General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lid or no lid? It doesn't matter when it's your turn!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:55 AM
Slope
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lid or no lid? It doesn't matter when it's your turn!

Biker plunges 30 feet to death at I-95 ramp in Fort Lauderdale
[/align]Sun-Sentinel.com
9:35 AM EST, November 16, 2007

[/align]FORT LAUDERDALE - A Fort Lauderdale man was killed early Friday morning when he lost control of his motorcycle on an Interstate 95 entrance ramp, the Florida Highway Patrol said.

Jeremy Rabsatt, 29, was heading south on the entrance ramp from Broward Boulevard at about 1:17 a.m. when his motorcycle struck a concrete bridge wall, sending him over the wall and onto the shoulder of the Interstate 595 entrance ramp, a fall of 30 feet, according to an FHP news release. Rabsatt died at the scene.

The highway patrol release said Rabsatt was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.[/align][/align]

Old 11-16-2007, 10:02 AM
JC650
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lid or no lid? It doesn't matter when it's your turn!

This should get good.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 531 Posts

Ok I want to know..........did he have loud pipes damn it

Old 11-16-2007, 10:06 AM
lschultz
Road Master

That is true just like wearing a seat belt although you have to wear a seat belt cause its the law now. I have been riding for 40 + yrs and never wore a helmet only when Texas passed the helmet bill for a short while but then I went back to not wearing one unless we went thru states where it was required. But after seeing my son lying in the emergency room from the wreck he was in 8-9 when a drunk sob turned in front of him( he was not wearing a helmet) and what could of happened that was a eye opener to me so I started wearing my full face when I ride. I had just bought one several months before his accident and had wore it some. Never wore a full face before and you know it ain't so bad. I think the changes are it will help are more on your side.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:08 AM
tjbintz
Cruiser

A lot of times it's not about whether or not you're wearing a lid, but how you handle your ride. True, when it's your time to go, it doesn't matter what you're wearing or not wearing. But we don't need to hasten our demise by being reckless on the road.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:20 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I guess all that complaining about our guys in Iraq not having proper body or vehicle armour was just a bunch of crap since itwasn't gonnaprotect them from a direct hit from a rocket launcher anyway

Old 11-16-2007, 10:27 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Two years ago a friend of mine, whom I'd known since we were 4 years old, got clipped by the mirror of a jeep on a mountain turn. He was going about 20 mph or less. He went down and hit his head on the pavement. He died 4 hours later. If he would have had a helmet on, he would have walked away from it with nothing but a couple of scratches.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:29 AM
tideglide
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: carpetride

I guess all that complaining about our guys in Iraq not having proper body or vehicle armour was just a bunch of crap since itwasn't gonnaprotect them from a direct hit from a rocket launcher anyway
[sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 11-16-2007, 10:36 AM
txgeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Slope

Biker plunges 30 feet to death at I-95 ramp in Fort Lauderdale
[/align]Sun-Sentinel.com
9:35 AM EST, November 16, 2007

[/align]FORT LAUDERDALE - A Fort Lauderdale man was killed early Friday morning when he lost control of his motorcycle on an Interstate 95 entrance ramp, the Florida Highway Patrol said.

Jeremy Rabsatt, 29, was heading south on the entrance ramp from Broward Boulevard at about 1:17 a.m. when his motorcycle struck a concrete bridge wall, sending him over the wall and onto the shoulder of the Interstate 595 entrance ramp, a fall of 30 feet, according to an FHP news release. Rabsatt died at the scene.

The highway patrol release said Rabsatt was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.[/align][/align]
Ummmm lid or no lid? Ya think that just maybe at 1:13 am he might have had a beer or thwee?
Not that I have anything against a cold one but when I see MC accidents at that time it's frequently the driver was impaired or a cager was. Not sure what the case was here but for me, it's just another reason not to be on the road during certain times.

So yeah if you are wearing or not wearing a helmet and your time is up, it's up but your time might come up sooner rather than later if you or the person that hit you just came from the local watering hole.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:04 AM
CKinAZ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I don't understand is the constant need for ppl that ride without lids to dig up stories of ppl that died with a lid on. Is this some sort of justification for your own decisions? It certainly isn't going to convince ppl that wear lids that not wearing one is safe.

You do realize that for every one of these stories, there are a dozen where a lid would have saved the life of the person wearing it......

Let me guess, next we're gonna see a story about somebody that didn't wear a seatbelt and lived. Ya'll can tell that story to my parapalegic cousin who was thrown from a car at 18 yrs old cuz of no seatbelt. Oh yeah, BTW - the other three guys in the car had belts on and all were barely scratched during the rollover....

Quick Reply: Lid or no lid? It doesn't matter when it's your turn!