General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need GPS unit-which one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: need GPS unit-which one?

ORIGINAL: DynaDude
I'm also thinking about getting a GPS, but I don't necessarily want it mounted on the handlebars.
This still involves it being "mounted" on the handlebars when in use, but I picked up this thing for plugging the Zumo in:

http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...erbar_plus.php

It is pretty handy since I can just unplug it and take the entire unit, cradle and all off whenever I'm not on a road trip. I would also just take the whole thing off when I was at stops and stick it in my top case. In addition to this outlet, they also have custom power cables for various GPS's.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:54 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anyone mention that the Zummo is waterproof also.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:09 PM
SpringerDude
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Tralfaz

ORIGINAL: DynaDude
I'm also thinking about getting a GPS, but I don't necessarily want it mounted on the handlebars.
This still involves it being "mounted" on the handlebars when in use, but I picked up this thing for plugging the Zumo in:

http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...erbar_plus.php

It is pretty handy since I can just unplug it and take the entire unit, cradle and all off whenever I'm not on a road trip. I would also just take the whole thing off when I was at stops and stick it in my top case. In addition to this outlet, they also have custom power cables for various GPS's.
Thanks for the link. Looks like it's a pretty clean look when the unit is detached. Now I need to find a combo GPS/XM Radio/Phone. I see that Garmin makes a chip for some phones, so I might have a chance.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:51 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a Garmin I5, it has a nice mount for my dash and a suction cup or sand bag if I put it in my Jeep.
Not as nice as the Zumo, but very affordable, easy to use and read, I can even hear the voice at 65mph

Old 11-16-2007, 09:03 PM
djamann
Club Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Myvote is for the Zumo 550 too Thanks for the powerbar link Tralfaz, it will be a great addition if I ever geta powerlet on my Road King

Old 11-16-2007, 09:09 PM
hdlowryder
Tourer

I have the Quest 2 and love it. I move it between two bikes plus the cars. I bought the RAM motorcycle mount. Its water proof and works well in daylight and at night. It also will last almost 20 hours on a charge. The only draw back so far is it is difficult to use if your wearing gloves. I've had it just over a year and I have had no problems with it.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:02 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: SpringerDude
Now I need to find a combo GPS/XM Radio/Phone.
Well, the Zumo 550 has XM Radio support (with some additional equipment you have to purchase, of course), and with the bluetooth support it will connect to your phone, so if you have a radio headset in the helmet and plug it into the mic and audio jacks on the Zumo it will handle the phone part.

I'm not much for messing with the phone part, and I have Sirius for radio, but my friend that has a 550 uses his phone with it all the time, and I think he got the XM antenna for it as well.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:26 AM
bourneredi
Intermediate

I have the Garmin Nuvi 660. It's a touch screen and has a widescreen with super bright colors. It also has the bluetooth and several other features. It is really thin but has a very big screen (Easier on eyes that don't see small details as well anymore). The verbal directions are great too w/ a british sounding female voice . It is the best I have owned or tested and I've had several.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:02 AM
zuma
Road Captain

How did you mount the garmin 660?

Old 11-19-2007, 12:13 AM
bourneredi
Intermediate

I got a mount on ebay. It uses the cradle that comes with the 660. It's a RAM mount, best out there IMO.

Quick Reply: need GPS unit-which one?