General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets or am I from another planet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 12:20 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Helmets or am I from another planet?

AZ is lidliess. But I wear one because I chose to. Had a rock bounce off of my face shield yesterday on the ride home. That would have taken out my glasses for sure. The dang thing totally missed my batwing wind shield.

Lots of riders don't wear a lid here. I'm not saying one way or another if they are sane or insane. It's their choice, as it should be. Me I chose to wear.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:22 PM
FLHTPjeff
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Hampshire, anyone over 18 is not required to wear one. I choose to anyway. Bad previous experiences I guess...

Old 12-23-2005, 12:24 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's second nature to me now I've been riding with a helmet since I was 7 yrs. on dirt bikes my dad always preached to wear one.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:28 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

While I agree it is probably a good idea to wear a helmet, I never do unless I am in a state requiring one. I generally try to plan my vacation rides to avoid states with helmet laws because I don't want to drag the helmet along. I find riding is more enjoyable without the helmet. I've got a few bulging disks in my neck and the helmet causes quite a bit of neck pain and numbness in hands and arms.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:54 PM
liam51
Outstanding HDF Member

In Maine, we have a choice. I choose to wear one. In Maine, there is now a seat belt law for cars and trucks. I assume that the helmut law will eventually happen here too.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:01 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

I rode without a helmet during my early days back in the late sixties. I seldom saw anyone back then wearing a helmet. But then Virginia passed a mandatory helmet law soon after - probably early seventies - and things changed. (I remember seeing a die-hard Harley rider with a collinder tied to his head for a helmet when the law first took effect!)

Like some of the LEOs that have posted, I've responded to some grusome MVCs involving motorcycles while in the fire service. True, not all were saved because they were wearing helmets - the trauma was too great - but I feel certain that in many instances their helmets lessened overall injury by reducing head trauma.

The only time i ride without a helmet now is when I'm riding around in the yard...and I should have one on even then! Its simply another safety feature designed to protect the rider.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:05 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

i wear a helmets once in a great while depending on the ride if i cross over in to a state that has the law i have been in two wrecks and both times i was'nt wearing a helmet it's up to the person if they want to wear or not enless the state they live in says you do i've known people killed wearing a helmet and not wearing a helmet it's not up to us it's up to the man upstairs if he says it's your time i dont care if you have all the safty stuff you want on it make no differnt.[sm=biker.gif]

Old 12-23-2005, 01:12 PM
SMenasco
Road Master

The original helmet I bought when I got my bike was okay when I tried it on, but made my face go to sleep. I think it was a little too tight. So, I quit wearing it and started wearing a Stingy Brim. After a few weeks, I bought a new half helmet with "earmuffs" to stop the wind buffeting. Now, like seat belts, I am used to the thing and don't feel right without it. I make no judgements about those of you who choose to go topless. One reason may be that helmets just don't fit the biker image and helmets are for the old farts. Sometimes, with age, comes wisdom. Sometimes, not.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:15 PM
CntryFun
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear one 99.9% of the time. I've went for a few spins over a couple of blocks or so w/o one, but I'm uncomfortable w/o one.

Redscout, if you found an off-road helmet that you like, then you can find an on-road helmet you like. I am having the same problem, and although I haven't found one I really like, I've found a fullface that works well, and a half helmet that works okay. My next step is going to be finding a dealer for the.... crap, I forget the name now... its a new half helmet that is about half as thick, same proctection, and actually covers more of your forehead, so the wind won't catch it as bad. I think that will work great for me.

I've never had anything on-road happen that made me wear a helmet, I just don't trust other people enough. Off-road I've been knocked clean off the back of my quad from hitting overhanging trees, and I've hit the bars hard enough that I would have at least knocked myself out w/o a helmet on. That's good enough for me.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:24 PM
LOTHAR
Cruiser

I choose not to wear a helmet. I am like a dog with his head out the window, in hog heaven with my mug in the wind. Although that 8 hour, 500 mile ride to Sturgiss on my 05 1200C in 90 degree + weather made my face look like a catchers mitt. I may get a quick release windshield for long hauls. [8D]

Quick Reply: Helmets or am I from another planet?