General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets or am I from another planet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 05:49 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helmets or am I from another planet?

I live in a state where I have to wear one but I do most of the time when I'm in states that don't require it. first time I went to S.C. I pulled the helmet off at the state line...50 miles later I was putting it back on. I was MUCH more comfortale at interstate speeds with it on than off. I will say though it was nice driving up and down the beach without it. I have had 3 friends crash in the past few years. All 3 went down doing less than 40 (one was hit from behind while stopped). All 3 had on full face helmets and guess what was the first part to hit the ground in each case...you got it...their chins! Did the helmets save their lives, who knows but it sure has heck saved them from some long and extensive dental surgery. One of the helmets was scared up real bad. I can only guess what he would have looked like had it been his face sliding across the road. As a adult I think we should have the choice but I also think you are better off with it than without it....wrecks aside....bugs can hurt like hell.

Old 12-25-2005, 06:53 PM
CRASH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: sidewinder

I choose not to wear a helmet. It is a calculated risk I choose. Just me period. As far as your theory on larger insurance premiums I disagree. Maybe we should have higher premiums for fatso's that eat at Mc D's? Or higher premiums if you drink too much? How about those greasy red meat burgers? Wait, if your not a vegitarian then raise your rates!
Not so much the higher premiums. Remember in many states, your motorcycle insurance doesn't cover your medical bills. Those have to be covered by your health insurance. IF you have it... As far as higher premiums for unhealthy eating choices, you DO pay those. But the difference here is that a few extra pounds or cholesterol points from poor FOOD choices is a lot easier to fix than brain damage from not wearing a helmet. And when I talk about "us" paying for it. I'm talking about the guy at home collecting social security and "disability" for 60yrs because of a poor choice he made.
Ever break the speed limit?
And when you get caught, guess what happens... YOUR INSURANCE GOES UP!
I think we need to hang the cagers that cause most of these accidents. Most of them walk with a slap on the fingers.
You're right that cages are at fault more times than not, but I don't know that they should be treated any more harshly than anyone else who causes a crash involving two cars...
I can name numerous things you and most people do that are unnessasary risks. And in your theory we all pay..... This is America. Big brother has enough control on me. Be safe and ride free.
The government mandates thousands of safety features on the things we do or own. And a lot of them exist for no other purpose than to keep Joe Sixpack from doing something stupid and getting himself kilt. The mandatory helmet law is just one more. But like I said, I'm AGAINST it on principle.

Old 12-25-2005, 11:21 PM
jkirisits
Road Captain

i live in Indiana.. no helmet law. I do however wear one. I had an accident a few years ago, i ended up in the hospital for about 6 weeks. I would have walked away if I had a helmet on... so the doctors say. I don't wear one around the block, but any other time, i have one on. I also dont drink and race now...

Old 12-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Anniesage
Road Master

The state of washington is a helmet state. But, I would be wearing one even if it wasn't. There are just some statistics out there that I have seen that I, being older and a little more wiser from life's experiences, incorporate into my everyday life- like - I do wear a seatbelt when I drive my truck; I don't drink and drive; and I wear a helmet when I am on my scoot. I have had two 'incidents' with a scoot - and both times the first place that saw the impact was the helmet on my head! Guess getting older for me means I will live life to the fullest as I can- however, I am not going to tempt my luck or my fate. If others want to do that - fine with me.

Old 12-26-2005, 02:17 PM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as your theory on larger insurance premiums I disagree. Maybe we should have higher premiums for fatso's that eat at Mc D's? Or higher premiums if you drink too much? How about those greasy red meat burgers?
We do. Try getting health or life insurance if you have diabetes, high blood pressure, are overweight, or have any of a hundred different health problems caused by the actions you just indicated. You will pay more because the insurance companies have decided that, according to the statistics, you are more likely to cost them money. So, everyday that we make those unhealthy choices we make it more likely that some time in the future we will pay. By the same token, if you chose to ride sans brain bucket, and I agree, it is and should be your choice, then pay for the added risk. Simple.

Bill

Old 12-26-2005, 05:53 PM
triker uk
Road Master

beer,s like sex one whiff and your hooked you just want more and more and the more you have the better ya feel lovely beer

Old 12-27-2005, 02:45 AM
SMenasco
Road Master

Take me drunk, I'm home!

[IMG]local://upfiles/1638/F47F66DF4C5448A3AA889E7A0429F947.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-27-2005, 04:00 PM
LOTHAR
Cruiser

Lifes all about making choices and living with the consequences. I choose not to wear a helmet and will live or die with the results. It's great that we live in a country where there is a choice (at least in most states). I don't have a tattoo and never would, however my running mates do and we all accept each others choices.

Old 12-27-2005, 04:07 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will admit it...I am also from Indiana and I do not wear a helmet...not ever. The only time I wore one is on our trip to NC where we had to stop in TN & put one on due to helmet laws and then I just wore a novelty helmet. I hated wearing that helmet. As soon as we crossed the line into KY on the way home we stopped and took the freaking helmets off! I wanted to throw mine on the side of the road but thought I'd better stop and take it off!

Old 12-27-2005, 04:38 PM
scatterbrain
Cruiser

I wear lots of race-style gear, including full face helmet, no matter what style of bike I ride. Sure, I may never get hit by another 60,000 GVWR roll-off truck, but I figure, why risk it? It worked fine the first time!

Quick Reply: Helmets or am I from another planet?