General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad dealer posts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 09:27 AM
LRonHoover
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bad dealer posts!!!

ORIGINAL: 1FLTRI4ME

ORIGINAL: lilmike9
Why do people think that they've been raised to a new level just because they buy a Harley? Will it make you cool ?
Why do somepeople think they've been raised to a new level just because they work at a HD dealership? Does it make you feel that you know more about bikes than some of us here?
NOW THAT IS A GREAT POST!

Old 11-18-2007, 10:16 AM
dz672
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In September on 2004 I purchased a 2005 HD Heritage Softail Classic from Bob Schultz Motorcycles in St. Charles, MO. This was the second Harley Davidson that I had bought from them. On two occasions, I called the dealer to see if they had a part in stock before I drove over there. Both times I was told, by the person that answered the phone, to call back later. They were to busy to take my call. On other occasions I have found that the parts salesman was more concerned about making a sale, rather than helping me find the right part.
The latest incident took place on 7/28/06. My bike was making a funny noise and spitting smoke, so I took it to Bob Schultz to look at it/ fix it while still under a warranty. It has just over 6000 miles on it. I met with the “service manager”, and told him what it was doing. While he was filling out a service ticket, I asked him how this worked with my warranty. Without saying a word, he got up and walked away, leaving me standing there for over five minutes. When he returned, he turned on my ignition, checked the mileage, and told me that I had no warranty, because I didn’t get my 5000 mile service done. When I told him that I had it done at another dealer, he told me to take it to them. I explained that the reason I took it to another dealer was because he couldn’t get me in for 10 days and the other dealer could do it in 1 day. He said that he didn’t care; they did the 5000 mile service, so they have to fix it. When I reminded him that the warranty said that I could take it to any authorized Harley dealer, he got very angry and rude. He told me that he would look at the bike and it was going to cost me $200 if he found nothing wrong with it. I told him that was fine, and asked “What if it’s a warranty item? Do I still have to pay $200?” He told me that it was not a warranty item, that it was something that the other dealer failed to do. When I asked him how could he know that without even looking at the bike, he got even more angry and shouted at me “Do you want me to look at this thing, or not”
It was at that point that I realized that I would be better off going somewhere else. I no longer trusted this rude and belligerent “service manager”. I told him that I was going to another dealer and he said “Good, get the f_ _ _ _ out of my shop.” Shocked, I asked him what his problem was, and he said “I have a whole file of things that we have done for free for you, and I’m sick of it. I’m giving you nothing for free” The only thing that the dealer has ever done for free was my 1000 mile service. That was included with the sale of the bike. I told him this, and mentioned the thousands of dollars I had spent there on other stuff. He told me that I was an A_ _ H_ _ _, and to never come back. When I was leaving he also said that he hopes I “wreck my bike and break my neck”
When I got home, I called the dealer to complain to the owner. That was when I found out that the rude jerk I had been talking to was the owner.
As I have been telling this story to other bikers in my community, none of them seemed surprised. The question they all ask me is “Why would you go to Bob Schultz? They have the worst reputation in town”. I now understand why. Even though they are only a few miles from my home, I will drive the extra 40 minutes to go to another dealer that is glad to see me.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:20 AM
ae4782tt
Road Master

I agree with part of what you r sayin, knowlege is power! If you have NO CLUE about basic maintainance, no clue about tire pressure, or where oil goes you are MUCH more likely to get a$$ slammed by any dealer, car, bike, boat or whatever! Just sign a check and let them fill in the total when they are finished! In some countries you have to be able to perform basic repairs (change tires etc.) before being issued a drivers liscense. The more you know (as a rider) about your machine the less likely you are to be taken advantage of..... And also, I would venture to guess, the better rider you are likely to be too!

Old 11-18-2007, 11:27 AM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

As a former dealer service manager, one of my biggest beefs was with advisors that wouldn't learn the product. The advisor is the client advocate and the technicians' representative. So many service issues could be handled right on the drive if only the advisor handled the client in a friendly, courteous and knowlegable manner. Unfortunately, what I have experienced in most HD service departments is arrogance and stupidity. It would seem the employees are the ones guilty of adopting a pseudo-biker mentality. HD is marketing a high end product as does Mercedes, Lexus and hoteliers Hyatt Regency and the like. Providing top-notch customer service is expected if you wish to participate in that market segment. As such, there is no room for arrogance and bull ****.

