General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lid or no lid? It doesn't matter when it's your turn!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 03:55 PM
laz
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 9,631 Likes on 3,439 Posts
Default RE: Lid or no lid? It doesn't matter when it's your turn!

Sorry, but I'm not a big believer in the whole "when it's your time, it's your time" thing.

I can think of one exception. When you're sitting at home in Lockerbie, Scotland, enjoying a pint of ale and watching Terry Wogan on the TV, and a Pan Am 747 falls on you, yeah, it might just have been your time.

Other than that, most accidental deaths can be avoided.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Barton

So are the ones that believe "when it’s your time it’s your time; and nothing you do is going to change that" also the ones who believe gremlin bells work?
One has nothing to do with the other. When it is not your time there can sure be plenty of pain and the gremlin bell helps there.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wear one, don't wear one.....you decide, if you are in a State (or all of Canada) where it is law, deal with it, since there is nothing else you can do - it really is that simple......I don't knock anyone that wears a full face and I don't knock anyone that wears a ball cap

.....and unfortunately I know way too much about this subject.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:23 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Wanna bet it was a crotch rocket?

Old 11-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Tuckahoe
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe if more people worried about driving correctly there wouldn't be so much concern about who was or was not wearing a lid, and whether or not they had a gremlin bell or not.[:@]

Life is life, we can't predict every corner we round. Thousands of studies (theories) can say yeah or nah on helmets, according to DOT after you go over 35mph the lid could or could not save your life. The ones that know are the ones that survive either way.

Good thing about living...you can still make these choices.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:41 PM
suspect
Cruiser

who cares ........really ! i don't recall when i last rode and thought to myself you know today i may get killed. and for that matter i don't get in my car and say "today i may get ran over by a cement truck! life as we know it will end for us all,whether on your bike on I-95 in FLA. or as a 79 year old grandpa in a nursing home . if the law says "helmet" then its a helmet for you. but dont live with a sense of paranoia, and whether a helmet will save you or not. a helmet in my opinion is nothing more than a identification keeper at best (your mugshot).i have seen people with full face helmets on but with crush injuries to C-1 (fatal),and then there is me with a non-dot half lid flying 10' over a car crash landing on windshield and still stand up wanting and able to punch out the driver!(but she was a young girl).so until your date at the morgue,ride it like you stole it and take pictures on the way!!!!!!

Old 11-16-2007, 05:52 PM
ImYourHuckleberry
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damnit people. Every day another condom/no condom, helmet/no helmet, or lube/no lube thread. Get a life. I wish ya'll some warm winters, so we don't have to read this BS every day. Or maybe you can just hibernate for 4 or 5 months.

A cop CAN be killed in a shootout, even with a protective vest on. Not as likely though.
I CAN be killed in an accident in my car, wearing my seatbelt, airbag equipped. Not as likely though.
I CAN die in an accident on my bike, wearing a helmet, or even with full protective body gear. Not quite as likely though.
Someone CAN drown wearing a lifejacket. Still not as likely.

So what, exactly, is your point? Is there one? Seriously? I'd love to know.

If the point of these repeated threads is to convince someone to wear or not wear a helmet, I don't see that happening. People make their own choices. If someone is so weak-minded that a stupid *** daily repeated thread on an internet forum is gonna persuade them to wear a helmet or not wear a helmet, I damn sure don't want that person riding with me.

Fate? Gimme a break. Fate is for weak minded people too. Ride safe, don't do anything extremely stupid, and keep your eyes peeled and be ready for other dumbasses, and you can probably survive a lot longer. Someone running off a bridge has nothing to do with fate.

And I really don't think your state legislators are gonna read these threads, nor base any decisions on these threads, so if you want helmet laws dropped or enacted in your state, bitch to them.

Go get yourself some alcohol, dope, and some **** flicks, and find something more constructive to do.

Have a nice day. Ride and/or type safely.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:54 PM
akenaten
Banned

ORIGINAL: carpetride

I guess all that complaining about our guys in Iraq not having proper body or vehicle armour was just a bunch of crap since it wasn't gonna protect them from a direct hit from a rocket launcher anyway

[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 11-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Tuckahoe
Banned

ORIGINAL: suspect

who cares ........really ! i don't recall when i last rode and thought to myself you know today i may get killed. and for that matter i don't get in my car and say "today i may get ran over by a cement truck! life as we know it will end for us all,whether on your bike on I-95 in FLA. or as a 79 year old grandpa in a nursing home . if the law says "helmet" then its a helmet for you. but dont live with a sense of paranoia, and whether a helmet will save you or not. a helmet in my opinion is nothing more than a identification keeper at best (your mugshot).i have seen people with full face helmets on but with crush injuries to C-1 (fatal),and then there is me with a non-dot half lid flying 10' over a car crash landing on windshield and still stand up wanting and able to punch out the driver!(but she was a young girl).so until your date at the morgue,ride it like you stole it and take pictures on the way!!!!!!

BIG AMEN there !!!! Spoken as it is!

Old 11-16-2007, 05:59 PM
akenaten
Banned

ORIGINAL: Tuckahoe

ORIGINAL: suspect

BIG AMEN there !!!! Spoken as it is!
Ya know your're right. No more helmet for me. They really don't do anything anyway but muss up your hair.And I think to that amen I'd add a big ride hard and live free! American by birth but a biker by choice.Helmet laws suck!And choppers til you die.Loud pipes save lives! Biker born and biker bred! When I die I'll be biker dead!(that is one of the greatest sayings of ALL time and so true!)Live to ride and ride to live! Every biker is my bro!Chicks dig bikers!Choppers rule! And most of all HARLEY RULZ!!!!!!!![sm=biker2.gif]

Quick Reply: Lid or no lid? It doesn't matter when it's your turn!