Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase parts online and local installation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:00 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Purchase parts online and local installation?

The Parts Dept. and the Service Dept. are seperate. Most Service Dept.'s don't care where the parts come from, they're gettin' paid for the labor.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:08 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Trock

I found Zanotti HD is cheaper on shipping and they give 20% off too.
And Zanotti's also give more then 20% of different items at times. I prefer to use Zanotti's.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:54 AM
Kentp
Advanced

I checked both web sites. Chicago had it for $599 and Zannoti's had it for $612 plus shipping. Chicago with shipping was $619. I'll continue to compare the two when I shop. Thanks for the info on Zannoti.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:17 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Almost every part that I have not installed myself and bought online has been installed by my local dealer. They don't give me any crap about it at all. I guess the way they see it they are making some of the money on the labor anyway. Something is better than nothing. And to turn away business is not the makings for a return customer. I guess it might help that I have bought four bikes from them and referred two customers who bought.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:32 AM
0204665J
Tourer

I just tell them my wife or somebody else bought them or I got them at a previous store sale (Birthday, Christmas, Anniversery) and have them do them along with my service work I may be having them do. In most cases they never even ask where I got them or would check.

In most cases I just ask and they do it.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Duder
Advanced

About 2 months ago I made a few cosmetic changes to my bike including new tins with custom rear fender, run/brake/turn kit, side mount license plate, changed grips and a few other things. The tank and front fender were used Harley tins but the fender wasnt..I purchased the side mount from Kyr but did buy the grips and light kit from the dealer. He never gave me any **** about where I bought it from but seemed grateful for the work. I was happy that I saved some money, the dealer was happy that I bought a couple parts from them and the service mgr seemed cool about picking up some service work.

There are some really cool (service) people at my local HD and I like dealing with them. Just wanted to point out that not every HD dealer deserves a bad rap..I have always had a pleasant experience at Doug's HD here in Florence, SC.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Kentp
Advanced

The dealer closest which I frequent fairly often has the parts and service department together. I figured they'd give me some grief. The dealer where I purchased my bike have seperate service/parts departments. I think that made the most difference and the fact they are really cool where I bought my bike. I'm glad it is working out.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: faber

ORIGINAL: mid_life_crisis

Slighty off topic but.....If a dealer in Chicago can sell for 30% less than a local....You know chicago is making money...no way they could loose money on the parts because they kow they wont be getting any labor from the shop......Just makes you wonder what the local shop is MAKING on parts. Ive used Surdyke Harley for 20% off ....

wayne
I know that the local dealers, who are not moving as much merchandise, have to keep profit margins higher to make what they need to make on the fewer sales (until the summer crowds start riding through), but still...

it does make me wonder exactly what that mark-up is. It must be pretty crazy.
Nope, the average markup on parts is 35%, clothing is much higher, but these guys definitely aren't getting rich off of parts. Zannoti's will not give you the same deal when you go into the store, the 20% is strickly online, becasue they also make a profit on the shipping. Saying that, hell, go where ever the best deal is........better in your pocket, than theirs.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:40 PM
SpringerDude
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Sam

Nope, the average markup on parts is 35%, clothing is much higher, but these guys definitely aren't getting rich off of parts. Zannoti's will not give you the same deal when you go into the store, the 20% is strickly online, becasue they also make a profit on the shipping. Saying that, hell, go where ever the best deal is........better in your pocket, than theirs.
I ordered about $350 in parts from Chicago Harley and I think the shipping was about $15.00, so I don't think they're making any money on shipping. Haven't usedZannoti's. I've been doing some shipping of my own lately, and $15.00 for Ground UPS for the size and weight of the boxseemed about right.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:27 PM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recently ordered a HDThunderstar chromerim, installation kit and hubcap formy deucefrom Chicago HD at 20% off.. Shipping was $17.00 (two boxes arrived in 12 days from order). Took it all to an Indy for installationcosting me$85.00 which included pressing the new bearings on the rimand installing and balancinga new tire (tire cost me $92.00 shipped off the internet). Local HD dealer wanted $774.00 for the parts which would have to be ordered. Installation at dealer would have been $150 (two hours labor). If I would have bought the tire from them I could have added another $135 to the dealer cost and probably another hour of labor cost. Total dealer cost including tax would have been approximately $1154.40. My actual cost buying my own parts and using an independent was $736.84. Couldn't be happier with the savings.

It's a "No Brainer" and even a caveman can do it.

Quick Reply: Purchase parts online and local installation?