As for the techs, they may be the best in their field, but are only as good as the advisor the represents them. To you shop managers out there, if your techs are insisting on talking to their clients, I'd be looking hard at my advisor performance. They are telling you they aren't cutting it.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:35 AM
DougsDyna
Banned

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

man-O-man,,,, what we got here,,, is a bunch of long winded typists!!
lol
How dare you call me a typist!!!!!!!............... I'm a pecker

DougJ

Old 11-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Bear64
Banned

ORIGINAL: DougsDyna

man-O-man,,,, what we got here,,, is a bunch of long winded typists!!
lol
How dare you call me a typist!!!!!!!............... I'm a pecker

DougJ
one or two finger?[sm=confused06.gif] oh, right, now I get it, never mind. [sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]me to.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:56 AM
dirtnap664
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: lilmike9

I just read the bad dealer posts and must say I never realized how many first time H-D owners here want every one to believe that there long time riders. BULLSH**T!! I'm a service writer for H-D and am amazed at all crap I'm reading. Now I'm not saying the bad experiences are not fact cause even as an employee Ive had them, but some of the stuff I'm hearing is just plan made up or maybe said "Rider" has a bruised ego because he/she chooses to be ignorant to the product and or the way warranty /esp works.
They wont void your warranty if they you don't want them to do a recall like the rocker box guy. And cd doors just dont fall off/you know who you are.
Why do people think that they've been raised to a new level just because they buy a Harley? Will it make you cool ? Only in your head. All dealerships are in competition with one another. Just because we have the same sign out front dose not mean anything and that's why some dealers offer different services then others, like pick ups, deliveries, drive in appointments, scheduled appointments. And if you think one of the technicians are going to call you, think again that's what the service advisor is for. You new bees think that your new bike comes with no hassles or problems, boy were you wrong. We know when someone messes something up then claims it's warranty, give me a break. No one is perfect even H-D and there employees and yes there are many ignorant employees out there but if you educate your self on your ride odds of having agood experience are better. And if you don't even know what yourtire presser should be or where the oil goes you should not be on a bike in the first place. I know what riding does for me and looking cool was not the reason I started riding unlike many here. Learn your bike, give her a name, read your warranty paper work, get a service manual and stop crying because you choose not to educate your self. And one last thing, if it says Harley Davidson its going to be expensive but we all know that SO STOP CRYING OR GO METRIC!!!

Good way to make new friends around here....

The way I see it, as far as learning stuff about my bike, the reason I do it is so I don't get plowed when I do take it to the stealer for service. I know what they're talking about when they're trying to charge me $300 xtra for a thingamabobber when I really don't need it. Educating myself on my ride has nothing to do with the stealer taking forever to service my bike, spraying water in my stereo and frying it or the **** *** attitude they come across with talking down to people just like you are doing here.

Good luck with your job. You're not going to win any popularity contests.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:31 PM
pepesworld
Cruiser

It has been interesting reading some of the horror stories here about arrogant and ignorant dealers, it's especially bad when the *** is actually the owner...what a drag. I have seen that in restaurants.
I have been lucky, I bought my first Harley in 97 here in Bend OR. The dealer then also sold Hondas and Yamahas, they have since sold the Harley dealership so it is separate now. However the salesman that sold me my Heritage ten years ago is still there, and still knows my name....great guy.As far as service, I dont know, always done my own, but I have heard no complaints.
I recently bought asporty at the new Harley place, ( Cascade Harley)they have been great. They (several people there) know my name, always say hi when I go in. And have been knowlegable, helpfulland professional whenI am looking for parts or even just information. A few months ago, I traded for an 07 Dynaover in Portland at Latus Harley.....same story, theyhave beengreat to work with ( with the computers and injection, I can't tune then anymoremyself) I can recommend either one of those dealers. Oh and as far as the product reliability, perfect record, I still ride the Heritage; it's ten years old now, ridden it all over the western states....I ride that thing hard and fast, I will cruze that bike all day long 90 to 95mph, and put it up wet. In fact it is sitting outside in the blowing rain right now....it has never failed, never any issues at all, perfect reliability. And that new Dyna is so dam much fun I can hardly stand it! I cant even put it up for winter....I will keep riding even with the *** biting cold, andblowing rain.There are some retarded dealers out there, and some bitchy cry baby customers, it happens in every industry....just human nature....most good, some bad. I guess just reading these stories makes me realize how lucky I have been. As far as thehigher cost of a Harley.....you get what you pay for. So...what's my point....hell I don't know, just rambling on....felt like babbling about something.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:05 PM
jbhoyle
Cruiser

YEA!!!! I agree,,,,,,,,,,,,,, mayonaise does taste good on spinach !
Damn, my wife told me I was the only one in the world who would put mayo on greens. She gags every time she sees me do it. She says your supposed to use vinegar. Must be a man thing. HAHA!

Old 11-18-2007, 07:59 PM
pip369
Road Captain

mayo-naise is like deep fryin...you can pretty much do it to anything and its gonna taste real gud.