General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets or am I from another planet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 07:57 PM
BigDaddy_n_va
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Helmets or am I from another planet?

Ok here's my take. I live in a state where it is mandatory so not wearing a helmet is not an option. Went to the fall rally in Myrtle Beach this year and for the first time rode without a helmet, I loved it just threw on a dew rag and went. Givin the choice of wearing a helmet or not I probably would not. I just don't like the feel of a helmet on my head. I would choose not to wear one but FULLY understand that my decision could lead to a bad injury or even death. I have heard arguments for and against helmets but I also know that in many accidents a death or injury could have been avoided with the use of a helmet.

My cousin layed his down and flipped on his head three times, he was wearing a full face and walked away with only scrapes and bruises. His helmet had a half inch gouge from front to back and one side was caved in. Without the helmet he would have had at least a serious head injury or worse.

I believe that as an adult everyone has decisions to make, I just feel that decisions that effect me and my family should be left to me and my family.

Old 12-24-2005, 08:44 PM
CRASH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Twohulabears

Ok, but if you get hurt because you don't wear a helmet, and as FLHTPjeff said, end up "wearing diapers and relearning how to count to three", who should pay the bill?
If you choose to ride without one, then you should pay the tab, or your next of kin. Anyone except the REST of us. That's why I think that any state that allows riding without a helmet should require pretty large insurance policies. I thought I mentioned that, but it was actually in a different "helmet/no helmet" thread...

Old 12-24-2005, 08:46 PM
CRASH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hah, HERE it is. I knew I put it somewhere...

ORIGINAL: CRASH

...I think that states who that get rid of their helmet law should replace it with a mandatory "really big insurance policy" law like FL and PA did.

Old 12-24-2005, 09:43 PM
triker uk
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im with you there bro i ride trikes and we do not have to wear them a loop hole in the law says no helmet just a bandana and shades is all ya need live life to the full keep on ridin[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif] gazza

Old 12-24-2005, 09:48 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: redscout

Hmmm... That Florida link is a bit ambiguous. Says they are the 30th state to allow no helmets, then the first line says you can't (didn't read into the links much).

Sounds like 30 states allow no helmets, but most people on here never admit to not wearing one. I guess I appreciate the responses on here that admit they don't (although even though we don't seem to wear them here in Indy, it doesn't mean I don't want everyone on here to be safe and I've noticed a lot of responders admitting to crashing, too).

I hope you never read about my mangled corpse lying in a hospital bed brain dead, but I just hate wearing helmets. And, please, don't believe any of the charity scams if it's me... I'll put it in my will...
Might be a good idea to have that will made out soon. I noticed your interests were 'bikes and beer"

Old 12-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: redscout

I guess it's like anywhere else... Some of us don't and some of us do. I always wear one when I ride in the dirt, but seldom to never on the street. I might on the street too if I could find one half as comfortable as my dirt bike helmet, but I have never been able to find a street one that doesn't cut off the circulation to my forehead after 10 minutes. My dirt helmet is a Shoei, but Shoei's street bike helmets aren't made the same inside. I've tried many brands and maybe I've got an odd head but none were tolerable for any length of time. I'd think I was a freak if the dirt helmet didn't fit so well.

Thanks for all the input guys. I can see there's definitely a law bias at work, and since Indiana doesn't require them that would explain why I seldom see Harley people wearing them. Based on anecdotal evidence, I'd say most won't wear one unless the law says they have to...(or they have personal experience with some sort of horrendous crash).

Anyone else have an odd head and have found the perfect fitting helmet?
Well, I wont go so far as admiting to having an odd head, but, I wear an Arai helmet designed for "oval" type heads. They also make a lid for "round" heads. Oh, by the way, what's wrong with a dirt bike helmet on the street.

Old 12-24-2005, 10:22 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SMenasco

The original helmet I bought when I got my bike was okay when I tried it on, but made my face go to sleep. I think it was a little too tight. So, I quit wearing it and started wearing a Stingy Brim. After a few weeks, I bought a new half helmet with "earmuffs" to stop the wind buffeting. Now, like seat belts, I am used to the thing and don't feel right without it. I make no judgements about those of you who choose to go topless. One reason may be that helmets just don't fit the biker image and helmets are for the old farts. Sometimes, with age, comes wisdom. Sometimes, not.
No...you got that backward. Helmets are for youngsters that are interested in reaching old fart statice.

Old 12-24-2005, 11:56 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Snarly

ORIGINAL: SMenasco

The original helmet I bought when I got my bike was okay when I tried it on, but made my face go to sleep. I think it was a little too tight. So, I quit wearing it and started wearing a Stingy Brim. After a few weeks, I bought a new half helmet with "earmuffs" to stop the wind buffeting. Now, like seat belts, I am used to the thing and don't feel right without it. I make no judgements about those of you who choose to go topless. One reason may be that helmets just don't fit the biker image and helmets are for the old farts. Sometimes, with age, comes wisdom. Sometimes, not.
No...you got that backward. Helmets are for youngsters that are interested in reaching old fart statice.
Exactly!!!

Old 12-25-2005, 03:37 AM
sidewinder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: CRASH

Ok, but if you get hurt because you don't wear a helmet, and as FLHTPjeff said, end up "wearing diapers and relearning how to count to three", who should pay the bill? If you choose to ride without one, then you should pay the tab, or your next of kin. Anyone except the REST of us. That's why I think that any state that allows riding without a helmet should require pretty large insurance policies.

I choose not to wear a helmet. It is a calculated risk I choose. Just me period. As far as your theory on larger insurance premiums I disagree. Maybe we should have higher premiums for fatso's that eat at Mc D's? Or higher premiums if you drink too much? How about those greasy red meat burgers? Wait, if your not a vegitarian then raise your rates! Ever break the speed limit? I think we need to hang the cagers that cause most of these accidents. Most of them walk with a slap on the fingers. I can name numerous things you and most people do that are unnessasary risks. And in your theory we all pay..... This is America. Big brother has enough control on me. Be safe and ride free.

Old 12-25-2005, 05:41 PM
BigDaddy_n_va
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I agree Sidewinder, Some people would just rather have the gov't make their choice for them. I will continue to wear my helmet because its the law in my state but I still feel it should be a personal decision.

Quick Reply: Helmets or am I from another planet?