General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets or am I from another planet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 12:12 AM
redscout
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmets or am I from another planet?

Just thought I'd mention this, and maybe it's addressed elsewhere, so I apologize if so...

About every thread I read has some mention about type of helmet, headphones in helmets, full face or brain bucket helmets, carbon fiber helmets, helmet helmets.... et al.

I never hear anyone talk about riding the way we do in Indiana most of the time, and that's sans helmet.

Maybe the people I ride with don't 'puter or something, but I ride with groups, charity rides, couples and even the bar-hop crowd (of which I've been guilty) but helmets have always been the EXTREME minority.

Having the legal choice in Indiana, mostly I choose not to wear them, but I've noticed that the prevelence seems to be "wouldn't ride without one" on this forum.

Is it a local thing? Are some afraid to admit they don't wear one?

I'll admit, I seldom do. I realize the risks. And it's my choice. I notice a lot of people endorsing loud pipes, which seems to be even less PC than no helmet, but at least here, it seems to be an accepted opinion. But I seldom hear anyone admit they don't wear a lid.

Opinions? You know, other than "only an idiot would ride without one"?

Old 12-23-2005, 12:25 AM
Detour
Road Captain
Default RE: Helmets or am I from another planet?

I think it's because the laws differ from state to state. Given a choice I've found that most riders don't wear them, at least around here.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:26 AM
cmorris48
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went through that stage before my son was born. Started wearing a helmet then and don't feel safe without one. Here in the sunshine state, it is not mandatory (there are certain insurance coverage you must carry if you decide to ride helmetless). My son also wears a helmet (at least when I am around) as does my daughter in law. Any one who rides two up with me also must wear. I'm a LEO by trade and have seen far too many crashes with head injuries that ranged from minor to life altering to fatal. Those wearing sometimes survive. Those "sans" helmet seldom do. It is your head and you can choose to cover it or not. Best of luck...ride smart, ride safe !

The following users liked this post:
DuciDay (05-23-2024)
Old 12-23-2005, 12:27 AM
Redhawk
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear one here in NC only because it's the law. When I go to SC (Myrtle Beach), the first stop I make after crossing the line, the bucket comes off. Most everyone I see in SC rides without one. I too understand the risk & maybe I'm stupid, but I feel like if it's my time to go, I'm going whether I have a bucket on or not. JMO

Keith

Old 12-23-2005, 12:28 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I got used to riding with a helmet back in my racing daze. Now I do it because Kat wont let me ride if'n I don't wear one. It's got nothing to do with the law. Well except for family law.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:30 AM
redscout
Road Captain

I'm sure that there is a difference in state laws, but when I went to Sturgis a couple of years ago, there were no states between here and there that required them, and I think there's fewer states that don't than do (sure could be wrong).

Just seems no one cops to not wearing them... even though hardly any of the Harley riders I know ever wear them.

Just puzzling (or regional).

Old 12-23-2005, 12:40 AM
cmorris48
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey redscout, try this link
http://www.bhsi.org/mandator.htm
oooops wrong link, give me a minute
here is the link to the Florida site
http://home.tampabay.rr.com/ourplace/Biker/newlaw.htm
had the other site bookmarked and did a DUH deleted it I guess ...

Old 12-23-2005, 12:44 AM
scooterbooter
Tourer

I started riding in the UK where helmets are mandatory. If they hadn't been, I'd be dead today.

Dead from severe head injuries sustained in a low speed crash, riding a moped of all things, at the age of 16. Due to a complete moron violating my right of way (on a roundabout).

Instead I got a scrape on the knee and a very bashed helmet.

I think the dying thing would have really sucked and been a terrible waste.

I now wear one regardless of the state laws.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:48 AM
rrockefe
Cruiser

Always wear mine.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:53 AM
redscout
Road Captain

Hmmm... That Florida link is a bit ambiguous. Says they are the 30th state to allow no helmets, then the first line says you can't (didn't read into the links much).

Sounds like 30 states allow no helmets, but most people on here never admit to not wearing one. I guess I appreciate the responses on here that admit they don't (although even though we don't seem to wear them here in Indy, it doesn't mean I don't want everyone on here to be safe and I've noticed a lot of responders admitting to crashing, too).

I hope you never read about my mangled corpse lying in a hospital bed brain dead, but I just hate wearing helmets. And, please, don't believe any of the charity scams if it's me... I'll put it in my will...

Quick Reply: Helmets or am I from another planet?