General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets or am I from another planet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 10:14 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Helmets or am I from another planet?

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

ORIGINAL: Bruce00

Since Iam back in the wind now, in Jersey. I have a question for the full face helmet riders. While I bought a half helmet to ride with, its 20-30 degrees now.
I took a ride with my full face NHRA racing helmet. The wind noise was outragous!
Is that something that separates motorcycle helmet from a racing helmet.

btw...its not a cheap helmet, unless you consider a $450 helmet cheap
I use a Shoei RF-1000 with the little chin wind guard. I have very little wind noise. My friend rides with an Arai racing and he has to wear earplugs.
It may be how the helmet fits around your ears more than anything, but they also sell aftermarket wind guards. Never tried them though.

Here is a link to a site I found that helped me narrow my search down to models I wanted, then had to find which of them fit. They address wind noise as well.
Clicky

I'd love to ride without a helmet, but I love my head/face much better.
There is a picture I have of a guy that landed on his face without a helmet. Everytime I think I dont want to wear one, I think about the pic and helmet goes right on my head.

Thank you..........There's alot of info on those pages!
Btw...the wind noise I was complaining about comes from the flip up visor

Old 12-23-2005, 10:35 PM
XGlide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I rode go fast bikes first and wearing a helmet just looked cool. Lost a friend in Tampa to a car that didn't see him and turned right in front of him. He was wearing a helmet and the back of his head was still split open something terrible. On my first Harley, I rode lots of times without the helmet, because it looked cool. I ride my bike on a daily basis, I've had it four weeks and I have 1200 miles on it. I wear a fullface helmet because of the wind noise and I put a dark tinted visor on it because I didn't want to be bothered with sunglasses. My wife and I went on a ride this past Sunday and I wore my half helmet because that's all she has and I didn't want her to feel like an odd ball with me on the bike. Before she rides with me again, I'll get her a full face helmet. I could hardly hear myself think when I got off the bike because of the wind noise. When I get my Thunder Mountain Chopper and I'm ridding around on the local roads, there's a good chance I won't were a helmet. But, as long as I'm on my XGlide doing 80+ on the Turnpike I'll keep my helmet on. And yes, I can hear my radio up to about 80 mph with the fullface helmet. [sm=shades.gif]

Like seatbelts for adults, I think wearing a helmet should be up to the individual and we waste way too much time and money debating it. Kids under 16, don't know any better and should be wearing a seatbelt in a car and a helmet when operating a motorcycle. IMHO

Dave

Old 12-23-2005, 10:49 PM
Lpye
Road Captain

I believe the helmet issue is a personal issue. I do not condem or condone anyone for wearing or not wearing a helmet. In the winter I always wear one, in the summer it is hit or miss. I have been a Paramedic for 30 years. I have seen many good riders that either ended up in a casket or a nursing home from a head injury following a motorcycle crash without a helmet. There is also a cost factor. Medical care for a head injury can financially ruin a family and even make you an expense to the state for medical care. I admit at most Rallys I don't wear one, but Touring around multiple states I usually have one on. Of course that is not the smart choice. Several years ago I crashed 3 miles from home when a car pulled out in front of me. I was not wearing a helmet. I still have a scar on my head and a chunk of ashalt under my scalp. I was not permanently disabled or injured, but if I had been wearing a helmet, I would have had a scraped up leg. Food for thought.

Old 12-23-2005, 10:50 PM
harleyboy63401
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

When I started riding again ( 1997) I felt like I would always wear one. Then I found myself taking it off while in neighboring states that don't require one. This generally occured in hot weather. I don't really mind wearing one but it is nice to have a choice. I am lucky to sort of have a choice as I live on the Missouri Illinois border.

With all that said I only wear DOT APPROVED HELMETS. I once read a report about the damage novelty helmets can do. For example they claim that even in minor impact that they can crack and pierce your skull. I wish I had a link but this was from a magazine and before my days of surfing the net!

I always put mine on though when in bad weather (rain,etc.) and heavy traffic areas. But I tend to agree that when it is my time to go I don't believe there is much I can do to prevent it. At least I will go out with a smile on my face!

Old 12-23-2005, 11:56 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You are gonna like that flip up. I wear glasses and it is soooo much easier to get glasses on after hemet now. Short stops, flip up, redlights on hot days flip up, better than sliced bread!
On another note, several of you who have posted to this have stated in other post that you carry personal protection(and we aint talkin trojans here), but you won't wear a helmet which is what? Personal protection from cages gone wild or crazy.
ORIGINAL: Big Cholla

Wearing a good helmet saved my head from serious injury twice in my desert racing days. Even if Nevada did not require them, I would wear just to drive around my subdivision. I purchased a new full-face flippup HJC today to wear during the colder day rides. I also am LEO and have seen some really bad head injuries that could have been prevented just by wearing a helmet. ............. BC

Old 12-24-2005, 12:04 AM
CRASH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ******

You are gonna like that flip up. I wear glasses and it is soooo much easier to get glasses on after hemet now. Short stops, flip up, redlights on hot days flip up, better than sliced bread!
You are SO right. Especially for those of us with glasses they're great!

Old 12-24-2005, 12:12 AM
CRASH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: XGlide

Like seatbelts for adults, I think wearing a helmet should be up to the individual...
I disagree about seatbelts being left to personal choice. Wearing a helmet doesn't keep anyone safe but the wearer, so if you choose not to, no problem. Wearing a seatbelt keeps you in control of your car in case of a crash and THAT makes it safer for ME and everyone else around you. So as far as seatbelts goI belive they should be mandatory and a primary law.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:28 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick note of the flip-up.

In doing research for my purchase, I found that the DOT only approves the 3/4 part of those. The face shield is not rated for safety. I don't quite know what that means, maybe they can pull open...

Anyhow, thought I would pass that on.

Old 12-24-2005, 07:24 AM
Twohulabears
Road Captain

Wearing a helmet doesn't keep anyone safe but the wearer, so if you choose not to, no problem.
Ok, but if you get hurt because you don't wear a helmet, and as FLHTPjeff said, end up "wearing diapers and relearning how to count to three", who should pay the bill?

Old 12-24-2005, 07:49 PM
bobg1253
Road Captain

I don't care about statistics....I don't care about image. I do care about the reflection I see in the mirror. Many years ago I scraped a good bit of fiberglass off the front of a full-face helmet I was wearing when I had my "incident." Thats all it took to make a believer out of me. I will always wear a full face helmet no matter what my state requires. Just my choice!

Quick Reply: Helmets or am I from another planet?