General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets or am I from another planet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 10:07 PM
DanTMan
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Helmets or am I from another planet?

Been riding for over 42 years, and have always worn a helmet. I've got two, both DOT approved- a 1/2 helmet for summer and/or shorter rides, and a 3/4 for cooler weather or for long trips.

I'm thinking of going to a "flip up" full face. My brother has one and it's well vented and the face/shield section flips up when at a light or when in stop and go traffic.

I've got three simple rules, and I firmly believe that they've kept me alive:

1. Always wear a helmet

2. Never drink and ride- not even one beer

3. Every time I get on a bike I believe in my heart that every car, truck, and bus is out to find and kill me.

I think the Motorcycle Safety Course should be mandatory for anyone seeking a motorcycle endorsement on their driver's license.

But I am firmly against mandatory helmet laws.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:54 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Dan, as a follow up to your post; I've had full face, 3/4 and 1/2 helmets.

My last new helmet was by Nolan. It has the full face with the chin bar and face shield that flips up. Try one out. I love it. It's quiet when closed up but also around town in the hot weather it is refreshing to flip up everything and catch some breeze.

By the way, your rules have worked for me too!

Old 06-07-2006, 11:50 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Helmets, the choice should be yours. I live in a state without a helmet law for over 21. I demonstrated against helmet law in Indiana in the 60's when first enacted. The Law stated worn on your person. So I wore it on my elbow. When I ride out of state, I have to wear a helmet because we are surrounded by helmet states. I like riding without one, my OL wants me to wear one. I can see and hear much more without it and I am cooler without it (temperature). I like a helmet with shield in the rain and cold days. So, I guess the answer is, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Then you look at people you know who have smacked their heads and a helmet (Snell or DOT) makes sense. Still a choice.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:44 PM
WillyHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: redscout

Just thought I'd mention this, and maybe it's addressed elsewhere, so I apologize if so...

About every thread I read has some mention about type of helmet, headphones in helmets, full face or brain bucket helmets, carbon fiber helmets, helmet helmets.... et al.

I never hear anyone talk about riding the way we do in Indiana most of the time, and that's sans helmet.

Maybe the people I ride with don't 'puter or something, but I ride with groups, charity rides, couples and even the bar-hop crowd (of which I've been guilty) but helmets have always been the EXTREME minority.

Having the legal choice in Indiana, mostly I choose not to wear them, but I've noticed that the prevelence seems to be "wouldn't ride without one" on this forum.

Is it a local thing? Are some afraid to admit they don't wear one?

I'll admit, I seldom do. I realize the risks. And it's my choice. I notice a lot of people endorsing loud pipes, which seems to be even less PC than no helmet, but at least here, it seems to be an accepted opinion. But I seldom hear anyone admit they don't wear a lid.

Opinions? You know, other than "only an idiot would ride without one"?
I think that I would wear one even if I didn't have too. If I hadn't been wearing a helmet when I wrecked my first bike, I wouldn't be alive right now to type this.