Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase parts online and local installation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:07 AM
yz88514
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Purchase parts online and local installation?

woody, thanks for the kind words, but as of the end of feb.
mt.airy motorcycle co. is no longer in business.
although on occasion we did install parts not bought thru us, it
didn't help our bottom line when it came to parts sales.
i understand everybody wants to get the best $$, but alot of the times your missing out on the best value. i believe you should support your local wrench. now that the shop is closed
i've heard from many people that are now looking for a new shop that can provide as we did and have told me, "i would pay more to keep the shop running if i knew it could close.
anyways, i would never tell anybody where or how to spend their $$, but if you find a good place with good people, i'd say the $$ is worth it.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:37 AM
skiahh
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't get this logic: you don't buy your parts from me, I won't install them. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

Labor rates are pretty high and, I suspect, generate a reasonable profit for the dealer. Because they didn't have to order, stock and deliver the parts, they didn't spend any money for that, and could just take in some profit with the labor install.

If liability's an issue, hire a lawyer to draft up a work order that includes language that says something to the effect that the dealership is not responsible for the warranty on any owner supplied parts and will only warrant the installation of those parts. If the installation fails, the dealer reinstalls another (owner supplied) part. If the part fails, the dealer's out... including any reinstallation.

Sure, I realize some low life will always accuse the dealer's install of causing the part's failure, but that's probably not much different than normal work with dealer sold parts.

I still don't get the whole HD business model of pissing off your customers, marking up everything (it's as bad as aviation!!) and refusing to accept revenue and profit.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Tnicean
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just ordered a little over $700 of parts from Zanotti's. One was the speedometer with the tach that will fit my Heritage. It was 419.95 in the catelog. It was $329.72 at Zanotti's. That's just a little over 20% off. I also got fender rails, a HD motorcycle cover (to take on my trip this summer), the taillight coversion kit to make my signals work as running and brake lights. I will install the parts myself. I appreciate being able to order the parts at a discount.
Tnicean