Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase parts online and local installation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Kentp
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase parts online and local installation?

I can purchase parts from Chicago Harley for 20% discount and not have to pay 10% sales tax. Save 30% over local prices. But, I would need to have the local dealer install. Have any of you done this? Do you get much grief from the local dealer. I feel somewhat of a loyalty to the local dealers, but not for 30% less what I'd pay locally. Are the local dealers pretty good about charging what they normally would when parts are purchased somewhere else?

Thanks.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:19 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Purchase parts online and local installation?

Ive not done it myself, and I'd be worried about walking into the dealership with an armload of parts. Any reason you don't just go to an indy shop near you and take the dealer out of the picture?

Old 11-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealership flat out refuses! Even a dealership that 50 miles away from me won't install parts unless I buy them from them..

Old 11-15-2007, 05:25 PM
bdavis385
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My local dealer is aware of the internet and will come close enough to the prices that it is not worth the wait, the worry or the hassle. Plus they install them and stand behind them. If I were a dealer, I would be less than thrilled if you came into my shop with parts and wanted them installed. Believe me, you would pay every penny I could justify.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Kentp
Advanced

I need to look into an independent shop. I'm just not aware of any close, but I haven't really looked into it. I'll bet the local dealers would most likely not install them. I was thinking about the Engine Chrome package or Chrome hand controls or chrome sprocket and rotors.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:32 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would you buy a steak and expect a restaurant to cook it for you?? Part of the profit the dealer or any shop makes besides the labor is the parts. another thing to consider is, what if the part is defective and gives up somewhere down the road? who will pay the labor to fix it? if you bought the part somewhere else and the dealer/shop just installed it, you don't have much leverage.

when I was in the auto repair (transmission) business, we normally refused to install customer supplied parts. they usually were cheaper in price for a reason (quality). yet if we installed them and they failed the customer expected the labor to be free.

if you're buying parts elsewhere (internet, etc.) and you can install them yourself, that is the best thing. if it is over your head, then probably ought to shop for a dealer/indy to do the entire repair, including parts.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:35 PM
WaterHog
Road Captain

My local dealer offers on line shopping, however , doesnt honor thier own on line prices in store.

Trending Topics

Old 11-15-2007, 07:34 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kentp

I can purchase parts from Chicago Harley for 20% discount and not have to pay 10% sales tax.
I just checked out their site. Seem like some great prices. Local dealers must love this place undercutting them. How are they on shipping?. I think I can install anything I'm interested in myself.

I agree with the other posters. You're asking for alot if you expect a local dealer to install them for you. Even if they do they're probably going to charge you more than it's worth.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:36 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

We sell GM parts online all the time. Its the way things are now. Some dealers install with no problem, and some flat out refuse. My dealership would much rather sell the parts they install but it doesnt matter.
I would much rather buy my parts at the HD store I bought mybike at. I went in for HD SE slip ons and told the parts guy right out that they are cheaper online but I want to buy them from you. We worked out a deal and I bought them from my local dealer. Not quite the same price but very fair. I want to support the guy that works on my bike. Ask them right up front and they will usually work with you.
MikeM

Old 11-15-2007, 07:39 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Chicago HD is right up the road from me.
Nice folks, good prices.
Ask for Munch.
MikeM

Quick Reply: Purchase parts online and local installation?