Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase parts online and local installation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Purchase parts online and local installation?

ORIGINAL: gman

would you buy a steak and expect a restaurant to cook it for you?? Part of the profit the dealer or any shop makes besides the labor is the parts. another thing to consider is, what if the part is defective and gives up somewhere down the road? who will pay the labor to fix it? if you bought the part somewhere else and the dealer
Worked in a Flying A gas station when I was a kid. They actually had a sign posted about bringing your own parts and taking bacon an eggs to a restaurant. Good one!

Old 11-15-2007, 07:49 PM
pip369
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same with my local dealer as severum17. I worked a deal because of the internet prices. It was also Chicago HD that I told them about. They did not match the prices totally but they did make it worth my while to buy from them. There were some problems with some of the parts that were ordered and it would probably havebeen a real nightmare to work out over the phone and shipping things back and forth. I thinkmy dealer looked at itlike part of a steak is better than no steak. I will say though I talked with the internet manager at Chicago HD and he seemed real easy to get along with. IMO I would think a dealer would install parts to get some piece of the pie. Quite frankly it is the way things are going. I want to get some Chubby bars and I called and asked the localdealer about installing them and they were cool with it. From what I have seen the local dealer here is willing to work with people. They have always been family owned and when I go there I try to talk with one of the family members.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:55 PM
woody79
Intermediate

I have an AWESOME indie shop near me.
Mt. Airy Motorcycle Co. in Mt. Airy, Maryland.
Great wrenches & great people!
They don't have any problem with this.

F*** the Stealer!

[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 11-15-2007, 08:04 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a big issue in the retail side of many gear-intensive industries. Will local ski shops mount bindings purchased online? Will bike shops do the same?

(No local ski shop will do it. They cite all kinds of liability isues. One of the local bike shops will. The owner says some business is better than no business, and he says he always sees those customers back.)

My local HD dealer will do it. That's good to know because I have a holiday wish-list. If Santa happens to bring some parts, I'm glad to know the local dealer will install them.

That said, I always wonder how labor is "calculated" when they install brought-in parts.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:10 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,152 Likes on 1,810 Posts

My dealer has done it several times for me. When I had my gear driven cams installed, the service manager asked me if I wanted to get them online myself, of havehim order them for me. I also have a couple of indy's that will install parts elsewhere. My bike is currently in one the indy shops having parts installed I bought off Ebay.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:13 PM
sulconst2
Novice

maybe the place also sells manuals at 30% off. then you can install yourself.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:20 PM
fishafly
Road Master

If you don't buy the parts thru my Indy... He wants to be paid cash... A policy I don't mind at all...

Old 11-15-2007, 08:40 PM
Candy Azz
Banned

I have a crazy idea...put the parts on yourself and save even more. Just a thought.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Kentp
Advanced

I don't want to screw anything up, especially dealing with the Chrome engine Kit. I have zero experience with engine components or anything relating to repairing my motorcycle. The only thing I've done is changed the oil.
I am a newb at this. Some things, I'd rather leave to someone with experience. I'm pretty sure I can do about anything if it is explained and/or shown to me. But dealing with rocker covers, primary cover, transmission cover etc.... for the 1rst time, just not comfortable.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

I found Zanotti HD is cheaper on shipping and they give 20% off too.

Quick Reply: Purchase parts online and local installation?