General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets or am I from another planet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 06:49 PM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Helmets or am I from another planet?

I thought would throw in my 2 cents worth on this subject.

After surviving Vietnam and 7 years in the US Army I promised myself that I would never wear a hat or anything else on my head.

I was a tank commander in the 25th Infantry Division and wearing a helmet was a very uncomfortable and almost unbearable at times.

That helmet saved my life on April 18, 1968 in Vietnam. I have a completely different perspective on helmet safety now. Every once in a while I ride without a helmet on but it only take a very small reminder and I will stop and put it on.

I will very soon to be 60 years old and I'll not let some idiot in a car or truck that claimed they didn't see me make me another statistic because I didn't have a helmet on.

Dane

Old 05-29-2006, 07:52 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

deleated

Old 05-29-2006, 08:57 PM
Roadking
Advanced

I think I look goofy with my helmet.

I think I look stupid without my helmet!

Thats just me though! I'm goofy.

Old 05-29-2006, 09:15 PM
CoolChrome
Cruiser

Well its jsut like condom when blind dating a new girl. Its better without but that little extra joy can cost your life. Does it worth it ?

In my area, 99.95000% wear the helmet because its the law.

But i know that if tomorrow they remove the law around here, the number will drop down to atleast 97% the first year and more the next years.

You have to make your own judgement.

1a ) Are you riding without a helmet because nobody is wearing it ?
1b) or is it because you beleive theyre useless ?

2a) Are you riding with a helmet because its the law ?
2b) or is it because you have analyzed the risks ?

If your answer is either 1b or 2b it means you can made up your own judgement...which is good start. Youre not just following the crowed like zombies..

Now which one is the right thing to do ? is it 1b or 2b ? i think the answer is obvious.

Me, i put my helmet.. cuz im sure we only have 1 life.

Old 05-29-2006, 09:47 PM
16over
Road Master

redscout,

I don't even own a helmet (and no I am not new to riding, I have been riding for many years). I live in Illinois, no helmet law. I do most of my riding in Illinois. Unfortunately, I will be making a trip soon that will require me to purchase something to get me by, but it is in full protest!

HELMET LAWS SUCK! Let those who ride decide!

Old 05-29-2006, 09:48 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In another lifetime, long, long ago (1950's) I was a Police Officer in the Detroit area. I saw two guys that were killed from head injuries while riding a motorcycle. One was a fellow officer. I don't know what the outcome would have been with a helmet but I sure saw the outcome of no helmet.

I started wearing a helmet before it was even the law. Admittedly when I first started wearing a helmet it was strange and did take some getting used to. However, if I were going around the block now without a helmet I don't know if I would freak out or not but I sure would feel strange. It's something you get used to. Sort of like wearing boots and gloves.

Living in Arizona I still take a risk. In the summer time during out "Hot" season I will wear a Shoei 1/2 helmet for my daily rides. However, if I take off on a trip I will wear my full face helmet.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:33 AM
valvestem
Road Captain

The state I live in does not require a helmet for a rider over 18 yoa. I wear one anyway.

Old 05-31-2006, 03:03 AM
Unamed
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its personal choice, I wear one because its my choice, my buddies dont most of the time, its choice. However my buddies feel that it is very bad form and luck to call someone out on a ride for not wearign a helmet, or wearign one for that matter. Kinda like mentioning it might mean that youl need it that day. We dont ever talk aobut gear on a ride unless its something that could CAUSE a crash.

MY choice is to wear one because its sooo much easier to put on and take off then a casket...
Not pushing helmets, wear what you want, its just how i came to the descion to wear one.
And yea I'll run down to the store without or over to a buddies.

Old 05-31-2006, 03:28 AM
rrlavigne
Cruiser

In NH you don't need to wear a helmet, it's your choice. And from what I see most NH riders DON'T wear their helmets. But all NH riders own helmets because as soon as you leave NH and go into MA you must be wearing a DOT approved helmet. Up until last year I lived in MA where wearing it IS mandatory plus I took MA rider safety training where wearing a helmet was stressed. Since living in NH I've taken a few "in town" rides with no lid on and although it was nice to have the wind on my hair I felt uncomfortable, unsafe. So although it's not mandatory in NH I still use my helmet. It IS a PERSONAL CHOICE and I think it should be a choice but personally I'd rather be safe. (Or at least a little safer) I've always found it ironic that it's a law that you must wear your car seat belt but you can decide to not wear your motorcycle helmet. Think they're trying to thin the heard?

Old 05-31-2006, 03:37 AM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: redscout

Just thought I'd mention this, and maybe it's addressed elsewhere, so I apologize if so...

About every thread I read has some mention about type of helmet, headphones in helmets, full face or brain bucket helmets, carbon fiber helmets, helmet helmets.... et al.

I never hear anyone talk about riding the way we do in Indiana most of the time, and that's sans helmet.

Maybe the people I ride with don't 'puter or something, but I ride with groups, charity rides, couples and even the bar-hop crowd (of which I've been guilty) but helmets have always been the EXTREME minority.

Having the legal choice in Indiana, mostly I choose not to wear them, but I've noticed that the prevelence seems to be "wouldn't ride without one" on this forum.

Is it a local thing? Are some afraid to admit they don't wear one?

I'll admit, I seldom do. I realize the risks. And it's my choice. I notice a lot of people endorsing loud pipes, which seems to be even less PC than no helmet, but at least here, it seems to be an accepted opinion. But I seldom hear anyone admit they don't wear a lid.

Opinions? You know, other than "only an idiot would ride without one"?
Its the same here in Wisconsin I think the last time I had a helmet on was about 1978 whene I was in MI.

Quick Reply: Helmets or am I from another planet?