a Tijuana *****. The minute your wallet is empty, you no longer matter to them.
Good line, but not always true. I was just at my dealer looking at their Wiley G's... their salesguy asked if I was military and then told me that the Navy Exchange has them for much cheaper.His motivation was not to get the bills out of my pocket... at least not this day. The little things like that earns my business when I need to make the decision to mail order bike parts or visit the dealer. It's also the face-to-face, and the opportunity to look at new bikes and parts, and pick their brains with odd questions. When I come in they tell me to make myself at home. No bad experiences yet... knock on wood.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:51 AM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a preferred dealer (Kutter in Janesville WI) but I will be straight up and tell them I can get it cheaper at whatever. They always match the price. You need to speak up.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:34 AM
daharleyrdr
Tourer

I will tell ya this Ive been on HD Iron since 1983 and I always tried to be loyal to my local dealer, but in the days prior to 2000 there was a different market and dealers were "STEELERS" now the times have changed and its the Dealers treating us differently. I have always wanted to buy my new bikes from my local dealer but traveled to a dealer 70 miles from home for all new bike purchues, and I saved a minimum of $1K and labor charges on service, so I was pretty much loyal. Well I just bought an 08 FLHTC and my hometown dealer 20 minutes from me beat the dealer 70 miles from home by about $125.00 hell I was happy they met the price let alone beat it. So now I am changing my loyalty to the home dealer although I just got a quote from him to put on detachables charging me 2 hours labor @ 85 an hour, ouch. As far as parts and stuff on the internet yeah I shop Zanottis but only on bolt on chrome an stuff I can do myself, mechanical parts Id rather get em from my dealer as Im not a Super Wrench. Used to get stuff on E Bay but thats no bargin and Zanottis will beat the prices of the used E Bay stuff although their shipping is a little high, I still like em. Im looking to give my new found local dealer a shot at all my hard earned dollars beginning with this new bike! Thanks Bill

Old 11-21-2007, 11:40 AM
scottmichael
Intermediate

I know I shouldn't even begin to answer, but I will. I am a dealer. I'm not a stealer, though I've been reffered to as one, though I've never stolen anything in my life. I charge a fair price and provide a service that I feel is equal to, if not outweighs the price I charge. I guess, to answer your question, what are your values? Does the price the dealer originaly charged you meet your standards? Was the treatment you received worth it? It apparently was, since you entered into the transaction. Be very carful about dealing only in price. Make sure value enters the equation somewhere. I waw the comment that the dealer should offer to match the online price in order to keep your loyalty. This is rarely possible. Often, the online merchant does not stock the part you want. Under this circumstance, there is no holding cost. They will wait until your order comes in, then place the order. You will wait...and wait until it arrives at the online merchants warehouse, and then it will be shipped to you. It will most likely not be touched by someone who was trained in its fitment and use, therefore the labor cost will also be less. They are relying on you to be the parts and accessories expert. I hope you picked the correct part when you ordered, because if you didn't, get ready to box it up and ship it back.Occasionally I will see people come into my store and shop my walls. They will ask my parts and accessory associates for advice and help. Then I will see them write down the part number and leave. I know what they are doing. I guess I was raised differently then that, but I try to offer them help, nonetheless. I do it in hopes that they will remember the way theat they were treated in my store. I have done a lot of checking on the value of online purchases. I have personnally ordered HD P&A from an online source that claimed deep discounts. I compared the final bill on a set of chrome switch housings PN 70223-96B. When they arrived to me nearly 12 days later, with the discount and with freight, I saved about $14. A little over a dollar a day that I had to wait. I called them and told them they were not the ones I wanted and asked to return them. They gladly obliged, for a 20% restock fee, plus freight. I asked them if they'd exchange them, and they again gladly obliged, for freight and another 10-14 day wait. I compared the savings to a customer who was a member of our Rider Rewards club, and the savings was about $0.09 a day for each day I waited for them to arrive.

Should you be loyal to your dealer? I don't know. Has he earned it? Is he fair and honest? Does it matter that he employs people who shop and live in your community? Does it matter that he adds to the revenue of your local government? Do you or your loved ones work in a business that may face these same questions? Lots to think about.

Hope I didn't step on anyones toes, but at the end of the day, the choice is yours. Just don't expect more from the dealer than you would expect from yourself.

By the way, my CSI's are among the highest in the nation.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:21 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: scottmichael

I know I shouldn't even begin to answer, but I will. I am a dealer. I'm not a stealer, though I've been reffered to as one, though I've never stolen anything in my life. I charge a fair price and provide a service that I feel is equal to, if not outweighs the price I charge. I guess, to answer your question, what are your values? Does the price the dealer originaly charged you meet your standards? Was the treatment you received worth it? It apparently was, since you entered into the transaction. Be very carful about dealing only in price. Make sure value enters the equation somewhere. I waw the comment that the dealer should offer to match the online price in order to keep your loyalty. This is rarely possible. Often, the online merchant does not stock the part you want. Under this circumstance, there is no holding cost. They will wait until your order comes in, then place the order. You will wait...and wait until it arrives at the online merchants warehouse, and then it will be shipped to you. It will most likely not be touched by someone who was trained in its fitment and use, therefore the labor cost will also be less. They are relying on you to be the parts and accessories expert. I hope you picked the correct part when you ordered, because if you didn't, get ready to box it up and ship it back.Occasionally I will see people come into my store and shop my walls. They will ask my parts and accessory associates for advice and help. Then I will see them write down the part number and leave. I know what they are doing. I guess I was raised differently then that, but I try to offer them help, nonetheless. I do it in hopes that they will remember the way theat they were treated in my store. I have done a lot of checking on the value of online purchases. I have personnally ordered HD P&A from an online source that claimed deep discounts. I compared the final bill on a set of chrome switch housings PN 70223-96B. When they arrived to me nearly 12 days later, with the discount and with freight, I saved about $14. A little over a dollar a day that I had to wait. I called them and told them they were not the ones I wanted and asked to return them. They gladly obliged, for a 20% restock fee, plus freight. I asked them if they'd exchange them, and they again gladly obliged, for freight and another 10-14 day wait. I compared the savings to a customer who was a member of our Rider Rewards club, and the savings was about $0.09 a day for each day I waited for them to arrive.

Should you be loyal to your dealer? I don't know. Has he earned it? Is he fair and honest? Does it matter that he employs people who shop and live in your community? Does it matter that he adds to the revenue of your local government? Do you or your loved ones work in a business that may face these same questions? Lots to think about.

Hope I didn't step on anyones toes, but at the end of the day, the choice is yours. Just don't expect more from the dealer than you would expect from yourself.

By the way, my CSI's are among the highest in the nation.
Nice post Scott and good thoughts.

Unfortunatedly the dealer nearest to me is dishonest, hires the slimiest characters you could imagine and tries to cheat me. When I bought my last new bike from them they had a "system" exactly like the worst of used car dealers. They must have thought I was a complete idiot. I had to sit tight for a few days and tell them I would pay msrp + HD's listed freight + $200 setup and they finally came around. I've never been back inside the place.

If I had someone like you nearby I would appreciate it and be loyal. As it is, I have found a good indy

Old 11-21-2007, 02:06 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,454 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Not

Old 11-21-2007, 02:06 PM
jr_c6
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work with the same parts guy every time I want something done. He gives me a fair discount on the parts. Not as much as some of the internet vendors, but he makes it worth my time. The folks in this shop are friendly and take the time to just shoot the breeze. They have definitely earned my business and I have a blast just stopping by. The little I would save buying over the net does not make up for the good and friendly service I receive.